The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Collapse at Royalton Negil - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Collapse at Royalton Negil (/showthread.php?tid=101417)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Collapse at Royalton Negil - Passion4Diving - 05-10-2016

There are have a collapse of a portion of a building at the Royalton Negril construction site.

Early reports tend to have only partial or sometimes inaccurate information as details remain fluid.

So as to not replicated what has been posted, I offer the thread from tripadvisor:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k9507932-Old_Grand_Lido-Negril_Westmoreland_Parish_Jamaica.html#75075808

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil (cell phones heard ringing in rubble) - Sharleen - 05-10-2016

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestnews/UPDATE--Several-cell-phones-heard-ringing-beneath-rubble

and there are other articles referenced in the one above.

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - Likkle Red - 05-10-2016

If I remember correctly, they had to get special permission to build 3-4 stories high.  There is a reason why they do not build structures that high when you are building on a sand based structure.  Most hotels, except for the recently built ones, are 1-2 stories high.  I think this is for a good reason.
I feel badly for those workers and their families that are hurt, unaccounted for and trapped.  Lets hope that the powers that be find the reason for this collapse.

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - Likkle Red - 05-10-2016

If I remember correctly, they had to get special permission to build 3-4 stories high.  There is a reason why they do not build structures that high when you are building on a sand based soil.  Most hotels, except for the recently built ones, are 1-2 stories high.  I think this is for a good reason.
I feel badly for those workers and their families that are hurt, unaccounted for and trapped.  Lets hope that the powers that be find the reason for this collapse.

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - Passion4Diving - 05-10-2016

Should have anticipated that TA would close the thread.  Here is a summary of the media coverage as of a bit after 7pm JA time:

http://www.downayaad.com/articles/several-workers-injured-as-building-collapses-in-negril_363.html

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestnews/UPDATE--2-construction-workers-on-collapsed-building-unaccounted-for

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20160510/worker-rescued-rushed-hospital-after-building-collapses-royalton-construction

http://www.downayaad.com/articles/browse-News-1.html

https://twitter.com/Lgrandison/status/730058337304215552/video/1

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - CardBoardBox - 05-10-2016

HedoDiveMstr, thanks for including that last twitter link. While I am not a fan/user of social media, that guy has assembled many various clips all in one place. Even one where the crowd was annoyed at being told to move for a 3rd time.

I listened to the 6 minute audio feed (mininster press conference (?) saying 5 people went to hospital, none dead, searching goes on, etc, and that they were pouring concrete all night long until the incident at 5:30)

Some videos start, with sound muted, as one scrolls by. (perhaps standard)

As for a minister without portfolio, the def is a minister with no specific responsibilities or a minister who does not head a particular ministry.

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - oldtimer - 05-11-2016

are these the guys making a $1 a day. From 1st hand experience I know that safety has nothing to do with jobs . I hope they are alright . I use to see about a 1/2 dozen workers walking the beach past Treehouse in March and they told me they were gigilos in training . I gave them all work gloves and they gave me a seed weed spliff . It was all they had . Oh yes I bought them a beer . No one asked for one but they looked like they would like to have one . 

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - kylake - 05-11-2016

I will start and end with how sorry I am for the workers on the job.

I have some video pre-collapse but have not had time to upload and post. It is a huge complex and building standards in most foreign countries I have visited are lax compared to US and other developed countries standards.
I know much had been mentioned about Chinese on the project but at the Royalton/Lido the workers are Jamaican and Dominican if there were any Chinese I never saw any. I went past the complex multiple times since it is right on the ingress and egress of where I stay at PV.
Roger a friend told me that the workers have to work for 4 weeks before they get their first paycheck. Then they are shorted on pay and quit and another group comes in to replace them.

With possibly low building standards (assumed), a work force that comes and goes, concrete that is probably not tested for standards, a rush to build (up) on "green" concrete that is not fully cured stuff like this happens and I have even seen it happen in the US if the general contractor has no since of responsibility and standards.

Not a fan of high story buildings on a beach (for esthetic reasons) but if the foundation is done properly you can build much higher than 4 stories safely.

I do hope all the workers injured are able to recover to work again and none have been killed since none of this was their fault. I blame the general contractor, design engineers, lack of government over-site, but mostly the Royalton Inc whoever they are.
When built, Royalton Inc, will be charging large to stay there but do not see the construction workers are paid a fair amount for a hard days work and protected safety wise. Most likely (Royalton Inc) will do the same with the people working at the Royalton when operating.
These are photos walking the length only part of the way to the end
[attachment=2496]
[attachment=2497]
[attachment=2498]
[attachment=2499]
[attachment=2500]

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - kylake - 05-11-2016

These are shot from the water side and are a progression of pictures to show the length of the complex
[attachment=2501]
[attachment=2502]
[attachment=2503]

RE: Collapse at Royalton Negil - Blues Pirate - 05-12-2016

Excellent posts Kylake. I will add that the collapse of the structure shortly after the concrete was poured is very likely due to inadequate shoring and bracing of the form work. A very similar incident happened while building the Grand Palladium and one worker was killed. The treatment of the workers is the same as well. It resulted in a violent strike as most of you will recall. It would be interesting to know if the Royalton has the same general contractor.