The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit (/showthread.php?tid=100863)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - JonTom - 03-12-2015

The issue of crime in Negril has obviously been much discussed here, but I think this is the 1st time I've seen a letter in a JA newspaper openly discussing crime/events affecting tourism.

For all I know the letter-writer is on this board. Similar sentiments have certainly been expressed here. 

At 1st I was surprised the Butch Stewart owned newspaper would print this, but upon reflection, maybe it makes sense to use it as another avenue to pressure the JA powers-that-be to do something.

"I'm gonna keep visiting...so Ja needs to get the madness under control"

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/columns/I-m-gonna-keep-visiting---so-Ja-needs-to-get-the-madness-under-control_18554161

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - rastagirl777 - 03-12-2015

That letter is written by a friend of mine.  Read it again - she did not cancel her trip because of the crime...other stuff in her life came up and she couldn't make it this season.  Like me she spends a couple/few months there at a time.

This is the way to do it - no hysteria, no scare tactics, the sky is not falling.  Well written well placed letters might help and definitely would not hurt.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - booger - 03-12-2015

Rasta,
 Where do read about hysteria sky is falling, etc?
Facebook?

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - Passion4Diving - 03-12-2015

Well written.

What seemed out of place was the reference to "American-Owned" AIs.  Seems to me that the majority of the Negril AIs are owned by companies based in Jamaica, Spain or Mexico.

Booger - here and on Facebook.  There's 12 pages of it several posts down - a thread both you and I participated in.  I'm glad its fallen down the list.

RE: letter to Observer - Cancelled Negril visit - kylake - 03-12-2015

Quote:Rastagirl777 said: There's 12 pages of it several posts down
With all due respect I would call it a discussion of crime in Negril and not refer to those 12 pages as hysteria. Also what the person you know was well written but the paper seemed to have a duplication on 2 paragraphs or maybe I did it with my eyes:-)

(03-12-2015, 07:19 PM)kylake Wrote:  
Quote:Rastagirl777 said: There's 12 pages of it several posts down
With all due respect I would call it a discussion of crime in Negril and not refer to those 12 pages as hysteria. Also what the person you know was well written but the paper seemed to have a duplication on 2 paragraphs or maybe I did it with my eyes:-)

Agreed. This is the website where you can speak your mind, spread some truth. It was pretty shitty in Negril, particularly the West End, for a few days and to have concern about the environment is understandable. 

Hysteria? LOL

"At the rate the bullets are flying it's just a matter of time before an innocent tourist/vacationer/expat takes one. "
I find this to be a hysterical statement.

"My next trip is planned for the beach as well, but a part of me wants to change it up to Costa Rica. "
A response to hysteria

"it's just a matter of time . . . a lot of tourists sit at the corner bar . . . one of these days, one of those tourists will be there when a shooting happens . . . "
And...more hysteria

"Just cancelled my April trip, to Negril that is"
And another reaction to the hysteria

...I'm tired of cutting and pasting.  But these kinds of statements and responses are useless as far as trying to do something about the problem.  I admire my friend for stepping up and writing the letter and I plan to take her lead with some letter writing of my own!  And I'm not saying that thread did not produce some good helpful discussion - in re-reading it there was more of that than the hysteria.  Facebook hysteria is rampant though - so I just don't read it.  I'm all about free speech.

Its a situation where we as non-citizens are helpless.  Letter writing to the newspapers, JTB, Negril Resort Board, the Chamber of Commerce or to Wyckem McNeil (I screwed the spelling of his first name) is a way we can try to help, if we care to do so.

Geez, I lived in Manhattan in the early 80's.  There were some REAL rough neighborhoods and many unsavory ones.  If there was a Facebook or Trip Advisor then do you think tourists would have been cancelling their trips? 

"This is the website where you can speak your mind, spread some truth. It was pretty shitty in Negril, particularly the West End, for a few days and to have concern about the environment is understandable. "
Agreed - and I'll never be the one to stifle anyone's opinion.  But my opinion is that some of these statements were hysterical.  MY opinion.  Freely shared on this board. Hysteria is not truth. Prophesizing that tourists will be caught up in a shooting has no basis in truth and is, IN MY OPINION a hysterical reaction, the sharing of FEAR rather than TRUTH. In other words....

Hysteria!

Yes, it was shitty on the West End as far as local on local violence and crime last week.  It's been REALLY shitty on the beach as far as crime against tourists with several hold-ups and robberies, several this past week as "reported" on FB and TA. ALL of Negril is affected by the bad guys. Action is needed for everyone's sake.

This is the only hysteria I see on this post as well as the 12 pager.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria

LOL!