The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Jamaica road trip - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Jamaica road trip (/showthread.php?tid=101170)

Jamaica road trip - Dana1 - 10-24-2015

thinking about renting a car and driving around the outside of the island.  No idea how to start planning this or even if it is safe to do? Can you rent rooms for just a night or 2? Would a week be long enough to travel from Mobay around the east and south coasts and back up to Negril?

RE: Jamaica road trip - oldtimer - 10-24-2015

There are 1,000's of places to stay , no worry about that . You can look at travelling around as 1 . An adventure 2. as a challenge . Crossing across the island is FANTASTIC . It is even called The Alps . you are better off travelling counter clockwise , no sun in your eyes in the morning . Jitters will probably answer you with current road conditions . Speed is a big concern .

RE: Jamaica road trip - jitterbug - 10-24-2015

Get the car at the airport and go left! Easy drive to get used to! Excellent roads all the way into port antonio.

Better not to plan too much, one tends to get sidetracked in jamaica! I would break around duncans and spend your first night relaxing and start fresh in the morning. Daylight is early, you could be on the road by 8.  I would leave kingston for next time!

Wing the rest! Nothing wrong with just a scenic tour!  

Let us know how it goes!

Jamaica road trip - dana.lenfeldogglesby - 10-24-2015

Thanks Jitterbug...any idea how much it costs to rent a car at the airport? And is a Canadian drivers license sufficient? About how far is Duncan's Bay from Mobay?

RE: Jamaica road trip - oldtimer - 10-24-2015

Not that far really . If you cross The Alps then Duncan's is where you start .

RE: Jamaica road trip - CardBoardBox - 10-25-2015

I think the down side to such a trip is finding a really good restaurant elsewhere on the island and then never getting back to it.

There is (was?) a vendor of peanut soup on the road from Sav to Mobay which was popular. Maybe cause of on-street parking for passing traffic.

Sometimes a locals suggestion is great, or sorryful, just an incentive for him, but sometimes you find one on your own;

One of my favorite memories was a 6 stool eatery in mid west America. Another one was a cook-shop run by "Crab" right by the round-a-bout in Negril, before they ran everyone off.

But I'm supposed to be postive and answer the posed question. Yes, with some planning, and some winging it, such a road trip at your own speed can bring joys and views unique to your visit.

RE: Jamaica road trip - jitterbug - 10-31-2015

(10-24-2015, 02:46 PM)dana.lenfeldogglesby Wrote:  Thanks Jitterbug...any idea how much it costs to rent a car at the airport?  And is a Canadian drivers license sufficient?  About how far is Duncan's Bay from Mobay?

hi dana
juste returned on wednesday . . . 
50 u.s. per day incl. insurance, 38 if you just use your wold master card or a gold card. my 4 day rental was 228 incld. taxes. well worth the freedom the car offers.
yes, canadian  is good. i use mine. 
duncan's is about 1/2 to 40 min. depends how you drive. great highway.

let us know what you did!!

RE: Jamaica road trip - rastagirl777 - 11-02-2015

I never had trouble finding good food to eat when we did our road trips - as a matter of fact, good food always found us, lol.  Now, if you are looking for white linen service on the road without knowing about it first...maybe a little harder.

Dana doing our road trips were spectacular.  We've done them in some fashion for the past 3 years - the biggest one was 400 miles around the island (Negril to Portland to Blue Mountains to Treasure Beach).  Can't help about the car, we rode motorcycles!

RE: Jamaica road trip - daniel - 11-02-2015

I miss Jamaica