The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
No Conch - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: No Conch (/showthread.php?tid=100588)

No Conch - rastagirl777 - 10-02-2014

According to the Jamaican Environmental Trust conch will not be available (i.e., fished or served) from September 1, 2014 - February 28, 2015.

According to the article, they are doing the same thing they do with lobster; they are allowing declared conch in restaurant's freezers to be sold until September 21.

I was shocked to learn that Conch season is normally closed until December 31st! Conch is one of my go-to ingredients for an inexpensive and delicious meal - I prepare it many times while we are in Negril, its not available at all in California.

I was bummed to find out that for most of my stays each year, I've been preparing and eating "illegal" conch, according to an article posted on Facebook.

Aside from impacting my own kitchen - I will miss eating my conch burger at Xtabi.

This is what happens when stuff is over-fished. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an extended closed season on lobster next.

RE: No Conch - Likkle Red - 10-03-2014

I too will miss the conch burgers at Xtabi. With this said I will not miss how they get the poor conch to leave their shell...by slamming the shell against the sand repeatedly until it gives up the fight and its home!

RE: No Conch - kylake - 10-03-2014

Myself I think a size limit based on the length or berth of the shell would be a better means of controlling the harvest/population and allowing some maturity/growth. Many of the shell piles I have see are of rather small conch.
BTW, I do like conch.

RE: No Conch - wendy - 10-03-2014

Gosh, thats high season time ..... no soup for you ( LOVE Juniors conch soup )

RE: No Conch - oldtimer - 10-03-2014

2 conch stories here. 1 . The last time I was in Jamaica the "conch soup guy " got flatten right in front of Burger King . What a mess . 2. I was out on a conch boat 125 mile off shore past the Pedro Banks and the water was 40 ft deep and these guys were diving NO TANKS !!!!!!! for about 3-4 minutes . WOW !!! is all I can say .

RE: No Conch - kylake - 10-03-2014

OT, there was a guy on Isla Mujeres named Julio that would free dive 40 ft and deeper with a spear gun to take fish. He was 60 years old when I met him............unbelievable for sure.
They do though, in my opinion, need some kind of slot limit in Jamaica for the conch. Not sure what the breeding/spawn season is for conch, so maybe the closing of season biologically is better? That said you just cannot keep taking the offspring (small conch).

RE: No Conch - rastagirl777 - 10-05-2014

Free Diving - and a two-hand limit - that's the way its done in California for Abalone.

These days there's very little commercial Abalone fishing but lots of sport. My neighbors were big divers there for a while and we'd be the recipient of their limit overages Smile