The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
November 2014- Some ramblings - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: Trip Report Archive (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Thread: November 2014- Some ramblings (/showthread.php?tid=100709)

Pages: 1 2 3

November 2014- Some ramblings - DAWN - 12-12-2014

I tried to go to sleep early calming myself with sweet memories of previous trips. They were too good to just put me to sleep so I got back up and jotted down some notes. I ended up getting only 3 hours of sleep and it took some doings to get the cobwebs out.
The ride and check in was completely painless. Roomate was able to help me pull my bags right up to the the ticket counter. This is the second trip with my ebags and I still just love them. At only 4lbs a piece, I was able to put 46 pounds of much needed stuff in each. :0)
Seriously, everyone I met had a smile on their face or a kind greeting. One fellow traveler asked me if I didn't know it was winter. I explained that this was my first leg and I was heading for the sunny Caribean. Southwest has open seating and it was the first I had ever seen this. Pretty darn slick. 
We took off late..taxied forever and then stopped for deicing and taxied forever again. I was able to doze off despite the crying baby, not being able to find a comfy position, and the hum of take off. I came too just as the flight attendant was coming around with juice. It was perfect timing as just as I looked out my window there was an orange silver on the horizon. I do believe this was the first sunrise I have ever experience in air. It was spectacular.!
There is a Dad with about a 5 year old boy sitting across from me. I watched his eyes when we first started moving back put of the gate. It was sweet, The Dad has hooked him up an iPad with games and headphones. He was so polite to the flight attendant and seemed to yell thank you to her for the juice. Of course having the headphones on kicked it up a knotch.
Customs
3rd degree
Jahb
Melting-unthaw
Beg a call no tip cameras
Bigga 
Xox
Linked up with my driver friend Diego who carried me to town...a brief stop at Lena's..no guests but ran into Ossie and Kadine..a brief stop at Roger and Paulette's for a soda and change money..nice spot..they are hoping to add music and stuff starting Christmas. I haven't been to Jamica off season in a long while and let me tell you, it slow. Still most people I ran Into are happy and hopeful.
I stayed in Orange Bay last night but my mission today was to find something 
On the West End in Negril. We took a drive up to Colletes Rum bar and true she say I was an early bird.. I told her I didn't come to drink rum today but to say hello! She laughed. Told her about my mission and she road with Diego and I up Tank Hill. That up top of red ground. Way up!!! Beautiful and an even more beautiful house with all the amenities. Seriously sweet spot if I wasn't alone and had a vehicle. We dropped her back and continued our mission.
After a quick chicken box lunch, we headed up to Pee Wee lane to check on a place I had previously talked to. It was close to a place I have stayed at in the past. So I swung I to say hello to Debbie at Moonlight. There was a patio party going on and they said I showed up just In Time. Everyone's plate was full of colorful bits! I said no thanks as I just ate but mi tell you, it looked good! 
I soon went to meet with where I had hoped to stay and we worked out a deal. So Diego and I headed to Orange Bay to get my things. I was only there and barely unpacked anything and it was still a job to get it all put back together. 
We went to the Green Grocery store and I got stuff to fill my larder. I spotted one of my little friend coming from school in the road and stopped to give him a big hug. He had two girls with him..i asked if they were his girlfriends...they quickly said NO! A quick stop at Canoe for 2 for 1 rum punch and off to my new digs. I'm on second floor with a view of the yard, bar, grocery store and parking lot, road and even a stretch of the sea from my porch. I have everything I need right here too! There are two parrots in the yard..not so much talking like my old girl Tilly, but them mimic pretty well.
As I sit here and type on my veranda a group of parrots just flew over..
Chicken Gunya is here and clucking! Even a yard mate in Orange Bay had it, my new hostess had it last week and only sick one day and the rash now. The checkout lady at the pharmacy where I got some calamine said she had it last week too. "It wicked". My driver say he knew it was in Negril because of the amount of people he carries in his taxi have it. There is much talk that it isn't just from Mosquitos.. I am keeping ears open.
Xox
It was a brilliant sunset even from the second row seat..my veranda. The road is busy, I hear lots of chat around the yard. I don't catch all of it, but enough to make me feel at home. There has been a car going by with big speakers on top, advertising the Retro Show at Chances on Saturday night. Would love to try but I am heading to a birthday party in Froome that day. Not much for big crowds back home and I am a little anxious about this thing but as always, I will deal with it when it comes.
I hear dominoes clicking, dogs barking, men talking loud, a bike whizzing, earlier thunder way off in the distance that never amounted to nothing, a sweet music playing in the front, a taxi honk and mi alright!
On our way back from OB on Norman Manley Blvd, we came on an accident. A bike licked and went under a van. Spare tire was hit off and bike was in pretzel shape. There was a crowd starting and as we went by we spotted the biker sitting off the road with a group of people around him. There were two men sitting up from the site that I heard say.."him lucky him wear him helmet as he would be dead to Rass". My vibe took a dip until I got to the round a bout and there was just so much to take in, that dark spot passed. 
Kids were coming off school as we came up the west end road, two or three hopping on a bike catching their bike taxi ride home. The Green Store was just a clean fresh experience. Everything you need, want and more under one big spacious roof! 
Spent the evening on the porch with just some tuna, cheese and crackers for dinner. I like my new home!

