The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Four shot in Hanover; 2 foreigners injured - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Four shot in Hanover; 2 foreigners injured (/showthread.php?tid=101077)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Four shot in Hanover; 2 foreigners injured - rastagirl777 - 08-18-2015

This is what I don't get - why go at all Hedo?  Staying within resort walls you can be anywhere.

While its true that Westmoreland has become quite hairy (to say the least) I don't see where the tourist is necessarily in immediate danger.  The recent violence has been outside of Negril and that horrrible tragedy with the teenager in Negril sadly was not at all related to the lottery scams or other gang activity (not that that makes anyone feel any better).

Word from the ground is there were some police/army raids last week.  For what its worth.

I know I am not changing my vacation plans but far be it for me to tell anyone else not to.  I just don't get barricading yourself within the walls of a resort that could be anywhere in the world.  You might as well go anywhere in the world, no?

Eyes wide open, I'll be at my second home this winter and will continue to pray for the safety and peace of my neighbors.

RE: Four shot in Hanover; 2 foreigners injured - rastagirl777 - 08-18-2015

Interestingly enough...scanning through Facebook and other forums it seems that a number of folks who back in March swore off Negril for fear of their personal safety will be back this winter and spring.  That's how it go - she has a hold on folks...hysteria aside Wink

RE: Four shot in Hanover; 2 foreigners injured - Winni - 08-19-2015

I still believe these events are NOT random. That being said, I am certainly walking differently these days and being very careful where I go.

Had a conversation with my partner and told him, please do not hang with anyone you don't know... people need to be more diligent at parties and such.  

It's the damn badasses that infilitrate their way into the area and cause all the destruction.  Hate to say it but even buddy does not know if his cousin is in a gang or not.  And if he does, well he has done nothing to harm me so.... then he hangs with him and someone decides to 'take him out' counsin and buddy gets nailed as an innocent bystander.

I am of the opinion that the people, and I refer to the Westend in particular, need to begin policing their own areas. Guardian Angels ring a bell?

I know alot of cops are corrupt but I don't believe that includes all of them.  I can't even imagine the dynamics and politricks that must go on trying to be a 'good' cop.  Let's imagine the system wasn't corrupt, how on earth would the police be able to do much, when no one will come forward out of fear of retaliation?  Maybe if there was trust with the system, people would come forward? I'm not sure of that either.  All I know is something has to change.

RE: Four shot in Hanover; 2 foreigners injured - Blues Pirate - 08-19-2015

The only way that change will happen is to forcibly evict everyone living in the ghetto and burn it down. Then maybe the bad asses will pull up roots and go back to Kingston or MoBay or whatever other shitty place they came from.

RE: Four shot in Hanover; 2 foreigners injured - Westenders - 08-19-2015

It's all very sad for people who are losing loved ones, without a doubt, and worrying for those with loved ones there, can relate to everything you said winni.

My 2 penny's are that the indifference to death and dying and horrible crimes is part of the cycle of problems in JA.
So much poverty, no one cares, so much corruption by police, politics, churches, community leaders.....where the hell do you start and how do you survive all that. 

People won't come forward, how do they know who can be trusted??

Look at the man in Kingston recently who they said killed a police officer on the bus. Arrested and beaten to death in the cells by ' other prisoners'!!! What happened to due process and a fair trial.

There is at least one person that I know of that is in police custody for a crime there he just wouldn't have committed. Been there months, no sign of a trial date....no one dare speak out for him either.

Burn down the ghettos is not an answer, there are some good, regular people living there as well. 

i still try and have a perspective on what is happening there. It's not a daily or weekly occurrence, probably not random, and still the well debated point that it's not that different to places in our own countries with the same level of poverty and disadvantage.

But just posting up headlines becomes sensationalist, and these articles refer to crimes no where near each other, or reflect any heighted risk to tourists. 
Get out from the computers and the AI and meet real people. Might balance some views and perceptions out.

RE: Four shot in Hanover; 2 foreigners injured - Winni - 08-19-2015

Westie, I agree with you.  The only way to changing much of this is more education and employment I believe.  My Jamaican daughter has a degree in Nutrition from WI and she has left the island as she could not find work.  The only work she found was at Sav Hospital and like usual the pay was so bad she could barely make it to Negril for weekends...

BP burning down the ghetto?  Don't understand that comment.  Many good people live there, there is rif raf everywhere in Negril....

(08-18-2015, 08:34 PM)Therastagirl777 Wrote:  Interestingly enough...scanning through Facebook and other forums it seems that a number of folks who back in March swore off Negril for fear of their personal safety will be back this winter and spring.  That's how it go - she has a hold on folks...hysteria aside Wink
Or even more interesting, or perhaps confusing is the amount of people that are very negative all the time about Jamaica, with not one good word to say, but then still visit , some visiting as a lone traveller, which I couldn't imagine doing if that was my mindset.
( not limiting this to threads just on this board)

(08-19-2015, 01:32 PM)Winni Wrote:  Westie, I agree with you.  The only way to changing much of this is more education and employment I believe.  My Jamaican daughter has a degree in Nutrition from WI and she has left the island as she could not find work.  The only work she found was at Sav Hospital and like usual the pay was so bad she could barely make it to Negril for weekends...
Absoloutely, but the system in place just dose'nt encourage it. 
My niece was the first person in the family a few years ago to go to uni. Proud moment for everyone.
You need to leave to make a decent living which has that knock on effect.

No correlation to income levels and cost of living.....especially with school costs.

My husband has tried to talk me into taking a sabbatical and work there for a year. One of my replies is that we might not afford to fly back here, with the low wages even for skilled roles.

The conditions for working are so poor for people as well, look at all the people who get layed off without notice, as well as employers not paying them the wage owed to them

Jamaica sadly does not place value on its own people.

RE: Four shot in Hanover; 2 foreigners injured - wendy - 08-19-2015

Leaving shortly to my home away from home....17 yrs twice a year.  People MUST remember, they are NOT after you tourists...theres ALWAYS a reason, not a good reason to us but for the locals it is....sorry to say  Sad   BOOK PACK and GO !

RE: Four shot in Hanover; 2 foreigners injured - Winni - 08-20-2015

Have a great time Wendy!  When are you arriving?  I will be there early September...

W