The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit (/showthread.php?tid=100863)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - rastagirl777 - 03-16-2015

"It breaks my heart to see some of those who are well traveled down playing the BS happening in Negril."

I don't see that at all!  How do you mean?

Re-reading everything here I know I haven't...Westenders hasn't....???

And my friend, who wrote the letter this post is about...hasn't.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - TAH - 03-16-2015

/head-desk.gif

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - walk slow - 03-16-2015

(03-16-2015, 08:44 PM)rastagirl777 Wrote:  "It breaks my heart to see some of those who are well traveled down playing the BS happening in Negril."

I don't see that at all!  How do you mean?

Re-reading everything here I know I haven't...Westenders hasn't....???

And my friend, who wrote the letter this post is about...hasn't.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - Westenders - 03-17-2015

The rose coloured glasses thing always p***** me off

Despite the varied and valued contributions to this thread...I can't think of one person who I think could be accused of looking at recent events as rosy.

Some of us have lots of positive experiences, despite being aware of the BS....and I personally am not going to jump on the current bandwagon just because it's riding in one direction with lots of passengers....

I also get fed up with the sky is falling in views....there I said it....kill me for it lol...

My feeling is that we should all be aware of the potential risks, and places to avoid at certain times, or at all. But if you haven't had anything happen to you more than the beach hagglers being tits...then there's no reason to be so furious and finger pointy...

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - Westenders - 03-17-2015

JamaGinger, I completely agree with the feeling that a few people are increasingly rude for no reason...

I deal with it on a case by case basis....not always ladylike... This time I went to a bar and I asked the lady for a sandwich and two drinks...perfectly politely...I am never inpolite till you start with me... This lady repeated back to me my order in a kind of Mickey Mouse voice..screwing up her face...maliciously, not in a jokey way....very rude...needless to say I cussed her badly....and took my custom elsewhere, while throwing her hundred dollars telling her to fix her hair before she tries to take the p*** with people.
There is always someone these days... Sometimes I ignore them, sometimes I'm just not letting them get away with it.

With reference to your point about dancehall music, I agree that some lyrics can certainly incite people...one of the beliefs I hear a lot about vybz is that the government and authorities could not allow him to carry on with his incite full lyrics, in that he gave power and strength and a feeling of unity to the poor and suffering...which could have resulted in an uprising.

But dancehall lyrics are also a story and a reflection on life.....that a lot of jamaicans relate to, which creates a sense of empowerment too.

The plain old offensive lyrics about women, violence, homophobia etc... Keeps them right where they are in life...but they don't get it yet...self awareness and putting words into action is not always evident...heated discussions on these and every other subject on earth is commonplace lol..

Obv using the word they a lot, I am generalising, but recognise that there is not one view that fits all.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - JamaGinger - 03-17-2015

Interesting perspective on the authorities being concerned about Kartel's influence. I haven't heard that before, but I can see how people might come to this conclusion.  I did find it interesting that Kartel could get convicted, when the conviction rate is so low in Jamaica. I do think artists like Kartel have significant influence in helping people justify their feelings. Maybe he was just saying the things many were feeling which was what made him so popular.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - troublemaker_420 - 03-19-2015

I think blaming Kartel, or any artist, for the actions of others is immature and feel it is simply somebody looking for a scapegoat instead of solutions.  I'm a believer that art imitates life, and not necessarily vice versa.   Just like gangster rap emerged from America's violent ghettos to give a voice to the unheard, I feel Kartel and the like do (or did) the same in Jamaica.  Blaming one person's influence for the acts of another is wrong, IMO. 

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - macyoder - 03-19-2015

Kids spending endless hours listening to sexual explicit or sexist music won't affect them in any way? There is no power in words and music to influence people . In the same light Bob Marley lyrics can't be credited for any healing? What life of love and peace was his music imitating?

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - booger - 03-20-2015

Nice to see the Negril Chamber of Commerce publicly stating that their is indeed a escalation of crime as of late, and that it is not one's perception that social media is inflating it.

I could not find a link to it on their website, but I did read it on everyone's favorite Negril website, so it must be true.Whistle

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - JamaGinger - 03-20-2015

Immature? I get your drift.

Art does imitate life. And, life imitates art.