RE: November 2014- Some ramblings - DAWN - 12-12-2014

[attachment=1585]

[attachment=1586]
Only seem to be able to post one at a time.

[attachment=1587]Can see a whole heap from my porch..Mamma taking the kids to catch a ride to school.

RE: November 2014- Some ramblings - Firemon - 12-13-2014

(12-12-2014, 10:09 AM)DAWN Wrote:  I hear dominoes clicking, dogs barking, men talking loud, a bike whizzing, earlier thunder way off in the distance that never amounted to nothing, a sweet music playing in the front, a taxi honk and mi alright!

If I close my eyes I'm right there with ya.  Beautiful descriptive writing. 

MORE please.

RE: November 2014- Some ramblings - DAWN - 12-14-2014

Nothing like sitting on the porch and watching the road. In Orange Bay, it was people getting in and out if taxis heading to or home from work. People looking up and exchanging a greeting. Some even pausing for a short chat or to catch up with the latest. Parents with their crisp uniformed Pitney in hand walking down to the road for taxi to school.
One of my house mates in OB was a 87 yr old man. I will really miss sitting and talking with him as I have moved to the west end. Listening to stories of the old time Jamaica. He told me that he worked and help cut the road to Negril in 1959. I have been going to Jamaica since 1984 and let me tell you, I could not even imagine pure bush. He explained that one of the two political parties wanted it built and the other party said it was a waste of money, and he laughed.
Xoxox
One brave or hungry pigeon landed on the roof in front of me when I was having my coffee. Soon there were a bunch of them flying about. I hear a loud squawk and then spot a green parrot In The tree across..he continued to squawk and carryon. Soon those pigeon took off in a hurry but the parrot is still squawking. Turns out there were two green parrots.
Ran over the the grocery store to get some breakfast fixings and I was excitedly greeted with big smiles from the guys sitting out front. Then a guy spots me coming in The door and says man, I love your hips and I want to marry you..you shaped like a Jamaican girl. Who knew big hips were a reason to marry! Lol

Next door there is a little yard I can view from my side door. There is a little chicken coop. I came out my side door to throw my leftover toast to the pooch. No pooch but a lady sitting cleaning fish. I joked she cleaning her dinner cuz the chicken not ready yet. She say yes fish for dinner cuz fi true the chickens are just babies.
Tony the chicken guy about front is setting up..chopping and seasoning the chicken..conch soup on the menu today too! I always get one big smile when he catches me watching.
Xoxox
Slow easy morning had an early lunch with some new friends at Pee Wees.
Debbie had a group going out in the Lucky Strike boat and invited me along. Just as I was heading to town meet at the peer, her crew past me and picked me up. As Debbie said it's all about timing. The boat was perfect and staffed with some great people. It started to rain but we all rolled with it. A rainbow appeared as we pulled away from the dock. We went up past the light house able to see all the cliff places from seaside. We backed into the cove at Ricks and watched them jump in the sea! Not mi! We cruise up the beach line and back up again.. Just in time for sunset and my first ever dolphin sighting! Amazing!!The music was pumping with some sweet tunes, the crowd was rocking and vibes were nice nice! 

