The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Advice please - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Advice please (/showthread.php?tid=100604)

Advice please - Raine - 10-13-2014

My Mom has decided to go to Jamaica for ten days, I cannot accompany her I have school and also am not sure that I would go even if no school. My concern is chic-V. What are the chances of her contacting chic-V I have read about it and I am scared for her...we only have each other since my Dad died in an accident, Mom thinks am worrying needlessly as its not something like ebola and she will take precaution I am scared outofmyself. Mom is Jamaican and has family members in Jamaica who she says if she is ill she can call while she is in Jamaica...get real Mom. Her family when we used to go down would come to the hotel and beg the toothpaste that's left on the toothbrush and ask what we brought for them. The ones here in Canada used to come around when Dad was alive for a handout and to borrow, now that he is dead you see none of them. My Dad family live in Saskachewan and even though they do call and came to his funeral not in a position to help if something happen to Mom before I finish school. Does anyone know how serious chic-v is and how rampant it is in Jamaica. Can someone die from chic-v I am really worried and scared. I do realize she needs a break working three jobs I have a parttime job but it does not pay much. Wondering if anyone reading here that lives in Jamaica can tell me the real deal as the Jamaica newspaper have conflicting information. Thank you so much Sad

RE: Advice please - brihinds - 10-13-2014

Try not to worry about Your Mom's well deserved vacation and Chic-V. I truly believe she will be fine. Take comfort in knowing that the Good Lord and Your Father are guiding her.

I believe there was a thread on this not long ago and I have not heard of anyone in Negril dying from this. It is very sweet of You to be so concerned. Good thoughts and Prayers will see Her through.

RE: Advice please - rastagirl777 - 10-13-2014

From what I hear, its different than Dengue in that it does not kill you - but you'll be pretty sick and the side effects over the years can be fairly terrible.

Tell Mom to make sure she uses repellant during the day (day biting mosquitos are the culprit) and to steer clear of standing water. She should be fine. I'm sure the foggers have been out in full force (yuk!).

Try not to worry - its not her first rodeo Smile

RE: Advice please - Schuttzie - 10-14-2014

Rastagirl, I hadn't heard that about daytime bug bites. My husband always gets the most bites at night when we are sleeping.

RE: Advice please - Westenders - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 05:24 AM)Schuttzie Wrote:  Rastagirl, I hadn't heard that about daytime bug bites. My husband always gets the most bites at night when we are sleeping.

I thought dengue was from the day biting bugs not chick v, but I could be wrong as there is quite a lot of conflicting info on the net.

I have also read most people who have contracted it are in the south of the island, not sure which part your mum is visiting Raine.
It does seem to hit you with bad flu like symptoms , and the reports I have read all say it is not a fatal infection, thankfully.

I'm sure your mum will be fine, especially with all the advice you have sought for her.

RE: Advice please - rootswoman - 10-14-2014

Oh (((((((((Raine))))))))))

You poor sweet girl. I can understand your fear and I am glad you reached out to us.
Its going to be OK.

If you want too, buy her some strong mosquito repellent (deep woods off - for example, if anyone else knows a better type please join in here)
If i were you, I would make it into a present with a card asking her to promise to put it on every day and to think of you when she does it. Tell her you are afraid to loose her and ask her to promise to use it whether she sees mosquitoes or not.

I might also be inclined to send her with a mosquito net if you can find one you can afford that wouldn't take up too much room. This might be overkill, but if it helps ease your worries you might consider it. This all depends where she is staying of course. I know its something i have carried down and have been glad that I did.

Once again, she will be OK. You just have to go on faith.
I am a worry wart and have lost a lot of people so I can really understand you . I don't have a lot of faith. My significant other travels a great deal for work, and I worry all of the time for his safety , especially when he is traveling alone. Other may think i am looking for things to worry about, but like you, I have had too many losses and my concern are very real for me as I know they are for you.

I guess we need to learn to have faith but that is a lot easier said than done!

RE: Advice please - kaycee - 10-14-2014

Advise her to buy some repellant, maybe a tube of antihistamine cream and if she goes out at night be sure she covers up.

RE: Advice please - Raine - 10-14-2014

Oh thank you everyone, it means so much to me. rootswoman we have bought insect repellant but thaxnks for the mosquito net information will try and get that this weekend. we already have different type of mosquito repellant like deeth will definitely get some antihistament.

Westenders she is going to Ochi Rios.

Thanks again for the info everyone I feel somewhat better I printed off and showed to my Mom. She only uses internet for her email, she wanted to know who you guys are and to say thanks....she is still hesitant about posting on sites. dwl ((((((jamericans)))))) You rock

RE: Advice please - Angel - 10-15-2014

Raine2 tell your Mom to have a wonderful time and you will be home when she gets back. I hope she does use her bug spray. She should be happy you care about her. A lot of children don't care about their parents. You have to give yourself credit for doing what you do. So Raines Mom have a great safe trip!