The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
creepy! New Jersey guy head based in (Portland) - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: creepy! New Jersey guy head based in (Portland) (/showthread.php?tid=100871)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: creepy! New Jersey guy head based in (Portland) - rastagirl777 - 03-19-2015

Well, Cabo is known for being a major drug cartel corridor and has had increasing levels of violence for years now. The main tourist areas are generally considered "safe" though.

Have to LOLOLOLOL at this because the exact SAME statement can be made for Negril/Jamaica:

"Well NEGRIL is known for being a major drug cartel corridor (weed and cocaine exports especially in the 70's and 80's, not so much now) and has had inicreasing levels of violence FOR YEARS now.  The main tourist areas are GENERALLY considered "safe" though."

That last part, well...I will grant you that recently things have been supposedly more sketchy than usual as far as crimes of opportunity on the beach and up the lanes off of West End Road.

I say "supposedly" because after that horrific week of shootings and robberies people came out of the woodwork all over the internet to report on crimes that had happened to them, a friend of theirs, a friend of a friend or another that they read on Tripadvisor.  So who the hell really knows about "escalation"?  What the locals there say is that yes, its worse than usual FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR.  All this type of shyte generally happens in the summer months...

RE: creepy! New Jersey guy head based in (Portland) - rootswoman - 03-19-2015

I truly wish it were different.
I am not advocating to stay away from Jamaica just as I don't advocate to say away from Mexico.  I just want people to know the truth and share the truth - if people are in denial, how can we expect the authorities to do anything or make any changes.
I long to go back to our beloved paradise and feel safe.

When people were being run down on Norman Manley there was a lot of stink made from the tourist sector.  There were petitions and letters written.  Although, there wasn't an ideal situation installed (like speed bumps) there were some measures taken.  I have not heard of any incidents lately and it makes me think the voice of the visitors and residents was finally heard.

A lot of attention has been paid to debating the safety in Negril - it has divided and angered people.  It is understandable - who wants anyone to shit on their paradise.  Isn't it the truth versus fantasy the thing that created this board in the first place.  If we all came together (all of these boards and books) we could be a powerful force.

RE: creepy! New Jersey guy head based in (Portland) - Westenders - 03-19-2015

(03-19-2015, 11:29 AM)TAH Wrote:  Well, Cabo is known for being a major drug cartel corridor and has had increasing levels of violence for years now. The main tourist areas are generally considered "safe" though. 

Tunisia? I'm not even addressing that one... 

Miami is a metropolis, yet the murder rate there (per capita) is far below that of JA. 

But what is the tourist murder stats per capita in Miami compared to jamaica...

Not touching Tunisia? 23 tourists now dead. Ok then, so is it a selective point then about jamaica, or indeed negril compared with other countries crimes against tourists. 

I'm really not wanting to minimise crap in Jamaica, but the reality is tourist murders are not common.....in contrast to the citizen murders.

RE: creepy! New Jersey guy head based in (Portland) - macyoder - 03-19-2015

If dying on vacation, should it be Jamaica No Problem or Mexico No Solution. Should I take a chance in London or Switzerland , my next major trip .

Considering the amount of people traveling to both places and the dumb crap some do, both places are pretty safe. Mexico "feels"  safer, it's a feeling . The more we encourage people to explore
real  ' Jamaica, there might be more incidences.  These comparisons only make sense if someone was trying to decide among the two places and crime was a deal breaker. 

I head to Mexico in a week. 

RE: creepy! New Jersey guy head based in (Portland) - TAH - 03-19-2015

(03-19-2015, 02:04 PM)Westenders Wrote:  
(03-19-2015, 11:29 AM)TAH Wrote:  Well, Cabo is known for being a major drug cartel corridor and has had increasing levels of violence for years now. The main tourist areas are generally considered "safe" though. 

Tunisia? I'm not even addressing that one... 

Miami is a metropolis, yet the murder rate there (per capita) is far below that of JA. 

But what is the tourist murder stats per capita in Miami compared to jamaica...

