The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 41 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit (/showthread.php?tid=100863)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - JamaGinger - 03-15-2015

Westender, I was not directing the caveat to any of your comments. I've seen several mentions of it.

I think you make an excellent point with the following: 

"What is interesting to me is what has caused this tidal wave of change where tourists are regularly being robbed in tourist areas, which in the past would have been a huge no no, for fear of repercussion from the police...and negril getting a bad name where tourists are afraid to visit. That was the ethos that I was familiar with for a long while..."

I am interested in knowing the answer to your question too. Because I can tell you that I have unequivocally seen a difference in the way I am sometimes treated as a tourist in comparison to about six or seven years ago. I remember well the first time I encountered any Jamaican be downright hostile toward me was when I innocently smiled and said hello to a young woman while walking alone on the Bloody Bay Beach at sunset. It was in April, 2010. I also want to go on to emphasize that the majority of Jamaicans treat me and each other with respect from what I have observed.

I have some theories on why. Just like I believe some rap music glorifies and encourages gangsters and criminals in the U.S., I believe some dancehall music and the culture around it glorifies what the scammers and criminals have been doing. The song "Reparation" by Vybz Cartel is an excellent example. 

You take this cultural phenomenon along with the hopelessness and poverty many young people experience today in Jamaica and you end up with where we are now, a place where things are so bad for some that they just don't care anymore about what happens to them.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - rastagirl777 - 03-15-2015

"Life is change? ... Who you telling... That is an obvious fact no one can argue with anywhere."
I wasn't really telling anyone -just reflecting.  Some people, myself included resist change, especially when it comes to things or places I love.  Sadly, resist or not, we all must deal with it one way or another.  The lyric is from a Jefferson Airplane song Smile

The "theory" about the young (meaning younger than me, lol!) folks of Negril perpetuating these crimes of opportunity does not come from me - as a matter of fact I'd like to believe otherwise - it comes from my friend, a young man who moved here from Jamaica several years ago and grew up in Negril.  He just spent a month visiting his family on the West End with his SO and his baby boy.  He was there when all that shyte went down in the beginning of the month.  Having grown up there and having many friends that still live and work there he does offer a unique perspective - like you said often times Jamaicans will not discuss the "wha gwan" with "us".  They will discuss it amongst themselves.

Also, when I was alluding to Dudus Coke the point I was trying to make is that the bad boys associated with him and other gangs in Kingston ran for the "hills" so to speak.  How Mr. Coke is viewed is not my concern...and again, this having anything to do with the escalation of crime in Negril is just a theory, like all the others.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - Sharleen - 03-16-2015

I always (fairly) feel exceptionally safe in the West End.  I wasn't able to go this year... Rastagirl in Cali, I think you might remember where I stay, I think three doors down from you.  Because I pay cheaply I am most of the time there without any night time security but have never had a problem. I do sometimes feel uneasy. I also love to go to the reggae shows and just go outside of my gate and (usually) get an Orange Hill no-red-plate taxi driver, picking up hotel workers, to take me to where I want to go.  When I am staying long term and need a cheap place to stay it's Ocean Edge seafront -- I definitely feel a little bit "creeped out" there, the security guards seem scared to death.  I have never had a problem there, other than the water pressure.  Big up respect to the Canadian national long term resident plumber though.  Ocean Edge is his worst nightmare but he always shows up no matter what.
      Any west end visitors, please let me know your take on the crime.  I moved there in 1972, leasing the house between O'Leary's & Dennis Lynch and lived there for many years.  The West End back then was a really quiet place.  So quiet a vehicle passing by was really rare, though the blue "ice truck" came through once a week.  The area was pretty much one of the safest places on earth in those times. 
    Westenders, please let me know your feelings on the safety in the area.  I want to bring an extended family entourage, including very young children and very old adults....  most of whom are not "sun loving" people. I have been considering this place, whose name I can't recall right now -- it's about a mile or so past the Lighthouse, owned by people in Baltimore, I think the places name starts with a "T".  Oh, Tingalaya.  Any thoughts on the safety up there? 
    So because I started to come to Negril in the early 1970's we hung out at what we called "Rutland Point" before they built the horrid Hedonism.  I know at the end of the point there are some condo's that are regularly for rent.  I am half way thinking of going this route.  My entourage involves people from four years old to ninety years old.  And then thinking again, the west end is most likely not the way to go, Treehouse probably good. 

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - oldtimer - 03-16-2015

Treehouse...as good as you can get . Before Hedo it was Negril Beach Village owned by the Canadian government when Trudeau was Prime Minister . With that many people MAYBE ??? rent a villa ???

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - Westenders - 03-16-2015

Sharleen, I think if you chose to stay at tingalaya you would be as safe as in the past. The trouble up there is targeted...and yes anyone could get caught up in a stray bullet scenario....but my view coming from a country where guns laws are highly restricted...I would think that risk exists in your own country...rural or city..

Tingalaya is quite remote though, and thinking that some of your family might feel a little isolated.

We has breakfast at negril treehouse, this time...my hubby knows majority of the staff there, all good people from hanover, worked their for ages. He only has good things to say about Gail...the reviews are always good too, so maybe treehouse would suit your varied family group.

If your thinking west end still, and a villas as OT suggested...have a look at Mr Browns place ' croton grove' right next to lances shop.
The houses he has for rent are a good size, rustic but clean. He keeps the grounds neat too. In terms of security, he lives on site and is well known historically in negril.. You and your family would be safe there for sure, and more centrally located.

Sounds like you will have a great time..beach or west end..

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - rootswoman - 03-16-2015

Westenders - sorry I was so vague - I had limited time to make my point.

I have been reading a lot of back and forth about crime in Negril and I get so tired of people saying "it could happen anywhere." (or as the author of that letter keeps repeatedly saying "True enough, though, that could happen anywhere."  )  Perhaps it could, but the odds are pretty low in most places, unless you are talking about the five countries with higher murder rates than Jamaica.  

[ltr]"These 10 Countries Have The World's Highest Murder Rates"[/ltr]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/10/worlds-highest-murder-rates_n_5125188.html 

and then there is vehicular manslaughter, child abuse, domestic abuse, robberies and rape.    Yes - all of these things happen everywhere but what are the odds?   

Lastly - if (heaven forbid) any of the above do take place, you cant count on the police or the ambulance or the hospital to save your life.

Sorry to be so negative.  I still think anyone can go and have a fine vacation. I just get tired of peoples efforts to minimize the dangers in Negril.  Putting ones head in the sand and acting like all is irie is not going to help the situation.  The first step in solving a problem is admitting the problem exists.  

Oh jeeze - my format is all weird 

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - captaind on Zion Hill - 03-16-2015

There were 6 gun murders in Jacksonville Fl this weekend.

I live in St. Augustine Beach just a scant 25 miles away.

I'm thinking of moving!

Cap

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - fatty pondirock - 03-16-2015

Cap....just curious...how many gun murders in St. Augustine Beach (which has about double the native population of Negril) so far this year???
You seem to be making jest of a very serious situation here in Negril. You want to compare Negril, JA to a city the size of Jacksonville, Fla?? Gimme a break!!!

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-St.-Augustine-Beach-Florida.html

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - captaind on Zion Hill - 03-16-2015

Fatty,

Only two in St. Augustine this year. Both domestic violence. Two others by police action. None here on the Beach.

Not making light just call it whistling thru the grave yard.

Of course I'm concerned.

Cap

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - booger - 03-16-2015

It breaks my heart to see some of those who are well traveled down playing the BS happening in Negril. While I agree the bit of edge is an attractant, however the fuckery as of late needs to take notice.

Soon come Fatty