The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Two Million Tourists in 2014 - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Two Million Tourists in 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=100798)

Pages: 1 2 3

Two Million Tourists in 2014 - Firemon - 02-06-2015

"Jamaica welcomed over 71,000 more visitors during 2014, than in 2013.  Up 3.6%

major contributors to Jamaica’s arrival growth were increased arrivals from Europe growing by 10.7 per cent; arrivals from Canada moved up by 5.2 per cent; the United States increased by two per cent, and a 9.2 per cent increase from the Asian market."

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/latestnews/Tourist-arrivals-increased-by-3-6---in-2014

RE: Two Million Tourists in 2014 - Passion4Diving - 02-06-2015

Given that Jamaican sorely needs foreign currency, I predict that the Government will announce additional taxation to all sorts of tourist related discourses such as higher arrival and departure taxes, increase in the room tax, special taxes for water, gas and electricity for tourist accommodations, enhanced timeshare-type resorts.

There might be some opportunities to develop more reasons for tourist to travel to Jamaica, too.  For example, having medical care and medical education programs that attracts tourists which, of course, benefits Jamaica, too.  Improved travel infrastructure (road, water transport, air travel hubs).

I am concerned that Jamaica is not well planned for the drop in tourism that will likely come from the opening of tourism in Cuba for Americans.

RE: Two Million Tourists in 2014 - oldtimer - 02-06-2015

Well said Hedo . The more tourists ( with limited places to go ) mean greater chances of "local " health problems which mean "bad " experiences for travellers . The biggest problem with the health care is even by some miracle there was a hospital build who is going to come and work in them !?!?!? The best heart hospital in the world is in Havana Cuba and they draw the very best cardioligists (sp) in the world by giving them LUXURY living !!!!!!!! How can an increase in tourists that stay on their resorts help Jamaica ? Employment within maybe but not the guy on the street !!!! Jamaica is out of step with what is needed to keep visitors happy . Beggy , beggy , beggy doesn't cut it !!!!! but I can say for sure that the Guardsmen that work on the beach in front of the places like Treehouse etc MAKE A BIG !!!!!! difference when sitting there looking at nothing and wanting to be left alone !!!!!!! You shouldn't have to have them but they did work well on the West End Rd back in the day .

RE: Two Million Tourists in 2014 - Winni - 02-06-2015

I don't know OT about the Guardsmen but the Redcaps sucked.  Would shoo off Jamaicans from you even if you were the one reaching out/engaging.

In my wishes, it would be great if people eventually saw how much they could save in accomondation if they stayed in the smaller places and away from the AI's..  Not saying everyone would move out of the AI's but if it returned back to the way it used to be.

Another thing I think about is how people, in particular people on the Westend need more education on how to deal properly with tourists.  To realize that at times they may seem intimating to newbies.  The Negril Cluster and other interested parties could do a walk about to talk to the people...  Realistic? Not sure.. but worth giving a try.

RE: Two Million Tourists in 2014 - oldtimer - 02-06-2015

The Guardsmen are hired by the different resorts .They seem WAY !!!! better than the red caps .The vendors (the real vendors ) are given 1 crack at the visitors and if not wanted are told to move on IF !!!! they are wanted NO PROBLEM . If the beach bums walk up with NOTHING !!!! then it's get lost .You have some very valid points about the need for a little training . Intimination is Jamaicans worse enemy .Most tourists come from countries that don't have people yelling at them as soon as they meet them . Negril ,given the fact that it is in a 3rd world country, is anything but 3rd world economy . The uneducated and the uninformed need to get their act together .Young people have little to no interest in visiting a place that feels that they brought their girlfriends down there just for them.Even my now daughter-in-law was hit on at her wedding !!!! But if there wasn't a market they wouldn't be doing it...would they.I think that Negril was way better "back in the day " when it really was the Capital of Casual.I use to stay at Cottontree Place every year and was very pleased there .Treehouse is very different and I really enjoyed myself there .
When not staying in an AI then the "A" game comes into effect when going for food at night.I wonder which place will take the place of The Corner Bar. MiYard would be an excellent choice.

RE: Two Million Tourists in 2014 - Westenders - 02-06-2015

But not everyone who lives in the west end is involved in the tourist industry or benefits from it so why should they be educated to kiss tourists arse.

