The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 41 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit (/showthread.php?tid=100863)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - kylake - 03-13-2015

Honestly RG and with all due respect and hoping to meet you someday, I think hysteria was and is just a poor choice of words.
hysteria

[hi-ster-ee-uh, -steer-]

Examples
    Word Origin

noun
an uncontrollable outburst of emotion or fear, often characterized by irrationality, laughter, weeping, etc.
Psychoanalysis. a psychoneurotic disorder characterized by violent emotional outbreaks, disturbances of sensory and motor functions, and various abnormal effects due to autosuggestion.
Psychiatry. conversion disorder.
-------------------
1. I don't remember any uncontrollable outburst or irrationality (just a discussion). If there was laughter and weeping I truly don't remember it. Maybe on FB but I really don't go there much at all.
2. I don't think I saw any of that
3. I believe we all have a dose of that Smile

BTW, this is all in jest on what I still consider a serious problem that is growing in Negril that needs, as your friend pointed out, some action taken by the officials in charge. My question and concern is will that happen in a serious manner?
I guess you think I am displaying hysteria but I am not. I am just questioning the problem that is growing and seemingly, not being seriously addressed, by the officials in charge and that "could" spill over into a serious problem for tourist whether they are staying on and AI and leave the premises or like me just want to get out and about.
If it were truly only on Lime sreet that would be different but problem appears to be broader than just that one lane/street since you even mentioned problems on the beach unless I misread.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - macyoder - 03-14-2015

"Some love that drama but there's other "real" experiences to have outside of a resort and Ricks without feeling the danger."

I think I have done a very good job of sharing those as well, such as Port Antonio and the north coast. My true concern, so many desire to get to know the locals, they might get into things that only locals should experience. If my hubby got hurt in my hometown, the initial report will say white American tourist hurt while on vacation. In reality the vacation did not start in my hometown, that was a visit. If I got hurt, no one would notice or they might think I am on an extended vacation :-). Not sure why, but if I don't answer my phone someone thinks I am on vacation. I agree 1000 percent that the odds of getting hurt as a 'real' tourist, just trying to chill is slim, for now.

Recall the Natalie Holloway story, how it changed with time? 

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - rastagirl777 - 03-14-2015

You know Macy, I lost track of the Natalie Holloway thing years back but it is a potent reminder of "what can happen" - and this, in Aruba.  Updates?

Maybe "hysteria" was a poor choice of words....I guess what I was reacting to was the whole "sky is falling" "Chicken Little" fear based shit.  It pushes a button deep inside me, especially since 9-11 when it seemed everyone was freaking out.

I'm of the belief that if you let the "bad guys" scare you off from doing or being somewhere you love they win.  Excuse my French but Fuck Them.  These assholes don't get to "win".

"If it were truly only on Lime sreet that would be different but problem appears to be broader than just that one lane/street since you even mentioned problems on the beach unless I misread."

Regarding the SHOOTINGS (not the opportunistic robberies with no injuries) the ones that happened did happen on Lime Tree Lane, the other on Sommerset Lane at 4:00am (in the course of a robbery).  These are two areas that tourists do not frequent.  Hysterical/Sky is Falling comments to which I reacted concerned the theory that tourists MIGHT get caught up in shootings such as these - a fear based comment based in no truth, just speculation of the worst - and made to put the fear in folks who scare easily.  And sadly...it works on more people than I would have thought previously.  You can't make someone "un-scared" (really Nikki?  Grammar much?) - and if someone is truly afraid to return to a place based on a theory such as that then they should not return.  But the theory is baseless and put forth for dramatic purposes only.  That to me is "hysterical", Webster definition aside.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - fatty pondirock - 03-14-2015

" the other on Summerset Lane at 4:00am (in the course of a robbery).  These are two areas that tourists do not frequent."

I know quite a few single ladies (tourists) that stay up that lane and I would imagine a lot of people access the gym by walking up that lane. I also wonder if the incident at the gym would have turned out differently if a "tourist" was in there working out at the time of the robbery??? Maybe it would have been fatal for a witness who would be able to identify the gunman???
Just my thoughts!!!

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - TAH - 03-14-2015

(03-14-2015, 01:15 PM)rastagirl777 Wrote:  "If it were truly only on Lime sreet that would be different but problem appears to be broader than just that one lane/street since you even mentioned problems on the beach unless I misread."

Regarding the SHOOTINGS (not the opportunistic robberies with no injuries) the ones that happened did happen on Lime Tree Lane, the other on Sommerset Lane at 4:00am (in the course of a robbery).  These are two areas that tourists do not frequent.  Hysterical/Sky is Falling comments to which I reacted concerned the theory that tourists MIGHT get caught up in shootings such as these - a fear based comment based in no truth, just speculation of the worst - and made to put the fear in folks who scare easily.  And sadly...it works on more people than I would have thought previously.  You can't make someone "un-scared" (really Nikki?  Grammar much?) - and if someone is truly afraid to return to a place based on a theory such as that then they should not return.  But the theory is baseless and put forth for dramatic purposes only.  That to me is "hysterical", Webster definition aside.

