The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Cuba... - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Cuba... (/showthread.php?tid=100846)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Cuba... - Westenders - 03-08-2015

Tim and TAH ....I wasnt referring  to your post but the snarky one above yours hope. that clears that up . Think we crossed in postings.

RE: Cuba... - Tim - 03-08-2015

(03-08-2015, 01:45 PM)Westenders Wrote:  Tim and TAH ....I wasnt referring  to your post but the snarky one above yours hope. that clears that up . Think we crossed in postings.

In that case I retract my words. Thanks for clarifying.

I won't be defecting anywhere anyways, I like to travel to different places and experience the culture everywhere. Jamaica included.

RE: Cuba... - Timbo alogo - 03-08-2015

Cayo Coco has one of the most beautifull beaches on the planet.
 No higglers and much more relaxed.
But there wasn't any weed or reggae.
Just different, not better or worse in my opinion

RE: Cuba... - macyoder - 03-08-2015

The word culture comes up a lot like respect but Jamaica has so many sub-cultures, like dialects. I am always curious the one that people seek. I am from the country, often referred to as bush, and locals are very distant , standoffish, to outsiders. There would be NO chance of going and hanging out. Rastas and weed are still taboo, and only tolerated to save face when foreigners are around. 

For me culture is like love and friendship, it  takes time. Once you experience the up and downs, there is room to question whether it was worth it.  Not going on vacation to experience love or friendship either. I know many do!

RE: Cuba... - Sophie - 03-08-2015

I have been staying on top of this. The latest info I have seen is that flights between Key West and Cuba are starting up this month. Also later this year there should be a ferry between Marathon and Havana. You can bet your bippy it won't be long before commercial flights from the states are up and running~~ there is money to be made so the push is on.

As far as the restrictions go? Nope- all on an "honor system". I can't wait to check it out. I'm sure it's not perfect there but I want to see for myself.  

Tim

I thought I'd respond to your other post seeing as you directed it at me.

I don't think I am being negative about Cuba at all, I am just raising a point and asking why members think that Cuba is being hailed as a place that would attract en masse tourists that previously frequently visited jamaica.

I also made a few points that are a reality in Cuba, just like how you perceived your posts to be in the thread about crime in Jamaica. In that thread, you were accused about being Mr negative, which you took great affront to. To then define my post as negative, kind of surprises me.

I'm not negative about Cuba, I think you'll see I said it is a wonderful place with wonderful people, and encouraged anyone to go visit, it's worth the experience.

I can't comment in the fish in the sea around Cuba or jamaica lol,not my thing

totally agree, the beach the sun, the sea are beautiful, and I have often told friends here that Cuba is one of the most visually beautiful countries that I have visited.

We did the whole tourist thing when we went there, horse riding, jet skis, swimming with dolphins, cigar factory , sugar caning etc.... ( can't wait to see people start complaining about the jet skis and horses.. I feel sorry for Cuba when that all starts) but AI is not my thing either, but had my daughter with us, so had to put up with it)

I spent two weeks at Brisas so think I'm able to trump you with a personal opinion of that hotel,  rather than a day visitor, and yes I think it is up a notch from club amigo lol...recall we looked at club when booking but the reviews were a bit iffy! 

I made no comment about crime against tourist being low, or that this was a bad thing. I said and meant that the crime rate for Cuba is low, in fact I am aware that they have an extremely low crime rate, which I think is excellent, especially for the safety of the Cubans. My point was focused on the fact that I think this may change when the regime becomes more relaxed.

Poverty is intriguing to me in Cuba. With our western values we look at this country and its people as impoverished., when in actual fact they have a better infrastructure for protecting the quality of life for its people than many countries, certainly jamaica. With free education and healthcare, housing, transport systems, and the food ration system, where every person is entitled to a weekly amount of rice, flour, and veg, provided by the government at the ration shops. No one is without access to these basics in Cuba , unlike jamaica, and some developed countries. I'm not a fan of communism, but like these elements of it.

I didn't like the army standing at the entrance to my plane on guard with the rifles cocked in the air, you might be okay with it, but that's not something that is the norm in England or places I visit.You said that you saw this at Disney, this has added one more reason to my  list of a thousand reasons to never visit Disneyland ..lol

There are a few small shack bars near the brisas, you are right, but they are nothing that would entice me back there. Okay for a short time. Personally I like more choice, but it's horses for courses. In my opinion, the visitors to jamaica that post on this board are the more adventurous type who like to get out and about a country they visit...sitting in and in close proximity to an AI is more TA than the yellow board... Did you go off into Cuba at night??? Same as jamaica the AI tell you not to, and they don't have the level of taxis that we might be used to. Havana is also not recommended without it being a guided excursion.

I did experience beggars, you may not have, but we did. The black Cuban hotel staff even asked my daughter for her hair and make up products, saying they struggle to get them in Cuba ....same hair and skin tone.
 We were also swimming in the sea one day and some Cuban gypsies were floating around, asking us and other tourists for clothes. The cleaning staff asked us for clothing as well. I haven't experienced this in jamaica. I'm not saying it's widespread, but it was definitely there.

So this ended up being long, but to clarify Tim, I am not down on Cuba, I enjoyed it there, but I wouldn't go back...too boring for me...but I admired a lot about their way of life....my point in my other threads is that I don't think all the positive aspects will remain once the trade embargo relaxes and visitors are allowed in.. Although I think that is decades away! 
Once Cubans are allowed free movement and unrestricted access to the Internet, and enjoy access to things like mobile phones....life in Cuba will not remain the same...but change is inevitable... But let's not put Cuba on a pedestal. This is not the Cuba that will exist in the future when US visitors are allowed to visit. I stress this is just my opinion, !!

Enjoyed your photos by the way, hope you don't defect from jamaica, and you get chance to enjoy it again how you once did.

Macy, just wanted to say the age of consent is 16 in England too.

I agree country is different and a lot better in many good ways.... I just get bored quickly as I enjoy the coast. I'm a proper city chic over here, country there or here is something I enjoy in small doses,

RE: Cuba... - Blues Pirate - 03-09-2015

(03-08-2015, 12:17 PM)Westenders Wrote:  See now, remember my thread a few months ago about certain posters on trip advisor , the post above demonstrates my points perfectly.

It adds no value to the discussion on this thread.

Heres hoping to certain people defecting to visiting Cuba instead?

Now THAT was helpful and was a valuable contribution to this thread. LMAO. Why is it that my disagreeing with your perception about a resort which I also stayed at (also in a villa unit), has no value, and that my thoughts and experiences on Cuba differing from yours becomes invalid to other readers? Did you decide that you are now the self-proclaimed expert on all things Cuba and whatever anyone else has to say is BS. My perception is no less important than yours Westie. Each to their own. Seriously you need to deflate your ego and get real.

RE: Cuba... - Schuttzie - 03-09-2015

I love everyone's point of view!  I hope to travel to Cuba, too, one day.

Tim, thank you for your pictures they are wonderful!

RE: Cuba... - macyoder - 03-09-2015

I love to meet other tourists while vacationing. Over the years I have made friends with a few. I welcome the Americans travelers, less the ones who ignore the need in their own country or take picture of locals as if they were monkeys. Share picture of your true friends, family and kids. 

I might not object if you accidentally took a picture of an Italian and decide to share. While you are at it any random white person. I don't see enough of them :-)