The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 41 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Cuba... - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Cuba... (/showthread.php?tid=100846)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Cuba... - macyoder - 03-07-2015

http://www.cheapair.com/blog/cheapair-news/cheapair-now-booking-flights-to-cuba

You can book and simply check one of the 12 reasons, including supporting the Cuban people.

"Before making your purchase with CheapAir you will be required to indicate which applies to your travel situation. Unfortunately, a week on a Cuban beach isn’t on the list!"

RE: Cuba... - TAH - 03-07-2015

Is it really that simple? I kind of doubt that honestly. 

RE: Cuba... - suzengrace - 03-07-2015

We'll just have to do some more research and find out...I know COPA airlines offers flight LAX to havana (thru panama-which would be a cool stopover for a few days)..My friend whos a travel agent says the restrictions are definitely coming down...OK, anyone find some info please come back and put it on this thread... 

We could always travel to Cuba but of course illegal to spend money. I will BEG my Canadian friends to foot the bill :-) 

"This is not a method that we recommend. Hundreds of Americans — maybe thousands — go to Cuba every year by flying through a third country, usually the Bahamas, Mexico or Canada. Cuban immigration officials, eager to welcome visitors and their dollars, rarely if ever stamp American passports, so it is possible to have an unrestricted visit. But it’s not a wise idea. While traveling to Cuba is not itself illegal, the moment you buy your first drink, you’ve broken the law. Paying for anything at all means that you’ve violated the embargo and risk fines of up to $250,000. And if you lie to United States customs officials to hide your trip to Cuba upon re-entry, you will be violating a whole different set of federal laws that have nothing to do with the embargo. Tourists are rarely penalized for violating the embargo — the Obama administration has focused its enforcement efforts on businesses — but those bold or dumb enough to try to smuggle home a few Cuban cigars shouldn’t expect to get away without a hassle and some serious legal bills.

RE: Cuba... - Westenders - 03-07-2015

Not sure why Cuba is being hailed as the next big thing / alternative to jamaica.

Crime is low in the country at the moment as it is a communist country, with a harsh punitive system to deter anyone from committing a crime.

Human rights violations in Cuba are just as prevalent , with objectors to the regime, being disposed of.

It is a beautiful country with beautiful people... But once the restrictions are lifted and capitalism permeates, it will be like everywhere else!

We stayed at the brisas guardalavca in a beautiful villa. The only AI where I've lost weight on holiday. The food is terrible and there is a lack of it due to the embargo.  We lived off eggs and mashed potatoes yuk!
Cuba has to get its meat from other countries like Venezuela and is hampered by availability and reliability.
In Cuba, it's illegal to kill a cow, as its protected as a working animal.
You will not see the variety of food that you are used to in other countries you may have visited.

Immigration there won't turn a blind eye as the article suggests. All personnel at the airport are in the Cuban army...are very formal.. That includes check in, security and guides to the plane. When we went there were army officers at the bottom of the stairs to the plane, with their rifles out...very surreal.

Holguin has a VIP lounge in the airport that we used and was quite nice. Snacks very poor though.

It's worth a visit, for sure...but not sure why people think it will be a good 

Crime is low in the country at the moment as it is a communist country, with a harsh punitive system to deter anyone from committing a crime.

Human rights violations in Cuba are just as prevalent , with objectors to the regime, being disposed of.

It is a beautiful country with beautiful people... But once the restrictions are lifted and capitalism permeates, it will be like everywhere else!

We stayed at the brisas guardalavca in a beautiful villa. The only AI where I've lost weight on holiday. The food is terrible and there is a lack of it due to the embargo.  We lived off eggs and mashed potatoes yuk!
Cuba has to get its meat from other countries like Venezuela and is hampered by availability and reliability.
In Cuba, it's illegal to kill a cow, as its protected as a working animal.
You will not see the variety of food that you are used to in other countries you may have visited.

Immigration there won't turn a blind eye as the article suggests. All personnel at the airport are in the Cuban army...are very formal.. That includes check in, security and guides to the plane. When we went there were army officers at the bottom of the stairs to the plane, with their rifles out...very surreal.