Maybe some of them come across a little intimidating because maybe they are fed up with know it all tourists with a sense of entitlement and an opinion on their way of life that they don't appreciate.
Not all tourists are like that, but I sure see many there, and on these boards.
Seriously no matter how long some people have been visiting, they may never get that, because they go with a heart full of negativity.

Jamaica is more than just a tourist destination, with limited areas that actually are, as you all know.
No tourists or tourist dollars in the parts of Hanover and Trelawney where I have family and friends.
Not all my west end family don't profit from tourist money either.
When we go there I am the only tourist in our circle. I give respect, I get respect.
Yes some people are fresh and fasty...same as in our countries...I hate that they won't stand in a line at the shop, but hey, I just do the same now. No stress.

Sadly for some, jamaica is full of jamaicans, so why go would be my question!

AIs are not my thing, but they do employ plenty people, let's not forget that. Those little boutique and home run places a lot of us favour pay the same poxy wages as the AIs. A girl we talked to on our recent stay at Rooms told us she gets paid 3700 JD per week, and she dose'nt live in Negril, has to travel for that wage.

I find it a little odd how people widely contributed to the thread recently asking for alternatives to jamaica, all of the suggestions were for countries with a similar if not poorer socio economy to jamaica. No mention of sub standard hospitals there.

Cuba....poorer than jamaica with an equally outdated infrastructure. I can't see a mass exodus there personally, I wouldn't go back. There is certainly only AIs there. There is Beggy beggy attitude there too.
We were swimming in the sea and some Cubans swam up to us asking us for clothes.
The hotel staff also asked us for clothes and hair and beauty products, which we did leave at the end of our holiday. The only reason they didn't ask for cash is because tourists spend a currency that Cubans cannot use. 
Same Cuban lotharios looking for a little holiday romance with the tourists too.
Can't see what the impact will be. Cuba is not the party capital it was before Fidel kicked the Americans out.
But it is a beautiful country, with lots of beautiful people and an amazing history and culture...just like JA imo.

OT, we have stayed many times at cotton tree in the past too. I know marie really well... come on its a dump

Five friends stayed their a few weeks ago due to a prob with their hotel . They couldn't get out off there quick enough.

RE: Two Million Tourists in 2014 - Winni - 02-06-2015

Westie - I always generalize when I speak about the Westend, when actually I don't mean much past Rick's, I mean the Westend Road.  20 years ago, from Rick's to town you would always see plenty of tourists walking the road.  Now, not so much unfortunately.  More tourists = more money brought into the Westend. 

Back then, if someone was coming on too strong, someone would come out and tell himto gwan...  cause they new that the tourists were their bread and butter.  If you don't own the building for the business you are trying to create good luck.  Rent is brutal for the business man.  and again, no tourists no money, etc...

I wasn't really speaking about Jamaicans kissing tourists ass, I would never expect them to but it is a tourist town and little education with respect to that would go a long way...

Winnie I was responding to some of the previous points collectively, I wasnt  pinpointing you.

Do you think some of you long term travellers have a perception on the west end road that isn't in touch with the changing community, and is based on fond memories of of a time long gone.
So looking purely at  reviews on the other boards, businesses like ltu, catcha, seastar, ahbees, 3 dives, canoe miyard, corner bar, xtabi, rock house,  all are recommended and frequented by many tourists daily.

Then you got smaller joints like sir Ds , sharks, ras rodys, chicken lavish, pee weeks, no limit, jus natural, sips n bites

And then the stores like wise choice and lances and miss Weiss

All of who tourists use regularly and are hailed up as good spots by tourists for tourists. Why do people think no one is spending up there.
And that bloody one love b us gets packed on a regular  basis with tourists new and old wanting  to party in the west end.

Maybe tourists not walking is just a sign of all of ours lazy times where we like to be transported rather than walk around. Or maybe the sky is falling posse on these boards are scaring people.

And like anywhere else there is a younger generation in all our familiar places, that may seem intimidating to some older ones.
Same as our countries 

Just my thoughts

RE: Two Million Tourists in 2014 - booger - 02-06-2015

The drug dealers are the issue up on the West End, not the everyday residents who call it home. Good luck walking to Wise Choice to grab some goods without getting hit up by a drug dealer. I talked to a couple who stayed at Catcha a couple of weeks ago and they limited their walking on the West End due to this exact issue. It is a problem and it needs to be addressed. 

I like the walk the other direction towards Sir D's and further. No hassle and a spot or two to stop in at to grab a drink. Less crazy drivers as well.