The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
An introductory trip report.... - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: An introductory trip report.... (/showthread.php?tid=100939)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

An introductory trip report.... - Ron-Mon - 04-29-2015

This report is from last September, I am new to the board so I thought sharing my vacation would be a good way to get to know everyone.  I am 41 years old and my girlfriend and I have been to Jamaica about 6 or 7 times now.  We began by doing the big A/I (CSA) and eventually graduated to doing a boutique hotel on our last trip (Travellers).  We have found that there are things we like about both, but we will primarily be doing the non- A/I or at least smaller type A/I on future trips.

On our last trip we were originally booked for 8 nights at RIU PALACE, the adults only in MB.  We got a smoking deal as we got in early before they were really catching steam.  After reading the reports of others we decided to incorporate a non A/I into the mix and purchased a GROUPON for Travelers.  We got a decent deal on Travelers, basically near rack rate but it included an upgraded room (we didn't use) and free breakfast buffets for two.

Onward march.....  We arrived at RIU PALACE courtesy of JOE COOL TAXI, Joe's wife actually picked us up, we would later meet Joe on our change of venue to Negril.  We got to RIU about 11am and checked in very quickly and were off to our room.  The room was the nicest we have had in JA, but had zero view as it was just a standard room on the first level.  We had a patio that faced the white fence that served as the property boundary.  It was a cloudy day with on and off rain so we just sat on the dry side of the swim up bar and began indulging in some RED STRIPE.  I must confess I am a big craft beer guy in the states, but when in JA I absolutely love the RS.  Our bartender was everything you would want in a bartender, funny, engaging, made special drinks without being asked, etc.  We talked a lot about music, he was very surprised I knew of CHRONIXX and followed his music.
He shared a story of seeing CHRONIXX at Bourbon Beach.  Time would end up getting away from us as we would spend the entire day drinking poolside and watching the clouds and rain roll by.  It was an early night for sure.

The next day we were up early, we enjoyed a great breakfast at the buffet.  I must say the drinks and food at RIU PALACE were a notch above anywhere else we have tried in JA.  (COUPLES, JEWEL, etc.)  The staff was the friendliest as well.  In the morning I went to the buffet to snag a cup of coffee, which as we all know can sometime be an adventure all in itself in JA, as soon as the waiter saw me coming he asked what I needed.  He got me a whole pot and even packed some danishes onto the tray to take back to the room!  We had a great day at the Palace, but couldn't help but to look forward to heading to Negril the next morning.....

Joe Cool picked us up and off we went.  Joe did a great job of showing us some sights on the way to Travelers and we made a very worthy stop at the Rastapharmacy.  Just as we reached Negril the biggest darkest cloud I have ever seen over took us and it rained basically the rest of the day.  I mean like really rained.  We still had a good time of course, after all we were in Negril!  

I won't bore everyone with a day by day since this report is kind of dated but basically here are the highlights:

Travelers was a great place to stay.  We had a great dinner on the beach and I really enjoyed eating breakfast so close to the ocean.  This is something you miss out on at the big A/I oftentimes.  

We met another couple who talked me into renting a scooter. I did and this would be one of the best parts of the trip!  We took a great ride through the hills, dined on the cliffs, cruised the beach rode and just had a blast.  A scooter is a must from now on!

We had our best meal at Pushcart.  I can't recommend enough.  Sitting right on the cliffs and eating great food is a moment to remember for sure.

We also bought Catamaran tickets from Rasta Mark and had a great time on the Ya Mon Red Stripe cat.  It was a good deal considering it came with a great meal on the boat and of course all you can drink RS.  Another nice thing is they sent a cabbie named Perry to pick us up.  He turned out to be a great guy and even took us to get a case of RS in town.  He noticed the clerk was over-charging us and called him out on it saving us a few bucks.  I had his number but may have lost it.  If anyone knows him or has his number please send it to me.  I want to take him a gift on our next trip.

We got addicted to patties, that was basically our lunch each day.  We bought them from Nevel (sp.?) and even shared a lunch with him one day when it was raining so hard he came up on the deck of Travelers.  He scarfed down two slices of pizza in impressive fashion!

We hit Three Dives and some of the other places that are must tries and didn't have a bad meal the whole trip.  We met a cool couple at Three Dives and shared a spliff or two watching out over the ocean.

One of the friends we made at Travelers was a veteran of like 30 Negril trips.  The talks with him gave us a lot of info!  He took us to Sharky's one night on the cliffs and we played dominoes and drank RS into the wee hours.  It was a very unique experience and one we really enjoyed.

Our only regret is we didn't stay up late enough to attend any of the reggae jams on the beach.  We did hit the jam at SeaStar with a really cool family we met at Travelers.  We didn't last long though. We went out on the pool deck to hit a spliff and fell asleep on a lounger.  

We only had issue with one hustler who attempted to steal $5 from us.  We got the money back but it was a drawn out ordeal as is everything in JA sometimes!

We scheduled the One Love Pub Crawl, but ended up cancelling as we liked the freedom of our scooter.  We had done the crawl a couple times already so we felt he had our fill.  

We are basically done with  the big A/I except for the annual family trip. I am taking my three kids to HILTON ROSE HALL in July and then we are back in Negril in Sept. and Jan.  We are doing a split trip in Sept. between the Pineapple and Negril Palms.  In Jan. it is straight Pineapple for 8 nights!

One love,
Ron

RE: An introductory trip report.... - jitterbug - 04-29-2015

nice report . . . glad you discovered the non a-1 version of jamaica. more?

RE: An introductory trip report.... - Westenders - 04-29-2015

Hay rasta Ron, great report.

Hope to hear more from you 

RE: An introductory trip report.... - Tim - 04-29-2015

Thanks for sharing, keep it coming. For whatever reason it's been a little quiet here lately.
Wife and I have recently booked 2 weeks in late December 2015 so I really enjoy the reports. Our last trip to Jamaica we went to Port Antonio so its been a few years since we have been to Negril.

RE: An introductory trip report.... - Mike_D - 04-30-2015

Nice report! Looks like you and your lady are standing on the cliffs by Gas's Bike Rental. Did you get to try the new restaurant there? 

RE: An introductory trip report.... - Oldtimer2 - 04-30-2015

Sounds like you had lots of fun and adventure !!!! Good Work !!!!!

RE: An introductory trip report.... - Schuttzie - 04-30-2015

Welcome and thank you for the trip report!  

RE: An introductory trip report.... - Winni - 04-30-2015

I don't know of too many people who have left the AI's and returned to them.  Good to see you out and about!

Scooters trips are waay fun!

RE: An introductory trip report.... - captaind on Zion Hill - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 03:31 PM)Winni Wrote:  I don't know of too many people who have left the AI's and returned to them.  Good to see you out and about!

Miss G and I were comped one night and two days at Rio Trop Bay last year.

I enjoyed it. Like being on a cruise. Nice place to visit.

Cap

RE: An introductory trip report.... - Winni - 05-01-2015

Comped?  I would be estatic!!  Too me that is staying in luxery.  But I meant people who originally stay in an AI and then venture outside and see the real Ja.   Not all, but many people don't return to the AI style.  Many perfer the peace and quiet that comes with 'yardie' style.