The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
5 day visit December 2015 - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: Trip Report Archive (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Thread: 5 day visit December 2015 (/showthread.php?tid=101241)

5 day visit December 2015 - CardBoardBox - 01-04-2016

Shouldn't be doing this now, since I have but 12 hours to uncover what to pack next and do so for a 3 week sojourne (sp?) to where you guys freezing your ass off wish to be. LOL.

Just hope nothing crashes flying out of Newark Tuesday morning.

On Dec 7 I last landed on the island for 5 days. Why so short? I only planned enough time to renew a friendship and go to the wharf for some barrels which didn't get shipped anyway.

You know, the road to heck is paved with good intentions. However, they did go by boat Dec 2nd and expecting a zoo at the whalf for xmas, the 4 barrels should be waiting for me tomorrow.

The 12/7 trip included a 20 minute plane change. They wouldn't book such a short stop unless the people and luggage could make it, right? I checked 2 days before and saw the 2nd plane left 2 minutes before the 1st leg plane landed. Oh oh.

I talked to the pilot. I tried to bribe him to fly over the Atlantic in a straight line instead of hugging the coast line to Florida. Didn't work.

However, nicely he asked "know what would help?" "Go find your seat." I did just that.

This JetBlue actually arrived earlier than scheduled, and I was advised of gate information for the JA flight while we taxied.

Add this fact: JetBlue is under no obligation to compensate delays nor do they put you on another airline. American, which I'm not using anymore, has or had a 2 hour rule.

So happily I made the next plane. My checked luggage did not.

I was alone in this fact, although a flight from NY had several people in the same boat with some of theirs. (Always carry clean underware and toothbrush in your carry-on. For Jamaica, make that shorts and a T-shirt too. Oops.)

Took Juta-Negril to the Burger King like I always do. There was one gal on the bus with me. Instead of interjecting cautions of what to advoid (avoid?) while in town, this gal didn't need any. Anyone remember the name LeAnn? Wow. A blast from the past, even though I couldn't remember particulars of board activity with her, nor she of me, only that we remember the others board name. Smile

We talked about the old boards, the satisfactions and dissatisfactions and their usefulness and direction over time, etc. We shared that the boardies made the boards very popluar, until ....

Day 1. Unpacked my carry-on and knapsack at my fiends place where I was staying on the West End. It was "lighter" for the container of Ajax cleanser was grabbed by TSA in Newark. "Chemicals" said her supervisor. Both were young and didn't care I took some last trip. Oh well. Can't argue with power hungry, wet behind the ear Federal employees.

Day 2. Called the JetBlue lost luggage 27 hours after my arrival to see if my bag made the next days plane. It did. No, don't send it, I'll come get it. I had a new angle grinder I didn't want falling out of the bag during transit. Understand?

Instead of taking the public bus as I always do on my returns, my friend drove me and his wife to glorious MoBay.

While waiting in the little room near the arrivals doors, there were a couple other people there too. Finally what was more than half an hour later, my bag was opened on the other side of the glass in front of me I regretted I left the grinder in the box. $25 exemption was listed on my yellow (?) form. And to think, I was hoping to use the green line the day before.

When I left the little room, the gal who was ahead of me was sitting outside and I chatted her up wit h "you still here?" It was 20 minutes after she got hers but was waiting for her ride. I forget who asked whom, but she knew my name and then said she was Likkle Red. Holy crap it is a small world.

We only chatted a few minutes as had my friends coming back for me and I wanted to be at the departure area.

We ate Chinese in MoBay.

During the next days I basically hung around except for my trips to L&M market and the green building Quality Traders market for things we needed or I wanted. These waling trips allow me to see the acquantances who typically ask what I brought. I told them I brought nothing because I knew my barrels were entransit.

The weather was less hot and less humid than in June, but we did have brief showers like I remember from my earliest trips to the island in Novembers. Perfect time for a nap or hang out in a bar.

On Saturday, thinking I had a noon flight instead of the near 4PM one, I left my friends house around 8 AM. The fare I forget exactly but was about $250 to Lucy, 200 to MoBay and $100 taxi to the airport. I always slip in a US $1 with the 100 dollar bill. Gas might be cheaper now but everything else has gone up.

So I had more time to kill at the ball field outside the airport. Smile

No checked luggage this direction. Seldom is this untrue. Wouldn't take the public bus if I had checked luggage. I'm thinking of starting a business for repeat visitors of storing a suitcase. Why bother to bring shorts, t-shirts and personal care item each time. And the can of bug spray would be waiting too. Shelishly, this allows more luggage space for gifts on the next trip.

