The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Bad News - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Bad News (/showthread.php?tid=101439)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Bad News - fatty pondirock - 06-10-2016

Just heard that a tourist has been robbed and shot near Ixtabi!!! If true, the fallout will not be pretty for Negril. Remember the recent thread about "Crossfire". Well....the line has been crossed when tourists get robbed and shot!!! We'll see how this pans out...but I fear many who were on the fence will now have solid reason NOT to return!!! This just sickens me!!

RE: Bad News - Likkle Red - 06-11-2016

It has been reported that he was there with his father and the gunman shot him 4 times.  No word if he survived or not.
Negril needs to wake up.  Crime is out of control.  This is going to hurt tourism as those who were on the fence just might go to Cuba now where crime is not tolerated.
Time to bring in the army and make their presence known and protect the locals and tourists.

RE: Bad News - Oldtimer2 - 06-11-2016

Tru mon , every time !!!!! It could happen anywhere just doesn't cut it anymore !!!!!

RE: Bad News - jitterbug - 06-11-2016

sad for the tourist and family, makes me realize how fragile our lives are when in jamaica . . .

i'm taking my kids, spouses, grandkids and great grandkids on a once in a lifetime vacation . . .  they chose CUBA because there is not the same level of crime as in jamaica! . . . so it begins . . .

RE: Bad News - rastagirl777 - 06-11-2016

According to what I've read on Facebook the guy died.  So now it begins...a TOURISTS has now become a victim of gun violence.  More questions than answers...WHY being the big one, none of us want it to be "random" but it just might be.

To many, now the sky is really falling.  I can't even react - numb.  Will the Jamaican newspapers even report this?  Waiting to be seen.

If the locals do not find this guy and kill him I'm not sure the police will.

Condolences doesn't even cover what I feel for the family.  This is a horrible tragedy.

RE: Bad News - fatty pondirock - 06-11-2016

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Canadian-shot-dead-in-Westmoreland

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20160611/canadian-shot-and-killed-negril

RE: Bad News - Sharleen - 06-11-2016

Sad news, nothing yet on radiojamaica.com, I did see the report in the Gleaner & haven't yet checked iriefm.com  As Fatti PonDiRock reported (great name by the way), this is what was reported in the Gleaner:

A Canadian visitor was shot and killed in the resort town of Negril this morning.
The Jamaica Constabulary Force's Corporate Communications Unit has confirmed the incident, but has not released details.  CCU says Police Commissioner Dr Carl Williams will issue a statement on the incident shortly.  We will have more on this developing story later.
   I do feel really safe where I stay (near to the Lighthouse) but often my place is filled to capacity from Christmas to New Years Eve by Kingston people in town for The Caves New Years Eve party.  Then I do stay further down in the west end.  I was there when Peaches was murdered  (summertime) and had just moved out of Blue Cave Castle that morning.  That creeped me out because I was often there for little bits of time talking to his daughter.  I was also there when John (from ?Wisconsin?) was murdered and had planned on being in Little Bay that day but got too lazy.  I think this might have happened during the summer because west end was TOTALLY deserted and I was in my place near to the lighthouse.
    I think that one of the reports stated that this Canadian was murdered in a robbery attempt. 

RE: Bad News - suzengrace - 06-11-2016

My condolences to the family...

The way crime is increasing in Negril, it was just a matter of time until a tourists would be target/victim...

So much crime in such a little town... and with little to no justice-no consequences..What is  going to stop this?

And the old " it could happen anywhere" is getting played out... There are many lovely little beach communities in poor countries allover the world where NO this doesnt happen here ...

RE: Bad News - rastagirl777 - 06-11-2016

So true Suzengrace.

OK...so my first visit to Jamaica was 30+ years ago and I know I was pretty oblivious to things...but in all those years since, all those years getting "immersed" if you will with the community, observing changes upon changes of the place, the people visiting, the people living there...the steep escalation of gun violence...I cannot for the life of me recall a tourist being targeted and shot dead.

Can anyone else?  I'm really curious if this has happened in Negril in recentish times.

RE: Bad News - Blues Pirate - 06-11-2016

It tragic. Really tragic. And a huge nail in Negrils coffin. It's all over the Canadian news media already.
The thought occurred to me that all of the shootings in Negril have been by dudes on motorcycles. Maybe all these a**holes are one and the same. Or maybe it's just the common and preferred way these cowards work so they can escape into the bush where cars cannot chase them.