The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 41 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit (/showthread.php?tid=100863)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - macyoder - 03-12-2015

"Prophesizing that tourists will be caught up in a shooting has no basis in truth " 

More like sad reality. I have no problem telling people to book a resort but others seem to think hanging with the locals is the way to go. Fine, but they are risking getting what the duck or local got. I think tourists who stay on the straight and narrow are fine. Being a tourist, going to Rick's, and staying at a resort, aren't the 'real' experience for some.  I personally worry more about my family in the non tourist areas.  

I think its a joke to tell anyone you are going to keep coming. They have no incentive to change to accommodate your visit. Wouldn't a threat to boycott do the trick or some kind of rally no, no, we won't go :-) I think the JTB is listening to the posters who are coming , no matter what, with no regard to personal safety. They have built enough resorts for the ones who want to feel safe. The A/I Hyatt Ziva and Zilari are now in Montego Bay.  

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - oldtimer - 03-13-2015

What 12 pages are you guys talking about ? Yes I to think it was a well written letter .

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - rastagirl777 - 03-13-2015

Pauline - I enjoy my "real" experiences in Jamaica.  As you know I do not stay at an AI, I haven't been to Ricks in many years but I also don't go where the gut or my local friends advise I don't - like Lime Tree Lane.  My Jamaican neighbors don't go up that lane either.  Every town has its "bad" area.  Back in the day Bedford Stuyvesant in Brooklyn was a place that if you didn't "belong" there you didn't venture there.  In San Francisco, that would be the Potrero Hill projects.

Can you imagine, a tourist visiting San Francisco wanting a "real" experience going up into the PH Projects?  They would be subjected to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  They can enjoy just as real an experience by visiting neighborhoods in the city such as the Haight-Ashbury.  History and residents all in one.  Sure, you'll step over a few homeless kids but its a city after all (grimace).

If I can avoid sticky situations and bad vibes in bad areas anywhere, specifically in Negril I do and I'm not what I consider an "average" tourist.  I was warned about Lime Tree Lane on my second or third trip in the early 90's.  I have no business there, therefore I do not go there.

I have found myself in areas or places where things were not right in my gut.  I left.

The chance of a tourist being caught up in a gangland shooting are slim to none as long as that tourist listens to their gut and the locals around them and stay out of dicey areas and situations.  Some love that drama but there's other "real" experiences to have outside of a resort and Ricks without feeling the danger.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - JonTom - 03-13-2015

Kylake, I also noticed the duplicate paragraph and doubt the original letter had that; the online versions of The Observer and The Gleaner do that with some regularity.
Also, user "Audrey Wright  " wrote in reply to a comment on the duplication: "It was edited slightly by the Observer Wink"

There was, however, a misspelling of "were" instead of "where". That may have been in the original.

The use of "favourite" (vs. favorite) may indicate a non-American writer (despite the Chicago reference). Maybe enough time in Jamaica would influence spelling as well.

As for the article:

"I had my flight booked, my favourite room waiting for me, but it just didn't work out." ... is about the only reference to the trip cancellation. I didn't see any (other) explanation. She does make it clear she intends to return.

This, to me, doesn't sound like someone who is comfortable that no ill can come to them if they stay within their usual routine:
"That could have been me sitting in a small, quaint Jamaican bar sipping on a rum and coke, all while shots were being fired."

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - captaind on Zion Hill - 03-13-2015

For me real Jamaica is Spring Garden. Goats, fowl, yard dogs....

I am so happy to not be staying in Negril again

Never liked it that much anyway. Even in the 70s

To me, "real" Jamaica is my neighborhood on the West End.  Very few hotels, mostly residential and a great community feel.

Hey, its what I know.  I know that my friend who lives in Spring Garden last winter had to stay in her house while the police hunted down the Malta Gang who were all over that area.  That's pretty real, I'll grant you that.

I'm sure lots of you will start up again on how my experience is less "real" than yours - go for it.  I'll share it with my neighbors again, they had a great time with it last time!!

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria

LOL!"

Mysoginistic much?  **head shake**

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - oldtimer - 03-13-2015

favourite...Canadian spelling !!! harbour ,colour etc. we say "eh " and we use "u"....hehehe

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - captaind on Zion Hill - 03-13-2015

(03-13-2015, 03:36 PM)rastagirl777 Wrote:  Hey, its what I know.  I know that my friend who lives in Spring Garden last winter had to stay in her house while the police hunted down the Malta Gang who were all over that area.  That's pretty real, I'll grant you that.

I was there at that time. It wasn't Spring Garden it was Ketto. And they WERE in the area. However, somehow they met and unfortunate accident. It was only 24 hrs and all's well that ends well. Nothing since then. I think early last year?

I worked in Negril for 9 seasons. I just prefer the hills.

Respect

Cap

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - booger - 03-13-2015

(03-13-2015, 03:40 PM)rastagirl777 Wrote:  "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria

LOL!"

Mysoginistic much?  **head shake**

Hardly... I love women, especially the 3 who I am taking to Jamaica, so much that drew my "sky is falling hysteria" comments in the 12 page thread.