The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... (/showthread.php?tid=101291)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - Tim - 02-17-2016

We made it to the Red Dragon twice this trip. I really like it there, the jerk pork is as good as it gets, I choked down a pound with a little help from my wife both times. One day we had a great chat with a fellow named Patrick who had sold everything and moved to Negril many years ago from the U.S. Lives in a small house not far from the bar. Really nice guy.
Both times we went started with a walk from our hotel on the beach, Rooms. It's an easy walk and I enjoy getting up into Red Ground. One day there were some people setting up for a bake sale, we were their first customers of the day, had some delicious baking.
Gotta love the ice cold beer at Red Dragon, almost too cold to drink LOL.
We take the long route home, walking back toward the cliff road, very nice and relaxing way to go back. One day we detoured back to check out Canoe Bar, for our only stop this tour. I was standing at the bar looking around at the various items on display when I thought to myself, "I brought them a hockey puck the last time I was here". It was a puck with the logo of our local major junior hockey team, the Prince Albert Raiders. Sure enough, there it was, hanging from the ceiling near one of the doors that opens to the deck outside. We ended up sitting out on the beach before squaring up and making our way back to the hotel.
Rooms is a decent hotel, we paid for a ocean view room which is not really worth it , probably wouldn't stay there again, if we did would just get a regular room. The beach is really nice there, you can make the decision to be close to the sea
or hang back behind the cement barrier if you want privacy.
I was looking forward to having Rob and Maureens bar next door to us. The beer was cheap but the vibe there is nothing like the old For Real bar. There were usually a few low lifes hanging around not exactly making it a place I would want to spend a lot of time at. Too bad.
The new Woodstock bar is close by. It's a pretty cool place with a bar built for giants. We stopped in a few times but the last time we were basically ignored by the 2 waitresses. No big deal, lots of options for places to spend money. Won't go back.
Sometimes I think some of the bars and restaurants should be hiring these beach hustlers as they seem to have a lot more ambition than some of the paid workers.

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - Tim - 02-17-2016

Before we left for Negril I made the decision to take my wife on the ultimate in the "tourist" activity. I signed us up for the one love bus crawl.
Well laugh it up but it turned out to be a fantastic way to spend a few hours.
We were one of the first couples to be picked up (from Seastar) and from there made our way out to the stretch of A/I's, where we made most of the pick ups. Things started out pretty subdued until Lenbert picked up a young Jamaican lady. Turns out she is a somewhat known singer, Princess Tia. She was a friend of Lenbert and sat up at the front of the bus facing the now full bus. What happened next was amazing - Tia proceeded to belt out several songs A cappella, from Bob Marley to some heavy reggae/rap fusion that had the crowd cheering hard. I think she sang 4 or 5 songs before she got off the bus up in Red Ground. I have to say I have seen quite a few performances in Negril, from Gregory Issacs to Tarrus Riley and her singing was as good as it gets. I won't be surprised to see her make it one day.
It was kind of amusing watching the different people once we got off the bus at the various bars. Wasn't hard to see which ones tend to stick to the resorts. Our first stop was a place in Red Ground, can't remember the name. Naturally the beers were only 400J LOL, wanna bet the price went down seconds after the bus left. There was a local on the scene displaying buds of ganja, much to the delight of some of the participants. I passed up the opportunity to buy a joint for $5.
It seemed each progressive stop the beer got cheaper. We went to a few places I had never been, the Sunset bar was a great spot.
As the day went on and the booze took effect, people really loosened up and I was sorry when to tour ended. I would recommend it to anyone and would do it again. I have since found out Princess Tia performed on the Jamaican version of American Idol.
More to come but once again, bed time.

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - rootswoman - 02-17-2016

I am loving this.

I don't know what they do down there, but I know exactly where you are coming from.  The last time I was in Negril , several years ago, I was greedy with a cake I was offered when it came around the second time.  It was a huge cake. Mind you, I consumed plenty of edibles from the dispensaries in LA and I never felt much - just tired , so i thought i was a pro.

Fast forward half hour or so later - I too felt like I had taken mushrooms - and way too many.  I don't know if it was the cake or if it was the fish I had for diner or a perfect storm of both, but I was so sick, I was on the ground puking.  It was incredibly embarrassing.  I looked like "the drunk woman" and i was obsessing about how bad it looked but couldn't move.  Meanwhile I felt like I was on a bad trip - it was terrible.  I couldn't walk and all poor Dread wanted to do was get me back to the hotel from the west end and I wouldn't move - it was the worst thing . It took a long time before I was able to get out to the road and get a cab. 

Live and learn.  Perhaps there were mushrooms in there. I don't know but I do know - never again!

The tour sounded like great fun. 

Am I correct folks? - i believe Princess Tia has been singing in Negril since she was a very young girl.   How fortunate you were to have her entertain you.  The pub crawl actually sounded like fun.  Why not?

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - oldtimer - 02-18-2016

A friend of mine and his wife went on the " bus run " . They are long time vets of Negril and swore that they would never do that BUT !!! they did and had a ball. Like Tim said they loosened up real good near the end . Yes beer doubles when the bus pulls in . That is how the driver is paid .

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - kylake - 02-18-2016

Thanks Tim for the reporting and look forward to more.
We went on one of the first bus crawls Lenbert had, he used to only run one day a week on Wed. He now runs almost every day of the week. We have had several crawls with Lenbert since. The crowds vary and depending on the crowd it can be fun or not so much.
Like Tim said by the end of the crawl people have loosened up. It usually ends at Love Nest I think it might also be known as Sir D's (?) for sunset and then goes back to drop people off.

Sometimes on the ride back we just have Lenbert drop us off to eat somewhere. He has, on more than one occasion, come back to pick us up and take us back home. We have had after the crawl some long and serious conversations about the area I will not expand on. Great guy in my opinion, as I have stated in the past.

So try it sometime you might just like it.

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - Flintstone - 02-19-2016

Great report Tim. We just returned from Negril as well, I had some cookies also this trip. They came from a lady near LTU or Ricks 1@250J or 13 (bakers dozen) for 2500 J. I developed gout from too many Red Stripes and was sort of limping along for a few days when a freind pulled out these cookies. We each took one but my buddy only ate half of his, want this? he says, sure I say. We were sitting at woodstock and within an hour I was cured of my gout and ready to party LOL. It Really picked me up and carried me thru my day pain free. Good Times... I hear you on the hustlers should be bar staff comment, I find that many service people need to step up their game or find a job more appropriate to their skill set.

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - rastagirl777 - 02-19-2016

"within an hour I was cured of my gout and ready to party LOL. It Really picked me up and carried me thru my day pain free. "
And that my friend is the BEST testament to MMJ that I've read here yet!!!!!!

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - jitterbug - 02-19-2016

flintstone, that is too funny . . . i want some cookies for my upcoming reach . . .

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - ohliz - 02-22-2016

I've known Tia since she was a little girl! She has come a long way but she always could sing...and drum...her family are the Overtakers.

RE: Negril- ramblings, thoughts, observations... - Tim - 02-22-2016

That's awesome ohliz. I feel very fortunate we were able to have the up close and personal performance. Very talented.