The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Sand Removal in Negril - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sand Removal in Negril (/showthread.php?tid=101266)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Sand Removal in Negril - JonTom - 01-19-2016

I saw an article on this a few days ago. Now D. McCauly's letter.
Does anyone know what area exactly they mined the sand from? I couldn't figure it out.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/commentary/20160119/diana-mccaulay-why-moving-sand-negril-matters

RE: Sand Removal in Negril - Blues Pirate - 01-19-2016

There we're two articles in last Friday's Gleaner. It is Karisma which owns the Azul  Sensatori and is mining it on their property then shipping it to their new development on the north coast in St Anne. Supposedly they have a permit - so they say.

RE: Sand Removal in Negril - rastagirl777 - 01-20-2016

What a load of shit.  "Permit" to dredge sand in the dead of night?  Puh-lease.

There's no winning here, I give up.

RE: Sand Removal in Negril - Papa Georgie - 01-23-2016

There were a few threads about this on "the other board".   The (ahem) "moderator" of the board warned everyone not to spread "rumors and speculation".  i.e. don't say nuthin' bad about the Karisma and Azul perpetrators.

Pathetic government sellout.

RE: Sand Removal in Negril - kylake - 01-23-2016

I would expect nothing less from said moderator. Have not gone "there" in over a year now. Sometimes tempted when I read something here but just don't do it.

RE: Sand Removal in Negril - rastagirl777 - 01-24-2016

"The (ahem) "moderator" of the board warned everyone not to spread "rumors and speculation".  i.e. don't say nuthin' bad about the Karisma and Azul perpetrators."
What a surprise! (not)

I'd heard that the sand was being mined from the property Azul is developing in Negril (actually, in Hanover Parish) and being carted to their property on the North Coast.  I heard they were given a "permit" by the Minister of Mining and Environmental Protection (don't quote me on this guy's title) - no doubt after greasing dude's palm.  This activity was done over several weeks in the dead of night....and its been halted, as far as we know.  Now Azul is threatening to pull out of Jamaica all together (which won't happen because they have billions invested here.)

I don't know how NEPA let this go for as long as its gone and how anyone can reconcile this while still considering putting in that Breakwater to "save the beach".  Its baffling beyond comprehension.

RE: Sand Removal in Negril - Passion4Diving - 01-24-2016

Karisma’s explanation for their activity was for the removal of sand and soil from foundation excavations for this new resort next to the existing Azul.  On a certain level, this makes some sense as any foundation construction needs to deal with what is removed.  Karisma claims that no beach sand was removed.

This Gleaner webpage contains a link to the actual license: http://web5.jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20160114/see-document-quarry-licence-granted-major-hotel-development-negril 

This assumes I believe what Karisma is saying, which I have suspicion.

Also look at the “agencies, government bodies, ministries, concerned citizen groups” that are involved:

Mines and Geology Division within the Commission of Mines a division of the Ministry of Science, Technology, Energy and Mining
Ministry of Water, Land, Environment and Climate Change which sent a stop order to the Jamaican Constabulary Force.
National Environment and Planning Agency, an Executive Agency under the Executive Agencies Act
Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce with its JAMPRO agency
Local Government Ministry
Jamaica Constabulary Force
Negril Chamber of Commerce
Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, Negril Chapter
Jamaican Environment Trust, a non-profit, non-governmental membership organization
and
Where is the Hanover Parish Council’s voice as this removal venue is in that Parish?
With all these “interested” folks involved is there any chance for coordination between them?  Bungled management is certainly guarantied including a mountain of red tape.
Is there any chance to do business in Jamaica without getting into some form of dispute?

RE: Sand Removal in Negril - rastagirl777 - 01-24-2016

"Karisma claims that no beach sand was removed."

Yup...and I have a bridge you can buy - cheap.

RE: Sand Removal in Negril - Firemon - 01-25-2016

If you ask the censor on the other board about the weather he'll maintain it never rains in Negril.
You have a better chance of being told the truth talking to a used car salesman.

4_14_6

RE: Sand Removal in Negril - Passion4Diving - 01-26-2016

Looks like the parties have resolved the issue and the ban is withdrawn:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20160125/govt-lifts-order-barring-sand-removal-negril-property