The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Airport then and now - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Airport then and now (/showthread.php?tid=100719)

Airport then and now - DAWN - 12-16-2014

I can remember my first trip to Jamaica. I remember it being what resembled a 3 side pole barn. I remember being overwhelmed as it was my first out of the country with totally a "Ma Kettle goes to town" look on my face. I remember the women singing loudly and swaying their bodies in their colorful dresses.

I remember going out to the transfer area and my travel partner being summoned over to the fence. "Pa Kettle" goes to shake the friendly Jamaicans hand only to have it come back with a Baggie of white powder in it. That first trip is a story of it's own.
When leaving the airport then, there was a hill you could sit on and watch the planes come and go and get one little last but of sunshine.
Fast forward almost 30 years later. There is a real live bumping and thumping airport in Montego Bay. Restaurants of any type of food, bars, liquor stores, jewelry stores, Jamaican things and stores with anything you want or need.
I have always coming back home for more reasons than one, having to be at the airport for my departure this time I decided to treat myself to the Club Mobay. What a lovely treat!
So cool I had to wrap my sarong around, open bar, finger sandwiches, sushi, patties, pumpkin soup, salads and the most friendly employees I have ever came across. 
I have a picture of the old airport but can't seem to locate it. Remember?

RE: Airport then and now - kylake - 12-17-2014

Dawn, since we are newbies to Jamaica I cannot relate to the beginnings of the airport MBJ but when we first started traveling to Mexico they would come out to announce flights and changes in flights carrying a hand held megaphone and speaking in Spanish.
Over the years just like you have mentioned with Jamaica it got a lot better/easier for tourist/travelers expecting more.

RE: Airport then and now - Susantherese - 12-19-2014

Dawn,I remember it well and wish I had captured it!  That was back before I phones!  I remember walking down the steep flight of stairs from the plane and feeling like you got hit it in the face with a damp dishrag.  Ahhhh, the heat and humidity.  At one point I remember getting a rum punch at the airport upon arrival.  And yes, I remember the beautiful dancing ladies and the music.  Some times, I wish I could travel back in time.  Sigh......

RE: Airport then and now - CardBoardBox - 12-30-2014

Someone once posted a photo of a trailer / mobile home, saying that was the terminal in the old days. I believe it but don't know if it is true.
In 1984, and many years after, the long flight of stairs was part of the experience, just as the J$750 departure tax was payable at the airport. No $ = No departure.

And over the years, what was outside the airport became part of the building, twice. That was OK, but spending a million dollars per "sky bridge" was excessive IMO and annoyed me the Canadian firm was so quick to spend the airport fees which could only rise with time. And they have. But maybe not getting rained on isn't such a bad thing anymore.

My experience on the first trip was someone wanting to shake my hand as I entered the area for the bus. I looked down and saw a plastic baggie with green stuff in it. Since my friend flew in the year before and told me what might happen, I said to the local "I heard about you" and we both laughed.

RE: Airport then and now - Oldtimer2 - 12-31-2014

The "old " airport was quite a trip . The taxi drivers use to come and meet you on the tarmac , bags only getting a chaulk line on them to let you go. I'm sure they didn't know if you were in the country or left ???? Kingston was just the same . There were/are plans to build an airport in Mandeville but have nothing about it in several years .