The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Justice For Dave - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Justice For Dave (/showthread.php?tid=101436)

Justice For Dave - Firemon - 06-06-2016

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/crime-and-courts/death-in-jamaica-expensive-for-madison-man-family/article_a2b87fc2-c5dc-5e41-843e-9423398f95f3.html

RE: Justice For Dave - jitterbug - 06-06-2016

sad. . . . could happen to any one of us who travel to jamaica.
it's a sobering thought . . . left to the mercy or third world medical . . .

that family should save their money they are spending on jamaican lawyer.

that lawyer will get no new info for them, and if she does, so what? 
the man is dead. . . . there will be no justice.

just more unnecessary money spent . . . .

RE: Justice For Dave - oldtimer - 06-08-2016

My daughter does these trial runs for things like this every day . Insurance and things related to claims and crisis are not spelled out really good in foreign countries a lot of the time . You can have all the coverage in the world but if there is no cooperation then all is for naught .As an example my friend , Sista Irie , husband passed in Jamaica in March and she got everything done in days BUT !!!!! now she can't prove that her husband is dead . Go figure . Just be very , very , very careful " quote from my daughter " who is a professional at this !!!!!!!

RE: Justice For Dave - rastagirl777 - 06-10-2016

This is messed up.

On one hand - Dave had no business traveling to a developing country with a dicey medical system in the first place.  Dude was pretty sick.

On the other hand...he and his family have gone through an unreasonable amount of strife, on top of dealing with his death.  That is just not acceptable anywhere on the planet.

Take note:  Read the fine print on your Travel Medical Insurance.  More often than not they DO NOT COVER any pre-existing condition for which you have had treatment in the past 6 months.  If Dave's insurance has that clause, his family is SOL unfortunately and will be on the hook for his hospital and medical expenses in Jamaica.

My friend had to use his travel medical insurance in Jamaica this past winter.  He spent 4 weeks in the hospital there (MoBay and Kingston).   The AWESOME part is that the MediVac part of it was seamless - flew him and a nurse accompanying him from Kingston to San Francisco Business Class and he didn't have to pay a dime.

The rest of the claim is still with the insurance company but in the meantime every penny towards doctors and hospitals had to be paid up front.  While less expensive than in the US, that bill is hovering at around $20,000.00US.

RE: Justice For Dave - CardBoardBox - 06-10-2016

I thought your posting was good, with one exception which is subject to interputation:

Dude was pretty sick.

# # #

My original reply (which included the above 2 paragraphs) lasted 7 hours, but this section is now a result of a "full edit" because I understand "sick" was from a medical point of view.

Whereas the events are very personal to the family of the dead man, I fear we will never read any details of what actually went down.

Travel insurance seems ever so more important now, as well as making sure someone on the island can contact someone Stateside, and visa versa in the event of a major FUBAR.

I fear someone will find me dead in the local hospital waiting room

RE: Justice For Dave - jitterbug - 06-11-2016

CBB: we actually had that experience in winnipeg . . . 

a man was found dead in his wheelchair at health science centre emergency department, after waiting for 34 hours to be seen at the biggest hospital here!