The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Construction Royalton Negril halted - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Construction Royalton Negril halted (/showthread.php?tid=101179)

Construction Royalton Negril halted - JonTom - 11-02-2015

I never read any resolution to the Negril business communities' protestations of this (possibly 4 story?) hotel. Did they just "full speed ahead" as I originally suspected would happen?

Article states
"The Gleaner has learnt that the construction work to redevelop the property by Blue Diamond Hotel Groups began more than two weeks ago,..."

I was under the impression construction started more like 3 or even 4 MONTHS ago...

NEPA Shuts Down Royalton Negril

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20151102/nepa-shuts-down-royalton-negril

RE: Construction Royalton Negril halted - kylake - 11-05-2015

With all that money on the table it will be interesting to see how long it takes for money to get into the right persons pocket to reverse this action:-)

RE: Construction Royalton Negril halted - rastagirl777 - 11-07-2015

I hope you are wrong about that.  The Negril community successfully beat down the Breakwater Project...the same activists have been working behind the scenes about this project as well.

I'm certain the hotel will continue to be built but I'm hoping with MAJOR modifications to their plans - modifications that will include protecting the bay by NOT building those stupid huts and modifying the building plan to actually COMPLY with current regulations regarding for example height.  I do not think anyone wants to see Negril turn into Cancun and if this thing is allowed to proceed as designed it will do just that in due time.  Slippery slope.

RE: Construction Royalton Negril halted - Passion4Diving - 11-07-2015

Read a report from a guest at Hedo that cement haulers are moving into the Royalton site on both Nov 3rd and 4th.

RE: Construction Royalton Negril halted - Westenders - 11-10-2015

construction is starting, passed it quite a few times.
the workmen have been working on the building of their storage site across the road.
food people have set up camp to sell dinners to the workmen.
local view of a few I've talked to is that it is a good thing, jobs etc,,,
and the bloody bay wont be affected !

RE: Construction Royalton Negril halted - kylake - 11-12-2015

Well that didn't stop them very long. I am no fan of that project but I do understand it will create jobs. I wonder if many local residents will be hired or most workers come in from other locations and even outside of Jamaica. I have seen in other Caribbean islands outside workers coming in for most of the jobs.
The rumor had it last year they had also bought some of the PV land where goats would roam that was adjacent to the property. I personally saw them cutting down trees on that property last visit and doing what appeared to be core drilling on the main property.

RE: Construction Royalton Negril halted - JonTom - 11-13-2015

(11-12-2015, 02:52 PM)kylake Wrote:  ... last year they had also bought some of the PV land where goats would roam that was adjacent to the property. I personally saw them cutting down trees on that property last visit and doing what appeared to be core drilling on the main property.

I thought that area of Rutland Point was the remains of some historical fort. I guess goats can roam anywhere, but I'm guessing you mean that area between Point Village and (former) Grand Lido.

RE: Construction Royalton Negril halted - kylake - 11-13-2015

JonTom you and many more users here know way more about the Jamaica and the Negril are than me. I am pretty much a newbie compared to many here.
Yes, that is the Rutland Point area I was referring to and fenced. If part of some historical property that is new to me. Do you have any informational links about that area? I would like to read up if you have some.

RE: Construction Royalton Negril halted - JonTom - 01-19-2016

(11-13-2015, 07:32 PM)kylake Wrote:  ... If part of some historical property that is new to me. Do you have any informational links about that area? I would like to read up if you have some.

I just now noticed this. sorry.
I think it was in a travel book and can't find anything online. I have seen remains of the Fort wall, though.
There was an online link from the Woods Hole Oceanic Institute (or an org related to it) that had the Jamaican conservationist, pretty famous guy, from MIT, IIRC, (Tom something?) that described the geology in that area and why he theorized most of it had been created/effected by the asteroid that hit the Cancun area (and led to demise of Dinosaurs). Pretty heady stuff. I'll see if I can find it.

RE: Construction Royalton Negril halted - kylake - 01-23-2016

If you find it JonTom please do post as I would like to read the article.