Now you're misleading people in a bad way. To tell people that those aren't areas where a tourist is likely to be is just wrong. I'm frequently in the direct vicinity of Lime Tree. A lot. I'm a tourist. And no, I'm not doing anything that I shouldn't be doing. 

There is no "sky is falling shit", just legit concern on the part of frequent guests and newbies alike. To try to tell them there's basically no chance this affects them is wrong. It's frustrating. Especially when you insist on talking down to people who don't live there. 

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - booger - 03-14-2015

My comments were not to insight fear. My comments were just a touch of logic. I have been to the gym, granted not at 4 am. I know many people who use the gym, both local and tourist. Your comments Rasta are simply not true.

Fatty, I think the key words here are "4:00am".  "Vicinity of Lime Tree Lane" is not the same as ON Lime Tree Lane, up the lane, hanging out at the same shop those victims were at.

BTW, my godson's property is two doors down from that gym.  That robbery and subsequent shooting definitely shook us up.  I guess they all do.

I think the take-away here is (1) Don't find yourself in reputed sketchy places (i.e., Lime Tree Lane) or (2) up a lane or dark street at 4:00am.

There are ways to take care of ourselves and I agree information about current crime situations can help us "tune up" those ways to take care of ourselves.  Unfortunately we live in a world where we all need to do that everywhere to varying degrees.  A little common sense, a little street smarts and listening and learning from those who know, especially locals can certainly turn your vacation from a fearful one into a peaceful one.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - IJ - 03-14-2015

That to me is "hysterical", Webster definition aside. "

Yeah, what would Webster know about definitions......?

You disregard the definition of a word, instead of admitting you used it incorrectly, much as you disregard the current situation in Negril in an attempt to add value to your opinion.

Doesn't work for me.

There was a shooting just outside Red Dragon while I was having a beer inside and many "tourists" were in the area. One could very easily have been shot - and I do not need you telling me it cannot happen.

There was a shooting at Corner Bar with several tourists in the area. One could very easily have been shot there also - regardless of your opinion.  

The shooting next to Collette's (sp), was on the main street up to Red Dragon - I suppose these Gunmen are so thoughtful of tourist that we could never be in harm’s way there either....?

There was a shooting on Norman Manley Boulevard reported and it happened in the middle of the day with tourist in the area. A bad shot or a ricochet could easily hit a tourist in this type situation. 

The latest shooting on Lime Tree Lane was just off the corner of One Love Drive. Tourists are clearly in range of gunfire even if they are not on Lime Tree Lane.

Your horse$#*! opinion and your agenda do nothing for the good of Negril. In fact, if believed it puts many people in harm’s way, because it is total BS.

The violence in Negril is escalating rapidly. The locals are talking about it all over Negril. I do not have to get my news from the internet, so don't tell me that is the only reason more of it is being mentioned - that is total BS. There was crime in Negril 30 years ago, but nothing remotely close to the violence happening daily now.

In the past 30 years I have averaged over 3 trips a year to Negril.
I have spent over 2 years living in Negril. The increase in violence is not only Real, it is alarming. You do not have to take my opinion or ask a local for theirs. Just listen for a short while and the subject will come up among locals in their everyday conversation. Bartenders worried about closing up late nights. Worries about getting home late. Worries about the increase in robberies, increase in thieves, the influx of criminals from other parts of the island, increase in guns & gun violence, increase in murders - the talk is real and can be heard all over Negril.

It is just a matter of time before a tourist is shot and I imagine you will try to color that as the tourist fault too.

"They shouldn't have been in that area."
"They shouldn't have been out that late."
"They should have taken more precautions."
"They were drunk."
"Everyone knows not to go there."
“If they had used a little street smarts or just listened, there would not have been a problem.”
“They should have used some common sense.”
Blah, Blah, Blah, Bumbaclot!

The BLAME is not on the tourists rather it is on the gunman and the citizens and business owners in Negril.
The local community needs to step up and stop this violent activity & Now.

People blaming tourists for crimes committed against them are not just ignorant, but they are some low-life individuals. Locals unwilling to come forward with evidence against these thugs are equally to blame. Many business owners allow these criminals to hang around their properties and that is also disgusting.

This type of violence Does NOT Occur Everywhere – there has been one murder ( it was by someone from another town  that followed someone here & killed him) in my community of over 120,000, in the recorded history. When a crime is executed in my community, witnesses step up, give information to authorities and help in the capture of those that committed the crime. Many of the criminals in Negril are known to be so by the local citizens. A task force needs to be set up to eliminate this scum from their town. If the police do not want to step up, perhaps a little vigilante group needs to be formed to eradicate these low-life criminals.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - Timbo alogo - 03-14-2015

Awesome post!!

Im doing the slow clap