The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Eating out question - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Eating out question (/showthread.php?tid=100764)

Pages: 1 2

Eating out question - kylake - 01-15-2015

I am not looking for high end eating like Catcha and Rockhouse. That said if you were going out to eat, just to get real Jamaican food and at a reasonable price where would you go?

RE: Eating out question - CardBoardBox - 01-15-2015

Berger King. I see a lot of Jamaicans eating there.

now that I've had my head handed to me, lol, I'm reluctant to mention Harmonds bakery for Beef Patties (same logic), or any jerk chicken stand (the General, on the beach road is a favorite) although the push carts tend to be a Foreign attraction.

For BREAKFAST, I have read only raves about Just Natural.

Perhaps, meeting your criteria for reasonal price, Jenny's, run by Dawn and her 10-square-feet-of-Texas, would be a good bet IMO. They do American food too.

One clue; if the prices are in US, run away.

You could ask, or watch what people on the street are buying / eating. West End, Beach Road, middle of town, see where people are getting their stryofoam containers. And before you order, watch what they order AND are paying. Nobody, it seems, brown bags peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from home.

Before Zaro moved from Vendor's Plaza to Whitehall (his home neighborhood), I used to get chicken, rice and peas because 1., it was great, and 2., in the era of dual pricing, he charged me the same as everyone else.

Real Jamaican food? I'm not into chicken back, and the fish many eat are so small with so many bones that I shy away. Coco bread and cheese is great but U can save $ if you get the (processed American) cheese from the market in a can, or the amazing, truly authentic wedge in a tied plastic baggie. J$50-80.

I used to wonder how that cheese did not need to be refrigerated. After a week I found the answer

RE: Eating out question - kylake - 01-15-2015

Thanks CBB for responding. BK LOL but you are correct plenty of locals eat there.
I will try the General I think it is up near Bar-B-Barn area correct?
Not familiar with wedge cheese you are referring to. I would like to hear more about the cheese. What exactly happens in a week:-)

I did find a couple of food shacks by the craft market near Point Village. They were really good an inexpensive. I am basically trying learn about new food places I might try on our upcoming trip.

RE: Eating out question - DAWN - 01-15-2015

[attachment=1711]

RE: Eating out question - rastagirl777 - 01-15-2015

Authentic Jamaican Food:
- Sips and Bites
- Jus Natural
- One Mile (on the beach, box lunches)

Many, many more, these are three that come to mind immediately.

RE: Eating out question - Westenders - 01-15-2015

One mile
Miss bucks
Juicy js 
And Mi yard has the best festival and sliced fish for me
You can sit or take in box food at all of them.

I have noticed and wondered do about the cheese too, just out on the counter. We don't eat cheese so haven't tried it.

Disappointing again is LTU, tried it again this time, me with hub and uncle who drinks there as it is in their back yard.
No jamaican breakfast even though it's on the menu. Asked for tin milk with our coffee as well, only to be told by the snotty waitress that they don't have either as they don't get many locals in....! 
The view is no better than many places on the west end, don't know why it gets the rave reviews other than they cater to their chosen custom base. 
Waited an hour for toast and eggs and they forgot the bacon. No tip left for the waitress! Won't be going back 

We eat a lot with family and friends, so can't get more authentic than that really...

RE: Eating out question - rootswoman - 01-15-2015

Kylake,
I have not been down in a few years but my favorite Jamaican restaurant was always Sweet Spice.  It is not the cheapest but it is not expensive like the places you referred to earlier. It is past the roundabout on the right before you get to the gas station when leaving town heading, towards Sav la Mar.  It is very good and always had really good air conditioning. BTW, they dont serve alcohol.  It is a local place and would be worth the taxi ride for a nice dinner out. (I dont eat meat but they are famous for their oxtail.)  (I love their brown stew and escovitch fish)

There was a good Jamaican place across from Point Village heading back towards Negril - I cant remember the name or the exact location but that used to be a good place.  

Not all Jamaican food, but on our last trip Dread and I ate quite a few times at Montana's which is across the street from the beach across from fun holiday resort.  

Another favorite place of mine was Juicy J's.  That was downtown but did I hear they moved?

I hear a lot of talk about Canoe - I have never eaten there - but i have seen lots of food pics from there over the years - and it sure looks good. I imagine that is mid priced range - not jamaican and not cheap but perhaps a nice break from jamaican food without breaking the bank

RE: Eating out question - saeyedoc - 01-15-2015

Sweet Spot, always locals including Taxi drivers picking up box lunches to go. Great soup place at Whistling Bird on the road side, another taxi favorite. 

RE: Eating out question - kylake - 01-15-2015

Thanks to all for taking time to reply and make recommendations. I am making a list and since we will be there for more than a week we should be able to try several new places.

RE: Eating out question - rastagirl777 - 01-15-2015

In defense of my own local watering hole (also in my "backyard") - it doesn't pretend to be authentic Jamaican.  Can't defend bad service though...I usually go there to drink and be with my friends.  And for that, its one of my favorite places Smile