The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
To Vend or Not To Vend? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: To Vend or Not To Vend? (/showthread.php?tid=101255)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: To Vend or Not To Vend? - rastagirl777 - 01-15-2016

Thank you for the long ramble!!!!  Perfectly said.

RE: To Vend or Not To Vend? - oldtimer - 01-15-2016

If they "round-up " all these vendors then it will be like the craft market pulling people to there products . When you stop at the orange guy and Best in the West etc . there never is a problem of pushing and pulling .. . Safety..that's kind of far fetched . Maybe away from the vendor's it's unsafe but not when your there supporting their product .I know that from Treehouse it is $10us to go and pick-up chicken at Best in the West and is $10/2 people return from The Corner Bar . Are they talking about the bus stop cook houses as well ? Speed traps / bumps are what really are needed .

RE: To Vend or Not To Vend? - Tim - 01-15-2016

The simplest way I can say it - this will be nothing more than a "inconvenience" for the people that support these vendors. But for the vendors themselves, it was the way they made a living. Now what?

Exactly!  The bus park is "private property" - so they should not be troubled BUT...hub is taking a bike ride downtown to see really wha gwaan there (hoping the Orange guy has found his way to private property lol.)

From the perspective of a few local friends - they actually see the reasoning behind this.  According to them, there actually IS a criminal element lurking amongst the mostly (I think) honest vendors.  If they are not out and out criminals, they act as look-outs or hold weapons - for money.  Even still it is my opinion that this is not the way to go about it.

I'm actually a little surprised that there were no tires burning in the streets on Wednesday.  Based on what I'm reading on Facebook the tourists are ready to take to the streets, lol!

Next stop for this action - Grange Hill.  Now...this should be interesting.

RE: To Vend or Not To Vend? - murph - 01-15-2016

Not that I know anything... but seems like a lot of layers to the situation here... 

Compliance
If I was the sheriff of any town and wanted to restore order- compliance would be first on my list. People would need to start respecting the law and know the consequences of not respecting the law. Its not just hitting the murderers directly- the overall concept of law and order must be restored. Again- respect the law and understand the consequences.  
(That being said I break the law all the time- everyday really- but I respect it and I understand there are consequences...) 

Sanitization
Now, I cant just open up a chicken shack on the sidewalk in my town. You need a 3 bay sink with hot water, soap, refrigeration, etc.- it all needs to be inspected and licensed (yes- there is a fee for this). And you can call that "trying to make money" or call it "protecting the public from getting sick". Where do you think your chicken guy goes to the bathroom? Do you think he washes his hands after going in the bushes?... 

Crime
I find it hard to believe the chicken guy or the guy selling oranges are criminals. Does it give criminals an excuse to be out late at night hanging out roadside... perhaps. But Im having a hard time seeing the direct relationship between crime and the chicken barrel guy. 

To Get the Real Criminals
I would ease up on the road blocks, "lay low" and slowly INFILTRATE. Go undercover on these guys and infiltrate their organizations...then take em out like hornet spray to a hornet's nest! Unearth the bad cops and hold all criminals accountable. 

Lastly
Close the damn bar in the police station. This is a complete joke and undermines their professionalism. 

~But again, what the heck do I know?... I do know I love Jamaica and hope that this guy is honest and isn't in it for the payout.
   5_2_2

RE: To Vend or Not To Vend? - Westenders - 01-15-2016

Oh heck murph why did you have to go there with the chicken guy and the bathroom. I already have 'issues' about that....I try to avoid shaking hands and touching fists for this same reason. Everywhere is a bathroom yuk..

I think in terms of the undercover investigation, it's quite obvious who the criminals are....everyone knows what's what really. I could point out enough myself. And again some of the police are the problem, not the answer to the problem. The young man killed by a police vehicle outside the station last year resulting in the riots. Ask any local what really happen with that incident.
The station bar is very much key to that incident. It's definitely disgusting to have it in there.

That's why I'm hoping that this police chief cleans up internally too. Here's to hoping he is one of the good ones..!

Reducing the murders....in my humble opinion most of the murders I know of, which have been a few, including one I witnessed .....have all been linked to the lottery scam.
The west end ones last year, not so though.

OT, I've heard all about those times in the west end from the in laws who were very much part of all that back in the days. They all controlled things, then became slick business men in their own right....and have had a very firm grip on a lot of stuff in the west end for years. But some very strong key figures have passed away in the last couple years, and the west end is changing. The same respect for each other and the founding fathers are disappearing..

I also think Negril has been built on the back of crime....and a lot of influential business people there now started out this way. Role models for the younger ones unfortunately. When your belly is hungry and you see people who have got on in life, who started out like you...took the left turn and succeeded....it's pretty powerful. This is a cycle to break.

So the vendors are the start....and yes rasta girl I think the real test will be Grange Hill.

Murph going back to one of your points....'what do you know'...collectively we all know lots....interesting for me is that the JA community know all this and more and can't mobilise themselves in any sort of way to fight for a better life in the right way. A better life to most sadly is migration....

With all respect for a country's leader...it's time for portia to go.

Ah yes...Mama P!  She's not calling an election until "God tells her to do so".

Ah...yeah.

Murph: "But Im having a hard time seeing the direct relationship between crime and the chicken barrel guy. "
As do we all BUT...according to local friends some of these guys "help" the criminals by stashing weapons are being "look-outs" for them - tell them where the police are....that's one of the arguments at least.  I'm not saying its true, right or wrong...just was part of our discussion in the last couple of days.

Westenders is right, the most recent shootings and murders are not related to the lottery scam.  Different horrible situation Sad

Today is a good day.  No one got shot (that I've heard of yet), no one got killed in a bike accident.  And no one bought an orange from a vendor on the street.

RE: To Vend or Not To Vend? - murph - 01-15-2016

I just pray the peanut guy is not affected by any of this. I long for that sweet whistle in the distance... 

RE: To Vend or Not To Vend? - Passion4Diving - 01-15-2016

Superb post murph, applause from me.  Dealing with the newly evolving crime elements in Westmoreland is complex and the multi-faceted tactics seem to be a good start.

RE: To Vend or Not To Vend? - Tim - 01-15-2016

Not really related but I read today the govt has shut down the Boston Jerk Center in Portland. I am glad I was able to enjoy it a few times.