The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Gleaner article on potential crime increase in Negril - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gleaner article on potential crime increase in Negril (/showthread.php?tid=101157)

Pages: 1 2

Gleaner article on potential crime increase in Negril - Blues Pirate - 10-16-2015

Interesting read.
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20151016/negril-stakeholders-wary-spillover-violence

RE: Gleaner article on potential crime increase in Negril - Firemon - 10-17-2015

Bring along one of those doorstop type door alarms.

Leave the flashy jewelry at home.

You can get cash at the ATM in downtown Negril so don't bring a loaded wallet.

Don't let everyone know where you're headed (ie--day trip to YS Falls) every time you leave your room.  Keep it low key or just plain mis-inform inquirers. 

When you walk along Norman Manley Speedway walk facing traffic. 

Don't drink too much.  Eyes will be pon you.  

If you go to a concert or show keep in mind that's when pick-pocketers brush up against people and go to work (in teams).
The same is true on a busy night downstairs at the Jungle. 

If you're walking the beach late at night pick up a discarded Red Stripe bottle and carry it with you.  (No explanation required.)

Don't deal with the money changers hanging around outside the cambios.  They are quick change artists.  Go inside the cambio, get in line, and wait your turn.  At least you won't get swindled, get into an argument, etc. 

And in general don't be so eager to tell inquirers when you arrived, when you're leaving, and where you're staying.  Simply "down the beach" or "West End" is a good answer.  Don't answer/change the subject/out-right lie, etc.  Thieves know tourists run low on cash near the end of their stay for example hence pale skin tourists aka milk bottles make for the juiciest targets.  Only carrying foreign currency is another indicator of a new arrival so get some Ja's (but not at the MoBay airport where the exchange rate is diabolical).

Be wary of your itinerant new-found Jamaican "friend."

Tip your night-watchman.  And in general get to know the staff where you are staying.  Be nice to them and they'll look out for you. 

P.S.  You're taking a gamble if you let a hooker(s) into your room--at least that's what I've heard.  Smile

RE: Gleaner article on potential crime increase in Negril - Oldtimer2 - 10-17-2015

Follow these rules and you won't go wrong !!! If only that could be pasted on Bobby's board !!! All !!!!! eyes watch the "new guy ". My ex-wife always carried a whistle .

RE: Gleaner article on potential crime increase in Negril - kylake - 10-17-2015

Thanks BP for posting

RE: Gleaner article on potential crime increase in Negril - rastagirl777 - 10-17-2015

On one hand....snore.  This has been discussed ad nauseum for the past year.  Yes...we all know of the many gun murders AROUND Negril in the past year, a few within the Negril village "limits".  Last year the hot bed of criminal activity was outside of Little London and Grange Hill.  This year apparently its Hannover Parish.

All these crimes are by and for Jamaicans (so far).  Its not the wild 1980's when people were taking pot shots at selected expats.

I know I sound Jaded.  I know already what I'll be doing to further secure MY situation in Negril.  I'm sad that these adjustments instead of being every 5-10 years now happen yearly.

This is what shocked me - that the Constabulary actually thinks that 4 officers (2 undercover) is enough to keep watch over the ENTIRE BEACH.  That is such a "why bother" situation and makes me angry.  And what are they planning for the West End?  Two?  One? More like NONE.  Even now police are hesitant to respond to calls Deep West End (has been the case as long as I've been going there).

Tired of the hand jobs by the police and the "for show" army "raids" on "squatter areas".  I have many, many friends who are "stakeholders" in Negril - many more that just live there all year and that visit every year be it for 2 weeks or 2 months.

Rant over.

RE: Gleaner article on potential crime increase in Negril - CardBoardBox - 10-18-2015

PB did good to provide the URL of the newspaper, although many stories are more hype than meat-n-potatoes of change. Touting about the 4 police (4 is more than zero), my educated guess is that the locals know who the undercover one are. 6 miles is a long stretch to walk.

Since it seems like I am dissing Negril, has anyone experienced a positive event of the uniformed tourist police? Unarmed, walking in pairs. Are they a good expense?

Is jamaericans.net getting newbies? It was sound advice about the low exchange rate at the airport, and the don't use on-the-street money changers, but do people know how they stay in business? 2nd hand info is a straight miscount, compounded by folding some bills in the wad so the total $ SEEMS CORRECT, but of course isn't. I have heard there is counterfit money (I truely know NOT anything about that) but anything larger than a 100 I look at closely.

When I have seen those money changers getting J from their US at the China food store at the round-a-bout (which I believe is illegal), I wonder if their favorable rate from the owners is enough to earn a living in their illegal "change money?" whisper business at the Value Master parking lot.

Pick Pockets; Gee, I thought all tourists were required to use "fanny packs." LOL. I do. I only equate PP with taking a wallet and I never carry a wallet down there. BTW, fanny is US slang for rear end. UK slang is for the other side. Oops. Vulgar even. I should find a nicer word, especially since I keep the bag on my belly, although sometimes it is under my shirt.

As for people working in pairs, where youtube videos show the thief passes the item to the 2nd person, I've seen pairs working the beach. But my rememberance was one would try to sell ganja to the guy and the 2nd one would try to sell himself to the wife.
If you keep you wits about you, it can be interesting to watch the locals work the crowd at a beach concert.

Firemon mentions caution about inviting hookers into your room. While it is unwise, sometimes even a "friend" won't pass up an opportunity to enrich themselves. What he left out is the the expression "Friendship is a profession (in Negril)" and "Don't give your home phone # (to your newly met my-good-friend.)"

RE: Gleaner article on potential crime increase in Negril - JonTom - 10-19-2015

Can't really report a "positive" experience with the uniformed tourist police... I guess they may have been helping me/other tourists in a not-so-obvious way when harassing a beach hustler.

I couldn't really tell what he (the hustler) was doing that bothered them, but they made him move on pretty rapidly.

----on a slightly related note ----
often in these discussions we mention the crime/murder rate and the "crime happens everywhere" idea. Usually, statistically, one can note that crime rate per capita for JA, in particular murder/capita, is higher than most places.
Saw an article yesterday that a Chicago neighborhood (NW side??) this year has a higher murder/capita than many of the most "dangerous" countries... including Honduras and Guatemala.

RE: Gleaner article on potential crime increase in Negril - Winni - 10-19-2015

From what I have been told by a few locals is the crime increase is directly related to the Scamming issues.  Unfortunately, however, many believe that many of the police are in on it.

When you take uneducated men and send them to police school and then pay them little, there are going to be far reaching problems.  

RE: Gleaner article on potential crime increase in Negril - JamaGinger - 10-26-2015

Four policeman on the beach is not enough. I know Negril does not have unlimited resources, but this number is seriously inadequate.

RE: Gleaner article on potential crime increase in Negril - suzengrace - 10-27-2015

As far the "local" community and we're not talking tourist or ex-pat communities- there has been a definite  increase in crime- its gotten broader and bolder..esp.in my favortie parish of St Thomas..and Mobay has really seen a rise in brazen behavious of criminals.. you just dont hear about as much ..and its still the same old, same old ,as far as any justice..NONE... NO deterrents..

Theres nothing wrong with peeps giving a warning of what and not what to do..not everyone is an old hat at this-we ALL started out at sometime-so no need to put down with an elitist attitude-this is a forum for all to gain info, even if it bores some.....  

when i use to visit it was like being on the witness protection program.. No real name, where im staying, what i do, when and where i go... and then just keep your business to yourself and enjoy your time on the island..go with the flow and dont get personal... 

No "too much chat"   ...   flex and enjoy the positive vibes- walk away and try avoid the negative..