The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
So! - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: So! (/showthread.php?tid=100580)

Pages: 1 2

So! - Westenders - 09-24-2014

So I thought I'd be a little light headed today and Trip Advisorish lol...

As we didn't go over to JA this month as planned because of all the personal stuff we have been dealing with, thought I'd start preparing for our visit in December..

Got the cases out on the spare bed, and started the holiday shopping again, although we had already got loads, I don't think you can ever have too much to go away.
I am a serious over packer, and we always buy excess luggage weight and still have to pay more at the airport!!

Do any of you guys have the same problem, and how far in advance do you start preparing and packing?

RE: So! - oldtimer - 09-25-2014

Shit...the taxi's here. A handful of t-shirts , some shorts , the "meds " a pair of shoes and out the door .

RE: So! - papamark - 09-25-2014

Three weeks this summer with two carry-on bags.
That included my mask, fins, and snorkel, as well as rain and cool weather hiking gear for the mountains.
Had laundry done twice. Still did not use everything I carried...
And if I would have had checked luggage on my departure, I would have been forced to miss my flight.
Keep it simple...I will likely never check luggage again. Smile

RE: So! - captaind on Zion Hill - 09-25-2014

Southwest checked bag. Mostly hardware. No clothes except give aways to wrap the hardware in the suitcase. Plus large bottles of insect repellant, shampoo etc

RE: So! - rastagirl777 - 09-25-2014

We "collect" all year. For the next couple of months the boxes will come - I shop for supplies online about a month before we leave and our friends on-island do the same and have stuff shipped to us.

Bedding, toiletries and household items get packed first - everything is usually in the bags a few weeks out. My "office" gets collected and packed throughout the month before the trip, closing everything up the day before we leave. The last thing packed is always my clothing. That's a "night before" thing unless I'm traveling for work too close to departure date - then I try to have that all packed before I leave for my business trip.

By the time I'm left on the curb at SFO while Hub returns the rental car we have a total of 10 pieces of luggage - 6 checked, four carry-on.

Sounds formulaic because it is. Been doing this so long its not even stressful anymore. The prep (i.e., shopping, prescriptions, office) is more-so since it starts a month before we go...but once everything's in place its just a matter of fitting it in the bags we have and making sure none are overweight.

RE: So! - Tim - 09-25-2014

After a 3 week + trip to Europe this summer carry-on only, I will hopefully never check another bag travelling to the Caribbean. Honestly, I could have taken less clothes than I did. Biggest issue will be stuffing in my snorkeling and fishing gear.

RE: So! - rootswoman - 09-25-2014

I am turning over a new leaf.
I used to pack and shop, and pack and shop and pack....
Now I'm with you Tim
My goal is carry on only.
I have been trying to do this whenever I travel lately and it is so freeing!

Rastagirl, it sounds like you need some sort of a storage in Negril - I totally understand why you would bring down bedding but gosh that sounds like a lot to bring back and forth. I suppose if you have it down to a science its not so bad.

RE: So! - Westenders - 09-25-2014

Ahh yes I think I pack way too much too, but I like to have choices. My husband is as bad as me.
We do three large checked in, two carry ons and my handbag which has all sorts in.
To be fair, probably most of one check in is clothing and shoes for our daughter and my mother in law.

I think the UK must have less generous allowances in terms of carry on than the U.S. airlines, there is a size restriction here and they stand at the gate to make sure your bag fits in a crate, if not you have to check it in and of course pay more.

I can just picture OT do as he describes lol, and Captain you have a heads up, with your own place to leave stuff, you're very fortunate.
All those tools your bag must weigh a ton..

Rasta girl, I can imagine your planning and packing is a huge operation, and taking all your friends stuff over for them as well, you're very kind and organised.

Tim I don't know how you did it, what with the unreliable weather I always struggle more in Europe.

I agree with you rootswoman I also need to find a way to get out of the rat race of shopping and packing forever lol..

RE: So! - suzengrace - 09-25-2014

me and friend just did 3 weeks in Scandinavia with carry-on and back -pack.......

I'v learned you usually will re-wear same things.(we wash them at hotel, etc).I just take most practical things.. lot of things you can usually purchase when you get to destination...What i DONT bring: laptop,i pads(i want to be un-plugged) books(am too busy traveling to read-unless its an R and R vacation)lots camera equipment(esp in 3 rd world country-make you target-I take my trusty lil canon g10 -workhourse and takes excellent pics-as does iphones, etc)lots toiletries items-can buy them there..

use to over-pack but discovered I didnt need to ....Less really is better....and doable...the more you have the more you have to take care of deal with it...when am traveling /vacation thats what i want to get away from .

RE: So! - Winni - 09-26-2014

Flying Westjet we are only allowed 1 bag no more than 50 lbs. And at times they are very strict, 2 lbs over and you need to adjust.

I am usually packed to the hilt. Every trip I tell myself I am not gonna take so much, and when the time comes, I am packing and repacking. Fortunately, alot of the stuff is for my house, so it is going to stay there, but some things I refuse to go without such as: family size both Kraft peanut butter and cheez whiz. LOL Stone loves this stuff and it lasts him for months when I am not there. and I refuse to spend the same amount in JA for a much smaller version. But it is heaaaavy.... I have been thinking about purchasing a kindle to lighten up the load from the books, but I normally give the books to a girlfriend after I'm finished with them.

Of course, I bring some new items for my Godson, candy for the kids in the lane, Lawd, it goes on and on... I have been known to put on parties for the kids at the lane shop and if this happens, yikes! then I got a whole bunch of kid stuff for loot bags...

Can't help it, I love doing it.