The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
What is the best concert you have been to? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: What is the best concert you have been to? (/showthread.php?tid=100718)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: What is the best concert you have been to? - rastagirl777 - 12-17-2014

Good topic!
For me, ain't no thing like a Grateful Dead show but hitting the tops would include the Clash at Bonds in New York, Bob Dylan at the Warfield Theater in San Francisco, Toots at Negril Escape with special guest Warren Haynes and Ratdog on the beach in Negril.

RE: What is the best concert you have been to? - daniel - 12-17-2014

Warren Haynes  definitely put on a show for the ages that night. Was that Mule ? The set list and the band were incredible in any case .

Another was Dylan / Rolling Thunder Review...  Joan Baez  , Roger Mcguinn , Ramblin Jack Elliot .

RE: What is the best concert you have been to? - Kandm - 12-17-2014

I agree with RG77, nothing like a Dead show-with one of my favorites being JFK in Philly 7/7/89..a birthday show for me with a great Scarlet/Fire.

Recently it would be seeing both Billy Joel and the Zac Brown Band at Fenway Park this past summer

RE: What is the best concert you have been to? - troublemaker_420 - 12-17-2014

Stephen Marley and Spragga Benz @ the Aggie in Ft Collins, Co.  Thats as close as I'll ever get to seeing Bob, and was an awesome experience in and of itself

RE: What is the best concert you have been to? - booger - 12-17-2014

Rasta, 
Do you have the dates that Warren Haynes is playing in Jan? I would love to see his show and will be there towards the end of the month. Thanks

One of my favorite covers ever is Warren doing Wasted Time.

RE: What is the best concert you have been to? - Striper - 12-17-2014

That is sweet indeed,booger..

RE: What is the best concert you have been to? - Tim - 12-17-2014

I can't pick a favorite but have seen many memorable concerts, I guess my taste is a bit heavier than most...
Van Halen in 1984, last tour before David Lee Roth quit, Def Leppard in 1982, Kiss after they took off make up then twice after they put it back on, AC/DC in 1986 and again about 10 years ago, Motley Crew Shout at the Devil tour, Metallica twice, Kid Rock, and more I can't think of.
One of the best outdoor concerts I have been to was at the park behind the Bessborough hotel in Saskatoon, The Tragically Hip, probably 20 years ago at least. Saw a couple great shows recently at the tiny Odeon theater in Saskatoon. In the spring saw 54-40 then just a few week ago the Headstones rocked the house.
Really, the one concert I never saw, too young, was Led Zeppelin, although I did go see Robert Plant. Never really got into the Reggae music until about 15 years ago. We will usually try to see some live music when we are in Jamaica.

RE: What is the best concert you have been to? - Blues Pirate - 12-18-2014

I saw Led Zeppelin in Winterpeg in the summer of '70. Chilliwack opened for them and IMHO were better than Led Zeppelin. Saw Van Halen with Sammy and was blown away by Eddie's playing. Better sounding live than on CD. I've seen many blues greats too but unfortunately never got to see the great SRV before he was killed. Best jazz was Pat Metheny. But the best concerts are in my previous post.

RE: What is the best concert you have been to? - rastagirl777 - 12-18-2014

Booger - Government Mule is doing their 6th Annual "Island Exodus" at Grand Lido January 14-18.
http://www.islandexodus.com/
Its a "closed show" meaning you need to buy the "package" - stay at the resort, see the show type of deal.

Or...you can hire a boat and see it from the bay.  I saw a couple of people do that when Ratdog did their thing there for a couple of years.

My friend is coming down for it - staying with us the first 5 days.  Anders Osborne played at his wedding so I'm hoping he's got a bit of "juice" to get us into at least one show.  I saw Mule play there a couple of years ago when my friend Mark (Karan - of Ratdog) sat in with him.  That was the same year Warren sat in with Toots.

A show I wish I could be there for would be Dark Star Orchestra - they bring tons of guests with them, one of whom is David Nelson.  Unfortunately, that show is in March and I'm in the midst of one of my heaviest work seasons.

RE: What is the best concert you have been to? - rootswoman - 12-18-2014

Wow - collectively we are quite a group!!!

(I have told this story before - but its one of my favorite so I will tell it again)

I do have an undisputed # 1 -
Bob Marley and the Wailers 6/18/1978 - The Music Inn, Lenox Mass.

I saw Bob at the Roxy in LA in May of 1976 and it was great but it was a large venue and we were stuck in our seats - I was 17 years old.  I was there with my sister and some friends who I really liked from my high school in Santa Monica. (one happened to be the Paul Newman's daughter - Nell, she was a great girl who went on to head up Newman's Organics - she was very down to earth and lots of fun)

Fast forward two years later - New England - summertime in beautiful Western Massachusetts.  I was living on Martha's Vineyard (oh those were the days....)  A group of us traveled up to Lenox, Mass to see Bob.  As we were driving into the show I started thinking about my last experience seeing Bob and what a great show it was - and how much I liked the people I went to it with.

We lined up at the gate to collect our tickets and who do I find myself standing next to - Nell, her sister Lissy and another school friend Andrea.  The first thing Nell said was "I was just thinking about you"!  How strange - I had been doing the same thing.

We were thrilled to be reunited and couldn't help but feel the magic that seemed to follow Bob.  I left my group at their picnic spot on the lush green lawn of the Music Inn and worked our way to the front of the crowd.  It was not very hard with my drop dead gorgeous friends.  Andrea was modeling for Italian Vogue at the time and you can imagine Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward produced some beautiful children.  The crowd seemed to part and let us right up to the stage.  Our hands were on the edge.

It was one week before my 21st birthday.  I was wearing a t-shirt that was given to me by a very dear friend.  (lucky for me it was getting too small for him) It was Jimmy Cliffs personal t-shirt with his insignia a big star.  It was thrown out to the crowd during a JC's concert in NY and my friend happened to catch it.  It was my lucky shirt. (I still have it - it is worn so thin you can see right through it)  I remember I was wearing those rainbow suspenders - lol - (remember Robin Williams as Mork)?  

The show was magic from start to finish - i guess its how many people feel in church - I am not a church goer - it was the most "spiritual" thing I have ever experience.   

The highlight of the day (an perhaps my entire life - lol) was when Bob pointed straight at my star t - shirt with a smile and nod of recognition.  He made eye contact with ME and went back to performing.  My life was complete!  lol lol

I will never top that - nor do I try.

# 2 was Peter Tosh in 1976 on his "Legalize it" tour in a beautiful historic theater at Harvard in Cambridge with the most incredible acoustics - it looked more like a church.  (and felt like it too, it was so good) There was a bad storm and there was a very small turn out.  At the end of the show the band threw  "Legalize it" rolling papers (with a picture of the album cover) into the crowd- but there was no crowd - so my friends and I climbed over the church pews and filled all of our pockets with those papers.  I sure wish I kept just one pack! 

#3  Neville Brothers in an ancient open air amphitheater in Greece.  We worked our way to the front in time to see Brother Aaron Neville sing Amazing Grace - another trip to church.

Lastly #4  - I cant leave this one out.   I went to see Stephan Marley at The House of Blues in Hollywood.  One after another he was joined by friends and family - by the end of the night we had on stage Stephan, Ziggy, Damien and Julian Marley. And if that wasn't enough of a blessing up came Mos Def, Ben Harper and (hold onto your hats) Stevie Wonder!   (I can die happy without ever seeing another show)