It's nice to have a friend store a knapsack of clothing, etc., but as you know, true friends are hard to find.

I saw people I wanted to see, but not many of the regulars, including those who ask "What did you bring me?", alternatively they leave out the word "me." I mentioed that I saw Sonny once, but as in the SIZE 14 SHOE post, that can't happen again. Sad

I had a few more details in this trip-report text but it went "poof" (erased) and I don't want to, or can't afford the time to retype it. I hate computers sometimes.

When I returned, I went to the TSA blog where they list all the guns and prohibited items from the previous week found on passengers to complain about the AJax cleanser. The blog overlord replied that he could not find where cleanser was permitted. Sometimes I have a knack. My unpublished response was how to see cleanser IS a permitted item. (try the search box!) but I can understand that a powder unleased on the airplane would be a breathing issue so I'm not going to try to prove a point tomorrow.

Besides, I hate that "the TSA agent has the final authority on what is permitted" cavet on the TSA pages. Breast milk and childrens toys have made the news in the past but I don't think my Ajax has any hope

This trip report is cross posted on another board. I add in here that my mention of SIZE 14 SHOES subject line was a quiet way (posted elsewhere) to mention that on Dec 23, after leaving his house on Villa La Cage Lane, a person or persons who may have been hiding in the bushes murdered this man. It did not make the newspaper nor could I find anything on the message boards. He still had the money intended to buy CashPot and some chicken feed, and his cell phone. I haven't spoken to his wife but another relative said the reasons may never be known.

RE: 5 day visit December 2015 - Firemon - 01-04-2016

I've taken route taxi's from the airport to Negril and back as well when finances dictated only admittedly I've done so with a suitcase in my lap while traveling solo.   Roughly $5 as you set out.  Gotta be mindful in Lucy or a gopher will steer you (da tourist) to a charter instead of a route taxi for the second leg of your trip at the bus depot switch-over.  Definitely prefer Juta.

Captain, this man attempted to bring AJAX on board.

What, the same man who had a grinder?

That's correct sir.

Egads, sounds like a terrorist.  Better put him on the no-fly list and jettison all peanuts. They could explode in mid-air.

Aye-Aye sir.

(End scene.)

RE: 5 day visit December 2015 - rastagirl777 - 01-04-2016

Hahahahaha!  Why on earth are you carrying Ajax on a plane?  Terrorist dem!

My first trip to Jamaica in 1983 we took public transportation from MoBay to Negril - it remains my favorite "ride" from MoBay ever - goats and chickens and stops everywhere on the "old road".

RE: 5 day visit December 2015 - CardBoardBox - 01-04-2016

Firemon, a literal LOL at your humor. Thanks.

Rastagirl777, half the reason for the cleanser was complaints that the recent manufactured stuff doesn't work as well as the old (formula) by my friend in Jamaica, and I already had the stuff here, so I put one in a suitecase. The results were reported as "fine."

Another half reason was that this was an old cardboard container (even though my Mom says chemicals lose their effectiveness with age. Drugs, clothes washing powder, etc.) and might indeed be better than new.

Another half reason was that I got approx eight sealed containers at an auction for a buck. Even if the above paragraph was true (is true), I figured for that price for my use, it would be a worthwhile purchase.

You'd be surprised what auctions can yield. Got 15 bars of Lava and about 48 of laundry soap (retail 1.59), all sealed and look recently made, for $3 recently. Some are already down there. Share the bounty.

RE: 5 day visit December 2015 - rastagirl777 - 01-05-2016

I was really only joking...everyone brings their "special something" with them, especially when staying long term.  I've brought down ridiculous stuff myself!  My godson has incrementally brought down power tools including a jack hammer and not once has he been "caught" by customs.  Depends on the sitch - had your luggage not been delayed good chance you could have sailed through with your angle thingy.

This: "I'm thinking of starting a business for repeat visitors of storing a suitcase. Why bother to bring shorts, t-shirts and personal care item each time. "
Here's a simple reason why I personally do not store anything made of fabric anymore - mildew!  Even in vacuum sealed bags it seeps in.  Now, airing it out or as they say "sunning" it does help but I got tired of doing that.  Anything fabric - clothing, bedding etc - comes home with me now.  I do leave several containers with household stuff like kitchen things etc. - never a problem there...and the only time I'll leave  toiletries (shampoo, sunscreen even bug repellant) is if they have never been opened.  Not sure if you've ever smelled opened sunscreen left packed away for 9 months but I'm here to tell you its gross.

RE: 5 day visit December 2015 - kylake - 01-08-2016

Thanks for the interesting trip report CBB!