The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Voter apathy - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Voter apathy (/showthread.php?tid=100637)

Pages: 1 2

Voter apathy - kylake - 11-05-2014

Historically people in this country have fought and died for the right to vote. Politicians and many constituents say we want democracy in other countries. Foreign countries where people when they get a chance stand in line to vote knowing they can be shot for doing so, but they still stand in line and vote.

In this country (US) voter apathy and low turnout is unbelievable. It is your duty as a citizen to vote. I know some voter registration laws have changed to make voting for some harder but that is no excuse. If you did not vote yesterday or in early voting please denounce your citizenship and move somewhere else.

Rant over

RE: Voter apathy - Papa Georgie - 11-05-2014

It is my understanding that in Australia, if you don't vote, you pay a fine.
I'd vote for that.

RE: Voter apathy - Bob and Pat - 11-05-2014

Maybe if there were some "decent" candidates running for public office, voter turnout would be on the increase.

BTW, we voted ~

RE: Voter apathy - kylake - 11-05-2014

Papa Georgie, you are correct. I believe the fine is $25 and that would also go for that if proposed (but it will not be). It would get many lazy citizens out to vote and it would also be money that could be used for something good if they a citizen did not vote.

RE: Voter apathy - MoFromMonroe - 11-05-2014

Just heard that 2/3 of registered voters did NOT vote. That is very very sad.

RE: Voter apathy - kylake - 11-05-2014

Mo you are correct from what I have heard and read.

Here in TN we had an amendment vote on 4 amendments to our constitution that has been working for about 200 years. I won't mention the specifics but one of the amendments put TN back to year 1950 and the others were also bad choices by the majority that did vote (IMHO). If more than 2/3 had voted it might have been different.
All elections are important and people don't get off there lazy a$$ and vote.....what a shame.

RE: Voter apathy - MoFromMonroe - 11-06-2014

Have to agree Kylake. No room to complain if you don't vote. It is our duty!

RE: Voter apathy - Papa Georgie - 11-06-2014

The late Adalai Stevenson, losing candidate in the 1952 and 1956 U.S. Presidential elections, wrote:

"Democracy is a device that ensures that we shall be governed no better than we deserve. Whose fault is it? ... It is the fault of you the people. Your public servants serve you right; indeed, often they serve you better than your apathy and indifference deserve."

Maybe he was bitter, but he did have a point.

RE: Voter apathy - skyjuice - 11-07-2014

I met my husband voting, true story. Always vote

RE: Voter apathy - Allan - 11-08-2014

Mo, I agree. If you don't vote, you can't complain. Kylake, I believe voters feel politicians are being controlled by big money and their lobbyists, and our votes don't make a difference. I think we need to educate ourselves about the candidates and vote for the one that is better by however slight a margin. That would be the incentive for politicians to be better. We need to be wise to 'pie in the sky' promises at election time that are not delivered.