The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
cant go to Jam anymore..Where else?? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: cant go to Jam anymore..Where else?? (/showthread.php?tid=100781)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: cant go to Jam anymore..Where else?? - suzengrace - 01-27-2015

SHARLEEN:

Thank you for your kind words...yes, that article is about him..the 3 step sisters..his name is milton dixon...he grew up in negril from age 15 until about 5 years ago-he lived off sommerset and ras rody and his family were his kind of adoptive family in negril...I know who iston is,long time friend..but no thats not him..Milton didnt have long locks...when he moved to cockpit country..we were there and had a nice boardhome,garden,etc..then place get overrun with bad men(not to mention women moved in that were prositiutes along with their very young dawtas...that was sickening to watch and hear) our place got robbed..he thought moving back to his family land safer idea and he wanted safe place for his stuff when he come to visit me in america..I guess he never figured it was the worse decision..its all about the land, our home and all the stuff in it.. They're spinning  another way to all collborate and make it look like self defense...BS...   Just sucks i have no contacts there that know what going on..only one daughter (not involved-that i know of) I know-but i just dont trust nor want to talk with anyone from that immediate family..I tried calling the investigating office..but never get my calls returned..
Anyway,, hes gone, my place is gone and a place i called my 2nd home..I will go back some day..just not for awhile..

Thanks everyone again for your thoughts and prayers... I will be ok..im no stranger to tragedy in my life..Just never would guessed in million years that this would happen..but your kind words really do help.....

yeah, Rootswoman...i will look into Isla...i've been to tulum and loved it..i just will miss the green hiils and lt like Jam... but feeling safe and friendly vibe is nice exchange.

RE: cant go to Jam anymore..Where else?? - suzengrace - 01-27-2015

SHARLEEN...I havnt seen iston in awhile..but he had a beautiful little boardhouse in Little london..not far form beach.. its all painted in rastas colors.. and yes, he use to hang out at royal kitchen -errols place close to L & M market..

RE: cant go to Jam anymore..Where else?? - Sharleen - 01-27-2015

Again, I am really so sorry for your heartbreaking situation.  I do love Jamaica very much but also have a kind of hatred for some of the situations that go on there.  The lovely and loving Claudia being chopped to death, the great and kindly and long time Negril resident being shot to death by the police with his bag of dog food, Peachie (across from Blue Cave Castle) being shot to death, Uncle Sam in Little Bay... even the guy who owned Cococnuts in the Little Bay area gunned down dead.  The owner of the former Awee Maway Village, Ian, most of you probably know this place by another name, the place just before the Rockhouse, I think Mike rented it, I think he is dead now too.

RE: cant go to Jam anymore..Where else?? - jeannieweenie - 01-27-2015

I'm sorry for your loss. I sent you another message a bit ago via FB. 

Check out Montserrat if you can. I loved it. Low population, low crime, you can get bored easily if you're not active in nature. It's nice!

Sharleen mentioned Dominica. A sailing lady I met in Montserrat (who I'm still in touch with) LOVED Dominica. She said it was her favorite island of all the Caribbean. 

RE: cant go to Jam anymore..Where else?? - suzengrace - 01-28-2015

SHARLEEN: i know your a loooog time visitor to Jam... and i always enjoy your posts..you should write a book for sure.. when you see all these people you know who were murdered one way or another ..on such a small island..and when you figure in where you come from all the people you know in the states and those murdered,missing etc..im sure Jam come out well ahead with murders,etc ....
I mean i know a few people in the states murdered but NO where the SAME numbers as those in JAM.. i wonder why people still go?? the LURE OF all the positives overide it ??? its just business as usual ..goes with the territory..??
I;m just starting to wonder why i would ever go back (all the good things add up) when there is so much wickeness/badmindeness..etc,etc.. Maybe until you ,personally are affected??? Im not saying theres a right/wrong answer..but those, such as you been going for aloooong time and know of

such much violence to good people..why do you still go back... again, this is not a judgmental question....what would it take for you to say ..F that place.?? i guess like they say "moma dont like a quitter" but still , do any of you have boundaries to this??? I s Jam that unique in this world that another island paradise cant be found???

