The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Scotland voted no - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Scotland voted no (/showthread.php?tid=100574)

Scotland voted no - Westenders - 09-19-2014

Results just in... Scotland voted no to leaving the United Kingdom and becoming an Independent country.
Historic moment for our four countries.

RE: Scotland voted no - oldtimer - 09-19-2014

I wish Canada would leave. But on the other hand I'm glad that Quebec didn't leave Canada. What was Scotlands big beef anyway ? If Charles and Horsehead would step aside for William I would change my mind . Where is Fergie these days ?

RE: Scotland voted no - kylake - 09-19-2014

United you stand and divided can cause you to fail/fall. Strength in numbers I believe is best. They tried secession here in the US and the result was not good.

RE: Scotland voted no - Winni - 09-19-2014

I feel a sense of relief, I don't know why though. Maybe afraid of change or the unknown. Just glad Scotland is sticking around!!

RE: Scotland voted no - Westenders - 09-19-2014

(09-19-2014, 07:58 AM)oldtimer Wrote:  I wish Canada would leave. But on the other hand I'm glad that Quebec didn't leave Canada. What was Scotlands big beef anyway ? If Charles and Horsehead would step aside for William I would change my mind . Where is Fergie these days ?

So funny... I think Fergie is locked in the Tower of London.. She is the scarlet woman of the Royal Family and banished for life...

I'm not that into the Royals myself, although I'm more indifferent than against them. I think William Kate and Harry are the saviours of the family, and their popularity is massive. They are very nice young men though, so I quietly like them.

winni and kylake, I'm definitely sharing your thought on this as well

In terms do Scotland, they just have never liked being ruled by England. It was worrying to consider the financial impact to all in the union if they voted yes, with the Welfare State standing to explode and the threat of plunging us all back into a recession.
As a staunch Labour supporter myself, it scared me to hell to think that if they voted yes, most of the Labour MPs and seats are Scottish, so in England with the North South divide, we would have ended up with the Tory's running the country for the foreseeable ....perish the thought,

There has been an all party commitment to giving Scotland more political autonomy, so hoping that this is a compromise that can work..and will make Scotland feel more in charge of their own future.

And 85% of the population voted! that is staggering!

Now just wait to see whether the call for a referendum for the UK to leave the EU will be next..
All very confusing really!

RE: Scotland voted no - kylake - 09-19-2014

Quote: Westenders wrote: And 85% of the population voted! that is staggering!
If 85% of my country ever voted at one time on any election we could truly have a consensus on what the population wants. Sadly that does not happen here even in a presidential election. I believe the last presidential election (2012) it was about 58% but don't quote me on that number. Just something I remember.

RE: Scotland voted no - Westenders - 09-20-2014

(09-19-2014, 08:07 PM)kylake Wrote:  
Quote: Westenders wrote: And 85% of the population voted! that is staggering!
If 85% of my country ever voted at one time on any election we could truly have a consensus on what the population wants. Sadly that does not happen here even in a presidential election. I believe the last presidential election (2012) it was about 58% but don't quote me on that number. Just something I remember.

Yep, 65% in the last UK General Election. Voter apathy has been discussed for years here, but maybe Scotland bucked the trend and will shape future election turnouts.
They even allowed 16/17 year olds to vote for the first time, who did so en masse..
Scotland have certainly set a high standard for having your voice heard. Pretty exciting stuff.
Feels very similar to the first election win for Obama.. I was in Jamaica at that time, and the excitement there was sizzling.

RE: Scotland voted no - MissJamaicaSoul - 09-21-2014

I haven't posted here for ages!!!!
Cheers Westenders re your post.I'm Scottish as well as a Jamaicaholic!!!

I voted no to Independence....woke around 2 30 am and watched all the results coming in....what a night!

The police were at the polling station when I cast my vote.....and I don't live in a big city!!!!
I'm so relieved at the result....onwards and upwards!!!

MissJamaicaSoul

RE: Scotland voted no - Westenders - 09-24-2014

(09-21-2014, 02:49 PM)MissJamaicaSoul Wrote:  I haven't posted here for ages!!!!
Cheers Westenders re your post.I'm Scottish as well as a Jamaicaholic!!!

I voted no to Independence....woke around 2 30 am and watched all the results coming in....what a night!

The police were at the polling station when I cast my vote.....and I don't live in a big city!!!!
I'm so relieved at the result....onwards and upwards!!!

MissJamaicaSoul

Yes it has been a very exciting and worrying time for all of us.
We watched in earnest through the night too. you just couldn't call it results wise.
Glad Scotland are staying...yay!