The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... (/showthread.php?tid=101291)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - Sharleen - 02-22-2016

What did you get to eat at Ivan's?  I have enjoyed your report.  Also, I am also interested in the barking dogs scenario at Seastar.  I usually stay at Citronella & the waves usually bar the sound of the barking dogs at least most of the time.  

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - ohliz - 02-23-2016

I never had a barking dog issue at Seastar.

And I am loving the report, please continue!

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - Tim - 02-24-2016

(02-22-2016, 11:53 PM)Sharleen Wrote:  What did you get to eat at Ivan's?  I have enjoyed your report.  Also, I am also interested in the barking dogs scenario at Seastar.  I usually stay at Citronella & the waves usually bar the sound of the barking dogs at least most of the time.  

I had a pasta dish, don't recall what Rosie had. Never even had a drink besides water, was too messed up for more alcohol. I do remember the service was really good, far above the Negril average. Food was good, but to be honest I rarely find fault with the food while in Jamaica.

As for barking dogs, pretty sure was not an issue at all, I never knew that was a problem there.
There is a tiny bar across from the main gate that played music pretty loud but it was never a bother for us.
We always have the A/C going at night anywhere in the tropics so that would drown out any noise anyways.

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - Tim - 02-24-2016

Thinking about my cookie experience has reminded me of a little story.
It was probably about 10 years ago, I had met a fellow online, he was from Minnesota or Wisconsin, can't remember for sure. We were discussing the fishing opportunities in Negril on trip advisor and had agreed to meet up and hire someone to take us out fishing, as we were going to be there at the same time.
We were staying at Country Country, he and his wife were at one of the A/I's back towards Cosmos. The day before we went fishing I walked to his resort where we met in person for the first time. He seemed to be a good guy, maybe 5-10 years older than me. It turned out he had met a "fisherman" and made arrangements for us to go out the next day. The captain was to pick me up first then we would go get buddy.
Morning came, and sure enough here comes our boat, a typical glass bottom tour boat, not exactly built for fishing. But whatever, any time in a boat is a pleasure for me, especially with fishing gear on board. It was a quick trip to pick up my partner, he jumped in and we shoved off.
Once we were a couple hundred yards from shore captain wants to smoke up. No problem, I will roll up too and we can have a double header. Buddy was all "no problem" and seemed quite happy to share the joints with us.
After the big smoke off we were off, destination being the Orange River. Well we get there after about a 15 minute ride to Orange Bay, and up the river we go, except now there's a problem.
My fishing partner is curled up on the bottom of the boat, looking as green as the weed we had just smoked. It was now quite obvious buddy was not an experienced stoner like myself. I was a little concerned as he was really struggling.
Now the captain has cut the engine as he was a bit worried as well. I ask the guy if he wants us to take him back to his hotel.
He replies, "No. I can't go back to my wife like this". He told us he would be OK and just leave him for a bit.
So I commenced to start casting to the shoreline and after maybe a half hour my partner was good to go, but his smoking was definitely done for the day.
He caught the only fish, a small snook. But it was a great way to spend the morning. We travelled quite a ways up the river and got to see some of the country most people never go.

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - Tim - 02-29-2016

A bit more....
I really like the new sidewalk, at least it's new to me. Still needs a bit of work but what a relief not having to walking along the road, and the best part is it seems the taxi drivers realize if you're walking on the sidewalk as opposed to the roadside, you probably don't want a ride.
In my past experiences on the beach, there are usually several places where hotel workers spend a day or 2 preparing huge bonfires for New Years. There weren't many this year that I could see but on the bright side, Alfreds had some pretty good fireworks which was a treat. We spent the evening at Bourbon Beach, it was quite full and the party was in full effect.
We rarely stay out late (past midnight), but managed a couple nights, both including a fair bit of time at Bourbon. We also watched a show at Ahhbees one night, might have seen midnight then too.

I may have mentioned this earlier, but I was kind of surprised to see the odd guy blatantly selling ganja on the beach, actually holding out handfuls of buds for everyone to see. Have never witnessed that before.

We are now planning our next Christmas trip. Won't be this year as we are committed to doing a "family" Christmas with Rosie's parents and siblings. I'm sure we will take off on the Feb school break in 2017 but as it's just a week will most likely do a charter to Cuba or Mexico with a direct flight from Saskatoon. But the following year sounds like Costa Rica is next on the list. If not there somewhere else in central America, possibly Panama.

Jamaica will always be there for us and we will be back, the people, the food, the music, the sea, the smells; sure sucks having to work for a living, cuts into my travelling time.

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - jitterbug - 03-01-2016

sounds good tim . . . you and rosie are travellers . . . way to go . . .

just booked my early december reach. westjet has some incredibly good deals that just appear for a brief period and then poof! gone! . . . when i see it, i book it . . . love the directs out of winnipeg . . .

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - Tim - 03-01-2016

I agree. The direct flight from Winnipeg is nice, avoiding Toronto is just an added bonus. I sure wish they would start up a direct to Mobay from Saskatoon. It would make shorter trips more feasable.

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - oldtimer - 03-01-2016

direct for me from Halifax is the bomb . Less than 4 hours .

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - jitterbug - 03-01-2016

ot, looking forward to seeing you  . . .
i'm usually in the ocean or the lounger . . . observing the live theatre . . . the view from both spots is amazing . . .

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - Ron-Mon - 03-02-2016

(02-29-2016, 10:36 PM)Tim Wrote:  A bit more....
I really like the new sidewalk, at least it's new to me. Still needs a bit of work but what a relief not having to walking along the road, and the best part is it seems the taxi drivers realize if you're walking on the sidewalk as opposed to the roadside, you probably don't want a ride.
In my past experiences on the beach, there are usually several places where hotel workers spend a day or 2 preparing huge bonfires for New Years. There weren't many this year that I could see but on the bright side, Alfreds had some pretty good fireworks which was a treat. We spent the evening at Bourbon Beach, it was quite full and the party was in full effect.
We rarely stay out late (past midnight), but managed a couple nights, both including a fair bit of time at Bourbon. We also watched a show at Ahhbees one night, might have seen midnight then too.

I may have mentioned this earlier, but I was kind of surprised to see the odd guy blatantly selling ganja on the beach, actually holding out handfuls of buds for everyone to see. Have never witnessed that before.

We are now planning our next Christmas trip. Won't be this year as we are committed to doing a "family" Christmas with Rosie's parents and siblings. I'm sure we will take off on the Feb school break in 2017 but as it's just a week will most likely do a charter to Cuba or Mexico with a direct flight from Saskatoon. But the following year sounds like Costa Rica is next on the list. If not there somewhere else in central America, possibly Panama.

Jamaica will always be there for us and we will be back, the people, the food, the music, the sea, the smells; sure sucks having to work for a living, cuts into my travelling time.

Yeah, I am a smoker so not one to be offended but I was shocked at how out in the open the sales now are. As you said folks are walking on the beach and on the sidewalk with big "bushels" of ganja. We also noticed that instead of discreetly asking you if you want "smoke" its now announced like a parasailing trip. I didn't bother us of course, we laughed and took some pics for home but I am sure some folks will be turned off by this and complain they were "bothered".