RE: cant go to Jam anymore..Where else?? - Schuttzie - 01-28-2015

It has been 6-7 yrs since we've been back to JA.  It was because we began to feel the unrest in the communities and a sense of desperation.  We had our your teen girls (had a couple of young men following them in Portie) and didn't want to take any more chances.  But now they are more independent and we can go by ourselves, we would like to go back one day.

RE: cant go to Jam anymore..Where else?? - Winni - 01-28-2015

I continue to go back as I have an invested interest there as I built a house.  Also, because of friends and family. 

What you are going through scares the begibbers outta me, not gonna lie.  But on the other hand, I refuse to live my life in fear.  Just met with one of my Nigerian students and she is going home in a couple of weeks for the first time in a long while.  I asked her, aren't you worried, she said told me, 'you can't be too cautious but I refuse to not go back to where I'm from'.  It seems to me that with the murders and warring going on in Nigeria, Jamaica looks ok to me.

Have things changed for me in Jamaica?  Of course, I go out at night far less, and if I do it is to a shop down the lane.  Can something happen cause maybe there is a badman there that noone is aware of?  Definately!  But again, I can't live like that..

What would it take for me to say f it?  Exactly what you are going through.  I would give it all up and go elsewhere, I think.  But I have learned from the past to never say never.

Again, my heart aches for what you are going through (((Suzen))).

RE: cant go to Jam anymore..Where else?? - rastagirl777 - 01-28-2015

If I were in Suzen's place I'd never go back there.  No question.

Like Sharleen, I know many, MANY people brutally murdered in Jamaica with no resolution - its tragic and its sad.  After Uncle Sam "dissapeared" I have not spent any time in Little Bay - I mean, what was the point?  Uncle Sam was such a huge part of my experience there.

Over the past two months I have gone by the Pastry shop and seen the devastation on Sharon's soul.  It was pretty hard to wrap my head around the fact that Colin was taken from us.

I just got back to Cali last night after 2 1/2 months there - and I fully plan on returning next winter for the same amount of time.  I am not vested there in anyway except emotionally - my community of friends who I cherish, a place that I cherish.  Suzen might have a point about hanging out with expats but...many expats over the years have been victims of violent crime as well.  Maybe I'm just lucky (touching wood) and we all have been touched with violence in our community - we go on, surviving and living and enjoying our times together in honor of those taken from us way too soon.  We are also very blessed with the people we live with and around in my neighborhood - we're a tight group that care for each other and are a group that have been living together there for many years.  Or maybe that sentiment is there just to make me "feel better".  I don't know.

Its such a tortured country - some areas more tortured than others.  Negril and Westmoreland have always been the "wild west" and edge that drew me and kept me there for the past 30 years. As the years have gone on I have learned to carry myself differently on many levels.  But tomorrow is never promised and crazy shit can fall on any of us at any time.

RE: cant go to Jam anymore..Where else?? - rootswoman - 01-28-2015

Yes, I don't think I could go back for a long long time if I were in Suzen's shoes.

RG - its understandable why you keep going back - having a group of close knit friends is a special thing that is becoming harder and harder to find - it becomes more about the people then the place after awhile - or in least 50/50  - Ill always love Ja but there are a lot of places I long to see...

Jeannie - its always nice to see you here - I was hoping you would pop into this thread - im definitely going to research Dominica

Shutzzie - we have talked about Belize as well but the crime there is reported to be even worse than Jamaica so that is a pretty big turn off for me.

This is a sad thread but I am enjoying the discussion very much.  Its always good to hear from all of you peeps.

OT - Perhaps he has a desk job.  
(or a super big Tam)

RE: cant go to Jam anymore..Where else?? - Winni - 01-28-2015

ahem Crying