Not touching Tunisia? 23 tourists now dead. Ok then, so is it a selective point then about jamaica, or indeed negril compared with other countries crimes against tourists. 

I'm really not wanting to minimise crap in Jamaica, but the reality is tourist murders are not common.....in contrast to the citizen murders.

No idea the per capita murder rate against tourists in Miami, and I'm not taking the time to look it up. The "not touching Tunisia" comment I thought was self explanitory. Tunisia isn't a safe and stable place to begin with, and hasn't been for quite a while. It's almost like taking some news from Syria and injecting it into this debate. 

One of these things is not like the others. 

I'm just trying to keep things in their proper perspective. I'll still go to JA, I'll actually be there in a week or so. I have no desire to bash JA, but people deserve to have an honest discussion about what's happening there. 

One other thing; I never said that tourist murder was common, nor did I imply that it was. What I'm concerned about is a tourist either getting caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, or somehow being witness to something happening. Either scenario is bad, bad, bad, and certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

RE: creepy! New Jersey guy head based in (Portland) - Westenders - 03-19-2015

I think we are all participating in an honest discussion TAH ...beauty of the board....but we all very obviously have our own opinions..smile...
All our perspectives are valid, no clear right, no clear wrong....

I've seen a murder in negril a couple years ago...had to have CBT when I got home to get it out of my head...I was scared to go back following that I don't mind telling you...and I do believe in a still small chance that you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time...but how do you deal with that other don't go .... Tough one for us all ?
I think you are possibly wrong about Tunisia being unstable though and the comparison with Syria.
British people go to Tunisia en masse, especially in the winter months...I can think of about ten people who I work with who have been there on holiday in the last few months...none of whom are reckless or stupid people.. Simply they wouldn't have gone if there was a risk of any attack on tourists.
Murdering tourists is murdering tourists in my book...no matter what the intent behind the violent act..political or otherwise.

RE: creepy! New Jersey guy head based in (Portland) - rastagirl777 - 03-19-2015

"Tunisia isn't a safe and stable place to begin with"

That's actually not true - its a pretty stable place to go in Africa and many do (my then 65 year old friend trekked Kilamanjaro!).  As Westenders pointed out lots of Europeans go there, the Seychelles, Israel, Jordan and Morocco - the flight from Paris to Tel Aviv for example is only 4 hours.

Northern Africa is on my bucket list for sure.  My Mom has been all over West/Sub-Saharan Africa with only one ugly incident in Mozambique.

Have a great time in Jamaica ... and stay safe.

RE: creepy! New Jersey guy head based in (Portland) - TAH - 03-19-2015

(03-19-2015, 04:15 PM)rastagirl777 Wrote:  "Tunisia isn't a safe and stable place to begin with"

That's actually not true - its a pretty stable place to go in Africa and many do (my then 65 year old friend trekked Kilamanjaro!).  As Westenders pointed out lots of Europeans go there, the Seychelles, Israel, Jordan and Morocco - the flight from Paris to Tel Aviv for example is only 4 hours.

Northern Africa is on my bucket list for sure.  My Mom has been all over West/Sub-Saharan Africa with only one ugly incident in Mozambique.

Have a great time in Jamaica ... and stay safe.

Hmm... I've read a lot about the government being on the verge of collapse, and terrorism becoming commonplace in Tunisia in the past year or two. That isn't direct knowledge, just what I've read. I'll take both yours and westenders comments at face value though, as it isn't something that I know a ton about. 

RE: creepy! New Jersey guy head based in (Portland) - oldtimer - 03-19-2015

Kilamanjaro is in Kenya .

RE: creepy! New Jersey guy head based in (Portland) - Tim - 03-19-2015

(03-19-2015, 04:43 PM)oldtimer Wrote:  Kilamanjaro is in Kenya .

Actually, its in Tanzania, even further away from Tunisia than Kenya is. Don't see any connection between Tunisia and Kilimanjaro except they are on the same continent.