The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Chickengunya - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Chickengunya (/showthread.php?tid=100699)

Pages: 1 2 3

Chickengunya - DAWN - 12-07-2014

Chickengunya

I just returned for two action packed weeks in Negril. I had read up on it before I left and was more than just a little anxious. I carried Deet, which I have never used before only to have it burn my skin, give me a rash and melt my toenail polish. I didn't used after that first time. In the morning, after a shower or before bed, I would lube up with coconut oil and spray my OFF on. At night adding a little tea tree oil to the coconut oil.
When I first got there, I was asking around about it and didn't seem so prevalent although a young house mate had it. My taxi driver piped up and said there is a lot more case as he sees it in the workers that he carries. Talk in my first yard was that it wasn't just carried by Mosquitos. The old timer said that it has traveled across the Caribean. I heard that echoed quite few times during my stay. 
By the time I left, every yard I visited someone has had or had the "chickv". You could see it in their eyes, totally wiped out and the way the moved. Most were down only a day or two but talked about the leftover bones pain and muscle weakness. It wasn't just old, young, big or small. It was all of them.
I carried Tylenol and shared wherever I could, I drank moringa tea and ate three of the seeds a day and still am now that I'm home. I heard some thing about papaya leaves but didn't try that. I'm home now and hope I made it here without the virus. Things ache a bit but the road is hard in a body too.

RE: Chickengunya - Firemon - 12-07-2014

Not being current with the latest mosquito borne illnesses I thought for sure you were posting a new recipe. 

Did you get in on the dance craze too?

RE: Chickengunya - Likkle Red - 12-07-2014

They are spraying on the beach road almost everyday but I doubt that they are spraying so faithfully in other areas.  Gotta keep the tourists safe.  Did hear that they have spayed the west end but not as regular as beach road.  Of course my area of Orange Bay hasn't been sprayed to my knowledge.

RE: Chickengunya - rootswoman - 12-07-2014

Great to know you made it back in one piece.  I am going to assume you are virus free and those aches and pains are normal ones. 

Admittedly, I was worried for you (and JahBailey) 

Drink tons of water, get some rest and post some pictures here when you have time - (a trip report would be lovely - i did follow your trip on FB - perhaps you can cut , paste and compile some of your nice little stories here.  I have always loved your writing style. 

RE: Chickengunya - rastagirl777 - 12-08-2014

The last time my end of the West End was fogged was before Thanksgiving.

Even so, I have to say the mosquitoes have not been too bad.  For the past week its been dry, cool and breezy which tends to keep them down.

Still - I'm making good use of the wall of repellant.  Also, I think it all sounds a lot worse when you are not here - while a few new cases are popping up I think this thing might have peaked and is on the decline.  That's my hope at least...but I'm still taking precautions.

RE: Chickengunya - JonTom - 12-16-2014

According to petchary's blog, a poll released on Monday showed 49% of respondents still do not believe chickV is spread by mosquitoes.

When I was on island in Sept. it was both amusing and scary-as-hell that people didn't believe mosquitoes could spread it. But this is December. If the education efforts don't start working better soon, I fear chickV will be there for a long, long time.

http://petchary.wordpress.com/

btw, someone on here led me to petchary long time ago. If I could remember who, I'd give attribution.

RE: Chickengunya - Blues Pirate - 12-16-2014

Will not the threat of getting chickv disappear in Jan/Feb, or at least diminish significantly, with the onset of the dry season?

RE: Chickengunya - rootswoman - 12-16-2014

"According to a poll released today, 87 per cent of Jamaicans have reported that their family has been affected by “chik v” – 38 per cent severely affected. Also alarmingly, 49 per cent said they did not believe the virus was transmitted by mosquitoes, which means that the public education campaign fell down badly."

I would like to know what sort of public campaign was put forth.
I personally am not surprised that the public doesn't believe where the virus comes from.  
My cynical self assumes there has been a lot of down play and spin doctoring regarding this virus.
I am not there, so I don't really know, but between the general lack of trust and withholding of information, I imagine they have their reasons.  (I would love to be proved wrong ) 

I believe that if it was here in the states , it would be all that people are talking about. It would dominate every news story.  We would all be sick of the talk and some of us would be wondering why other seemingly more important news stories were being glossed over.
I also imagine our tourism numbers would drop significantly.  

RE: Chickengunya - oldtimer - 12-16-2014

Most think it was "sent in " on that plane that crashed down by PA.

RE: Chickengunya - rootswoman - 12-16-2014

OT - Now that is funny!

BP - we can only hope - but i cant help but think that it is never that dry in Jamaica ....