Holguin has a VIP lounge in the airport that we used and was quite nice. Snacks very poor though.

It's worth a visit, for sure...but not sure why people think it will be a good 

"but not sure why people think it will be a good "

Many have gone and enjoyed it plus NO weed. Low crime rate and less weed might make a good match for families with children. I have 3 trips planned already, since my Canadian family swears by it. 

RE: Cuba... - Westenders - 03-08-2015

Macy there is weed there, not as obvious as jamaica granted, but definitely there.
Now as a non weed smoker, and someone that dose'nt agree with the political changes with regards to cannabis, I would share that positive viewpoint with you, but I don't think many on here might agree that, this is what makes Cuba an attractive alternative to Jamaica.

I agree, the crime rate is low at the moment, because of the political regime in place. When the regime is relaxed enough to allow visitors from the U.S. and capitalism replaces communism, that low crime rate will escalate.

There are beggars there, the staff ask you for things too...so some similarities to JA in that regard.

There is also the language barrier and a lack of places to hang out. An occasional beach shack...mostly you will be in your AI...so not as many opportunities to experience Cuban life or interact with the locals in the same way as jamaica.
The essence and vibe is totally different, so where as I think Cuba is a great place to visit and experience, I can't see it attracting the regular , long term crowd that jamaica and negril has.

RE: Cuba... - oldtimer - 03-08-2015

Westie...this is only a question because I personally have no experience in Cuba . When were you there ? My friends that just got back from Holiquin said it was great .Swimming , snorkeling wonderful . Music great no bumming no language barrier .Fish not recommended and they went to some little local bars with no problem . Now these guys have 40 years travelling to Jamaica and are out and about everyday .
Is this just 2 different opinions or have things changed ??? Just asking . I was out with them last night and put the ?'s right to them . They would go back in a heartbeat .

RE: Cuba... - macyoder - 03-08-2015

I am a non smoker and believe weed should have been legalized a long time ago. I think they kept it that way to prey on unsuspected visitors and Rastas. I have seen the shakedown, nasty. 

For me, crime itself is not the scariest issue but lack of prosecution. Weed is not the biggest problem but the openest of it. Begging is not of concern, since I do it quiet well, but the rudeness that often goes with it. My biggest issue, Jamaica legally allows grown adult to prey on children. The age of consent is 16 , SLACKNESS for a Christian place, so any trip with my daughter is out. I have seen the come on, in front of adults, too disgusting. 

I don't travel to get to know people so language barrier is not an issue. There is usually enough English in the areas I go  accommodate my vacation needs. I travel to experience the landscape/natural beauty, not to make friends, hang out or even for the food. In the last 10 years I have seen most of Jamaica at least twice, so I am always on the move. Language is a problem because I now speak with a crazy American accent ( a little British, touch of South African and Caribbean lilth) mixed with the old patois. Different accents can be worse than different languages because we assume we understand what is being said. So ,Cuba is an attractive alternative because some of us are simple burned out on Jamaica, good and bad. My next trip I will visit Kingston and the Blue Mountains so officially cover the island.

Aside, every year someone I know have enjoyed their stay in Cuba. When did you visit?

RE: Cuba... - RaStar - 03-08-2015

I have been travelling regularly to Cuba since 1982. It has changed since then (mostly not for the better).

What I found over the years is more beggars (back in 82 there were none). Canadian and European tourist and American tourist travelling through a third country were bringing down gifts to hand out willy nilly to Cubans at the resorts they were staying at or many times just to strangers on the street. This has resulted in the once proud Cuban people developing a culture of expectation and entitlemnt when it comes to their encounters with tourist. The tourist corupted the Cuban people with their well-meaning generosity. As someone once said, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".

I'll agree that you do not go to Cuba for the food, however, it is still possible to find mostly pristine beaches in Cuba that are totally undeveloped and on which you can walk for miles without seeing another soul. That is why I go. Nothing to listen to but the birds, the wind and the sound of the waves crashing up against the shore. That will all change with increased American investment, but for the moment those types of places still exist in Cuba for me to enjoy.