The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Thirty years ago tomorrow - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Thirty years ago tomorrow (/showthread.php?tid=101286)

Thirty years ago tomorrow - captaind on Zion Hill - 01-27-2016

Woke up as usual at sunrise. Izel brought breakfast at 7:00 as usual

We took care of some stuff at the yard. Love I was down at Sands getting the boats ready for the day as usual..

Before lunch we head down to Sands for the start of the boat rental day

Jump in the Land Cruiser and get to Sands...as usual

As we arrive we see people crying in the street

Pull in to Sands and Eleanor say...the American space ship blew up!!!!!!!!

Where were you?

Cap

RE: Thirty years ago tomorrow - Firemon - 01-28-2016

What I remember is you could see the Challenger's twisting white corkscrew smoke trail from our office windows in Tampa, Fla. (which is on the complete opposite coast from the launch).  

RE: Thirty years ago tomorrow - Oldtimer2 - 01-28-2016

We were fishing off The Grand Banks of Newfoundland . One of my twins was with me and she heard it on the VHS .

RE: Thirty years ago tomorrow - rootswoman - 01-28-2016

I was living in Greece, on an island with my one and a half year old baby girl and her Greek father.  I remember well when it happened and watching the coverage on CNN.  We didn't have TV but we watched the tragedy on an old TV in a local coffee bar. It seemed very far away at the time.

Ironically - some years later, back in the USA, my next door neighbor and good friend was the first cousin of Christa McAuliffe.  Over the years we were invited to numerous holidays and events at their home.  I met all of Christa's family - they were/are very good people.

Each year  the family (my friends) would receive an apple from the space program to commensurate her death - they were different each year.  They had bronze, silver, copper, crystal, various semi precious stones, cloisonne, blown glass, pottery - you name it.    They must have 29 apples by now.

RE: Thirty years ago tomorrow - jitterbug - 01-30-2016

why apples? 

RE: Thirty years ago tomorrow - captaind on Zion Hill - 01-31-2016

(01-30-2016, 03:41 PM)jitterbug Wrote:  why apples? 

An apple for the teacher Sally Ride

Cap

RE: Thirty years ago tomorrow - rootswoman - 01-31-2016

I found an article that explains the apple - it is an interesting story.  

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/McAuliffes-Apple-A-Memento-of-Fate-From-the-Space-Shuttle-Challenger-366932131.html

McAuliffe's Apple: A Memento of Fate From the Space Shuttle Challenger

RE: Thirty years ago tomorrow - Sharleen - 01-31-2016

One of my daughters was home "sick" from school so we had the TV on.. oh my God... it was horrible to see what went on.  So I guess the cold weather and the "O RINGS" weren't supposed to run when it was so cold.  I think I remember President Reagan saying it "should go".  Lots of press, tourists there to watch, etc.  What a shocker seeing what happened.  Whoa... 30 years ago, kind of scary to think how long ago.

RE: Thirty years ago tomorrow - CardBoardBox - 02-01-2016

January 28, 1986 was a Tuesday and I think we found a TV at the office on Long Island

I remember reading about one or more people at the pre-launch discussion voicing objections to the launch with the overnight subfreezing temperature, but not certain if the O-rings (a seal which looks like a condom or a roundish washer) were mentioned at that time.

NPR.ORG has this:
The night before the launch, Ebeling and four other engineers at NASA contractor Morton Thiokol had tried to stop the launch. Their managers and NASA overruled them.

At some point in my life I concluded the name Challenger was too problematic to naming another one the same.

Tangent; I can not find the "other Challengers" of the preceeding paragraph but I did find an interesting article that people's memories change over time.
Search for "the Challenger Study" which contains "... rather than suddenly realizing that they had misremembered, they often persisted in believing their current memory.”

RE: Thirty years ago tomorrow - bigga - 02-06-2016

Believe it or not I was on a plane on my way to JA. As we were flying down the middle of Florida the pilot came over the intercom and informed us that the shuttle had just exploded.