The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
I'm coming back to finish what I started - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: I'm coming back to finish what I started (/showthread.php?tid=100857)

I'm coming back to finish what I started - LostBeachBum - 03-08-2015

Hi everyone,

10 years ago, I took my first solo trip to Jamaica. Actually it was my first solo trip anywhere. That first trip set in motion a journey that has taken me around the world several times to more than 30 countries producing countless stories and learned skills. But I never forgot where it all started. Even before that trip at 20 years old, twice in my younger years, my family and I took trips to the island. Those are some of my happiest memories. I've decided to finally finish my book and also write a cook book in collaboration with a good friend of mine. What better place to finish the book than where it all started. It's been 7 months since I've seen an island so I've decided to come back to Jamroc. This time is different and I'm coming with a purpose other than clearing my head. When I came back to Baltimore in Oct, I almost bought a small cafe. But real life scared the hell out of me and I went back on the road and took some private Chef gigs instead. Now, with my finances dwindling, I just recently had a serious health scare and it's time for me to get healthy and stay that way. Also with the information I was just given, I know that I want people to hear my story, it deserves to be told. If my news from the doctor had been bad, people would never have got to read the story of me. That was a wake up call. Lots of bad influences for me everywhere but Jamaica has always been my goto place at times like this in my life.

I have lots of ideas and plans for my stay. All I want to do is cook, swim, fish, write and live on the beach. I've made several artisan products down there in the past in small quantities. All were loved but most were given away or sent home. Now, my friend and I plan on selling them to locals, expats and travelers. Things like infused olive oils, pickled onions/peppers, hot sauces, chutneys and jams. Pates and tapenades if I can find chicken livers... Homemade coconut oil, coconut butter, beef and pork jerky, bacon and sausage, sauerkraut and kimchi, cakes, cookies, brownies and candies. We both have friends all over the island and I know a few beach peddlers very well who I might contract into selling some products. These are all just ideas to supplement my writing and fill the day so who knows what will actually be produced. I'll know more once I figure out what the demand is. My friends still want me to sell jerk chicken from a push cart, but after my last experience I'll leave that to the locals. Maybe grilled lobster, but only if my Jamaican friend is there with me as a partner. MMMM, sous vide grilled jerk lobster!

I'm bringing down a few cooking toys to play with including my Anova sous vide, blow torch, food processor, lots a precision hand tools and vacuum sealer. Definitely bringing my Magical butter machine Smile  Maybe even my whipper but I doubt I'll be able to find the nitrous down there. I'll also bring down lots of hard to find and expensive ingredients. Going to maximize my luggage allotment, maybe even a friend's if she comes with me.

So there it is, I'm coming back to Jah and just in time for the end of spring break. The little one that happens in Negril anyway. I love this time of year, the weather is my favorite for the next 2 months. I should be down in the next 2 weeks. It would be great to finally catch up with some folks from this board who have been so supportive over the years. If anyone is on the island and has a desire for any products that might do well, let me know. Any feedback is appreciated!

Bless up!

John

RE: I'm coming back to finish what I started - Oldtimer2 - 03-09-2015

I hope all goes well .!!

RE: I'm coming back to finish what I started - Schuttzie - 03-09-2015

It is great to hear from you again, LBB~  I'm glad your health consult wasn't bad but sometimes it takes a wake up call to get ourselves in gear healthwise.  Please check in while you are in JA.

I wish much success in your new adventure!  Bless~

RE: I'm coming back to finish what I started - kylake - 03-09-2015

LBB, good luck on accomplishing what you want to do this time.

RE: I'm coming back to finish what I started - fatty pondirock - 03-10-2015

"If anyone is on the island and has a desire for any products that might do well, let me know."

Good luck on your new endeavor John. Maybe post where one can find you for these products after you are established on the beach...we'd be interested!!!