The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
not sure if someone already posted "crime in Negril" - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: not sure if someone already posted "crime in Negril" (/showthread.php?tid=100867)

not sure if someone already posted "crime in Negril" - Sharleen - 03-15-2015

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20150315/%E2%80%989-5-policing-hurting-negril%E2%80%99-resident

It is late at night in upstate NY, I didn't check to see if any of you posted this already, so if this is a duplicate post, my apologies.   I hope the link works, I see a bunch of percentage points which usually screws the link up.

RE: not sure if someone already posted "crime in Negril" - CardBoardBox - 03-16-2015

Your URL worked (for me) and I had not seen the story mentioned before.

The story is of a meeting where people voiced concern for not enough police, or enough but not being used wisely, and wanting more proactive (ie preventing crime) instead of reactive (after the fact.)

My summary herein is my version and not the official version. The exact first two paragraphs are:

Key stakeholders in Negril have criticised what they say is the inefficient and non-tactical deployment of police personnel based at the station in the area, in the wake of an increase in criminal activity in the resort town.

During the recent monthly meeting of the Negril Resort Board, several stakeholders, including visitors, complained to commanding officer for the Westmoreland Police Division, Superintendent Beau Rigabie, that they feared for their safety, as they were being assaulted, harassed, preyed upon by mendicants and were, at times, unable to walk along the seven- mile stretch of beach in peace.

# # #

One person questioned the importance of 5 cops with a radar gun (at a checkpoint.)

Everything below is a little wandering. Just make believe we're talking while sharing a beer.
Why have check points when there are other criminals out there?

One time I was a passenger in a car stopped at a road inspection, which I considered wasteful at that instant, but as a result I think it saved my life. Nay, I'm convinced it saved my life.

One aspect of road side inspections includes insurance papers. I mention this because a commentor to the newspaper story also commented on:

Discussion on Jamaica-Gleaner a month ago, title:
Real or fake! Bogus auto-insurance documents flood the market as scam widens - Lead Story

(that headline/story is not the reason I am still alive, but the road stop is.)

Therefore, auto check points can serve a real purpose. Some feel that auto inspection stuff is a revenue generator whereas crime (prevention) is not. Being on the road does mean not walking on the beach.

But being on the beach, undercover or in uniform, is probably not an effective use because IMO the locals know who the cops are AND, if you've ever had someone owe you money, those people keep an eye out and you'll never find them.

Tangent; when someone asks when you are leaving, there could be several reasons for it, one being how long they have to disappear for.

I believe being a cop can be tuff. Equally so for the Chief, trying to allocate resources. Perhaps with the news of increased tourists this year, some of that money should be invested in policing.

RE: not sure if someone already posted "crime in Negril" - JamaGinger - 03-16-2015

Thanks for posting this article. I always admire Mr. Grizzle. He gets in there and speaks his mind. I did not realize it was a 9-5 policing situation. With the runnings being what they are in Negril with tourists out walking so much on the street and on the beach, then protecting the tourism business would seem to require a full-time police effort especially in Negril.

RE: not sure if someone already posted "crime in Negril" - kylake - 03-17-2015

Thanks Sharleen, I had not read that article either. Hopefully there will be more business owners (stakeholders) like Mr. Grizzle that will speak up. I feel like only then (hopefully) the policing will change for the better.
Basically though if the the local people do not get more involved (not sure they can without threat to life and family) nothing will ever change.

RE: not sure if someone already posted "crime in Negril" - rastagirl777 - 03-17-2015

Kylake, it is a sticky situation but from what I can gather from this article the NRB meeting was pretty well attended and although "some" say "everything" from water usage to garbage pick up is discussed at these monthly meetings it appears the recent "crime wave" took up most of the agenda.

Glad to hear that visitors went as well as locals (what is this "stakeholder" shit anyway?  Can't they just say what it is - COMMUNITY?).

Betta mus come.

RE: not sure if someone already posted "crime in Negril" - kylake - 03-17-2015

Quote:rastagirl777 wrote: Glad to hear that visitors went as well as locals (what is this "stakeholder" shit anyway?  Can't they just say what it is - COMMUNITY?).
The "stakeholder" stuff is really not my words but it appears "to me" to be a reference to business owners (I see it in reference to people in the meetings of any kind in Jamaica). That said I agree with you the community, as a much larger group, "are" the true stakeholders not just the business owners. But money talks and that is what business owners have more of, sad but true, money talks and bullsh*t walks (no offense to community meant, just the way it is and same here in the states).

RE: not sure if someone already posted "crime in Negril" - rastagirl777 - 03-17-2015

I know its not your word Kylake...press, politicians...they use words like "stakeholders".  In fact the entire community - Jamaicans, expats, business owners, retirees AND tourists have a stake in Negril and are all concerned about the effect the Breakwater and the recent crime wave will have on future dollars.

I had the awesome pleasure of meeting and talking with Mr. Grizzle a couple of years ago over a Croissant and a Cafe Au Lait at his wonderful Charela.  He's a great guy with a huge heart.