The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Negril construction contracts - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Negril construction contracts (/showthread.php?tid=100600)

Negril construction contracts - JonTom - 10-11-2014

An article on sort "business as usual" government contracts for sidewalks in Negril.

But at least the Negril Resort Board is (trying to ) make a stink about it.

"It is a Jamaican thing where you treat people as idiots..."

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20141011/western/western1.html

It says the sidewalk is planned "from the town square to the Negril aerodrome" (also note - project to be completed 1st quarter of 2014, which, last I checked was passed some time ago - shocker!!!).

I've seen the sidewalk but not noted where it currently ends. Anyone know?

RE: Negril construction contracts - rastagirl777 - 10-11-2014

Not sure if you were "around" when they were working on the highway from Montego Bay to Negril - for five years. Start and stop, start and stop and in the interim they created the wildest ride in the Western Hemisphere.

Money would come in and dissapear. Partnering countries would go all in and then mysteriously back out.

There are just certain things that neither surprise nor dissapoint me about Jamaican and how "tings run". Its just a given. I remember when I returned from my first trip there in '83 I "learned" how dangerous a place it was, how frought with corruption it was - and still I returned to what was then the third most corrupt country in the world. Knowing this going forward things like the sidewalk project, unsolved murders or even random business closings at "odd" times of the year do not phase me in the least. It is what it is. Remember the old saying "the more things change, the more they stay the same"? I think this sentiment applies well in Jamaica - despite all the changes I've seen in the past 30 years things are essentially the same in a "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" kind of way. Its part of the reason why I do not choose to live there full time...I see the frustrations as well as the rewards.

RE: Negril construction contracts - 2nutz4travel - 10-11-2014

(10-11-2014, 07:53 AM)JonTom Wrote:  I've seen the sidewalk but not noted where it currently ends. Anyone know?

When we were there in April it ended at the Grand Pineapple and I'm pretty sure nothing has been done since...

RE: Negril construction contracts - rastagirl777 - 10-11-2014

I just re-read my post. Please do not misunderstand - unsolved murders not only phase me but plague me as some of those murders were done to personal friends of mine. What I meant to say, in that regard at least, is that I know what the runnings are there with stuff like that, I know I can't do anything about it except pray that those victims get justice if not in the courts then in the Universe.