I was a little cool but knew I had a hot shower and a big bowl of soup from tony waiting for me at home. Dined alone on the porch watching the road move and it was an early night.
I woke early but decided to lay back down. My cousin and her friend came in yesterday and I was going to head to the beach early and spend some time. I got a text from my next friend and the plan has changed, I am heading to sav la mar with her to have her hair done. Road trip!
Xoxo
Caught a taxi to the bus park and met my two friends and off we were to sav la mar. It was about 1/2 hour drive and lots to see. We went to a shop on second floor of a mall like thing, that was Next to a pool hall. There were stations just like home. My ja friend was getting her hair done for her Birthday party tonight. I decided on a pedi to get rid of my deet melted polish toes. A few family members stopped to visit. We were treated to a sky juice with ginger..Yumm syrup over shaved ice. It really was good. A swing by KFC to get two nieces and off to Frome to check in the party preparation. Met lots of friends and family but didn't retain half of the names. One cousin was down with chickengunya but it wasn't going to stop her from going to the bday party.
Back to Sav la mar to get my tourist friends hair cut at the barber shop. Lots of barbers but only one that Roxan knows able to cut white hair. He did it a different way but the end result worked. Kids and Men getting shaved, trimmed and buzzed. R tried to talk me into a shave with a design on the side..mi say no!
Roxan's brother carried Friend and I back to Negril for a little rest before the party later. I laid down even thou the music was pumping. I came out to the porch and looked over the railing. No Limit had a full house. The One love bus trip was stopped. They weren't here long and when they left I hear one of the parrots in the yard yell "ma",
I did catch a rest but not a nap. Made a pot of coffee with some rum cream as I get ready. And the peanut man goes by.

RE: November 2014- Some ramblings - Kandm - 12-16-2014

Love your writing style Dawn. Thanks for taking the time to report and please keep it coming!

RE: November 2014- Some ramblings - DAWN - 12-16-2014

Thanks for reading and commenting.

The Party

I was picked up by a bus full of friends from home and friends from Jamaica. We met up with another car of friends and off to Froome. Betsy and I had met some of Roxan's family on our day trip to Frome so it was so nice to bump into them at the party. Knowing faces in the big crowd was cool. The Barber was even there. Couple of older gentlemen were on me like white on rice. They were Trying to get the bartenders attention to "buy" me a drink..sit down mon...drinks are free!

There was a covered area away from the party hall where they were doing the cooking over wood fire. There was chicken foot soup and mannish water. I was standing with lots of Jamaicans watching the chefs at work and was asked if I wanted some soup, I said no mon mi alright. One of the Jamaica girls next to me jumped and said to her friends...she frighten me, I thought is it was one jamaican woman dat chat so. Lol

There was so much good food and I made it a point to try a bit of everything. Ladies and girls were dressed to the nines and the men and boys dapper and smelling sweet. The music was flowing and it went from one empty hall to a hall full up! The guest of honor, Roxan arrived looking like a real live princess! 
It was a great evening at a party I was a little anxious to attend..but I am seriously glad I went. I reached home about 230 am and was going to go up and mix a next drink and go back down and hang with Tony and the boys out front..once up, I made an executive decision to not try the steps again. 
I had plans for Diego to pick me up at 9 and head to catch my cousin and friend at SeaWind..I woke at 630 and just knew I needed more sleep.. I text him to make it ten. We headed to the beach for a brief stop at Nova Scotia. This old man tiled me to go to the second door. When I came out he was begging for a tip..mi Rass! 

RE: November 2014- Some ramblings - rootswoman - 12-18-2014

I am right there with you enjoying every moment of of your trip Dawn.
I have always loved your writing style - keep up the good work!

RE: November 2014- Some ramblings - Winni - 12-19-2014

DAWN - can't believe I didn't see you once, not even on the road.  That night we headed to Different Strokes, and what a night!  We had a fantastic time at Different Strokes and can't wait till March to do it again!  The music is retro 60, 70 and 80's, which is what I love.  We danced all night.....