The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Collapse at Royalton Negil - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Collapse at Royalton Negil (/showthread.php?tid=101417)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - kylake - 05-12-2016

I don't believe this article has been posted yet but you guys may have read it elsewhere.
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Gov-t--NEPA-knew-about-Royalton-breaches---JET_60600

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - oldtimer - 05-13-2016

The sad part about this is that it is like this on most jobs . They just do what they want . I'm not sure if it is they don't care or don't know , but I'm certain they are not willing to learn . I know if we didn't watch our own safety or proper construction practices , there would have been neither .

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - kylake - 05-13-2016

True words OT, yes I experienced the same when I was an IW. Sure you did as a UA.

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - Blues Pirate - 05-13-2016

Interesting article. I also find it interesting how everyone (including the media) continues to point fingers at the developer and contractor. It is without question that both are negligent in complying with all building guidelines and restrictions, however with all the agencies, bureaucracy and levels of government, nothing was ever enforced. Nobody with balls ever stepped up to the plate to actually enforce a stop work order at any point in time, force the developer to comply by resubmitting the plans and ensure that they were adhered to. Warnings were issued which was just a slap on the wrist and nobody followed up. Once again, money talks. People like to say Jamaica is a 'developing' country. 'They' have been saying that for decades. In my book it is still very much a third world culture. Some things always stay the same. One step forward and two steps back.

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - kylake - 05-13-2016

Quote: Blues Pirate wrote:Once again, money talks.
Indeed it does, I remember the first thread on the Royalton some time back was started. 
A cease and desist order had been given because they were not meeting some government regulation. They never stopped construction from what I heard and only 3 days or so latter that restriction was remove. I assume because money got into the right hand.
Not really surprising since it is a 3rd world country and that is how business is played. I have seen the same even in the US and Mexico neither of which are 3rd world. It is just more rampant and in your face in a lesser developed country.

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - CardBoardBox - 05-13-2016

Blues Pirate said "2 steps back." In perspective, if everyone else takes 2 steps forward, 0 steps appears 2 steps backward.

The country is trying, but the lack of progress is disappointing. Banks have computers and funds from the US are cleared quick. But cheques gets a 'hold' for 30 days, even when they know me. I got so ticked once, I asked if the president of the bank wore shoes to work.

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - rastagirl777 - 05-14-2016

Well, if you must have a bank account in Jamaica that's the way it works for everybody - a foreign check takes 30 days to clear period.  Always has, always will.

"Third World" and "Developing Country" are in essence synonymous.  The World Bank, who coined these terms while carrying out their mission to "abolish poverty" have abandoned "Third World" to describing those countries as "developing".  Thing is they never "develop".  They are always "developing".

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - Passion4Diving - 05-14-2016

Looking deeper into history, the terms First World, Second World and Third World had usage during the Cold War.  The term Third World was used to define countries that remained non-aligned with neither NATO, nor the Communist Bloc. The United States, Western European nations and their allies represented the First World; the Soviet Union, China and their allies represented the Second World.  Still, there was an easy mutation of the term "Third World" to its common usage today as even during its use during the Cold War, the Third World countries did then (and do now) tend to have high infant mortality, high rates of poverty, and dependence on industrialized nations.

[Not sure why this topic needed to come up in this thread.]

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - Streamertail - 05-14-2016

Those 30 days for the check to clear is actually 6 weeks. Absurd!

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - CardBoardBox - 05-14-2016

Normal progression of the conversation. The accident happened and they want to know how/why.

We want to know why too, but more of the general overall environment.
The photos and personal observations came from people that want to share. And I think/hope many want better. (continued below)

For the news, viewable on the 2 newspapers, is this weekly roundup item from Saturdays Observer:

Since (the accident), the government has issued a 30-day stop order on the project while the incident is investigated.

(this is the below): why do some things take so long in Jamaica. Why does history have to repeat itself. Will the people with authority take the responsibily to fix what is wrong?

One comment on one of the news web sites doubted if good suggestions would ever be read by the people who could make a difference. Related to that, when there were requests by police for the public to come foreward and help solve crimes, I was surprised when someone wrote that the criminals have found out who talked to the police (sometimes) and you know what that can cause.