The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Article on murders in Negril - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Article on murders in Negril (/showthread.php?tid=100481)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Article on murders in Negril - Winni - 08-08-2014

Schultzie and Westie:

Thanks for the condolences... but I grieve for Ter and the rest of them. I hugged her immediately of course, but it felt like so little comfort. She sat there in absolute shock and what can you say? Nothing, other than to sit there quietly with her in some kind of support.

I realize many online peeps are reeling right now with all that has happened. I just want to remind some that this happened in the Westend back in 2005? 2006? Can't remember what year exactly, but it was when Maestro was murdered in the family's yard. That same evening the security guard at Xtabi was shot and killed. The thought was that the same men did it, probably high on adreneline and other stuff and did it without motive.

My point? These things come in waves. I can't explain why it just does. And yes, I do blame a lot of it on ATI weekend, and no, I do not have blinders on....

The other thing I think about was the shooting at Wisechoice. Apparently, the guy who was killed collected money from many of the places that have the lottery booths. In my opinion it was completely irresponsible of the employer to not have 2 men employed, one to collect the money and one to watch his back. May have been a different outcome or maybe not, we won't ever know.

RE: Article on murders in Negril - Angel - 08-08-2014

Winni please do not think I was saying you had blinders on. I'm talking about the police. In sorry to hear about your friend. (((hugs)))

Angel, no problem. It was a general statement.

Thanks for the (((hugs))).

RE: Article on murders in Negril - brihinds - 08-08-2014

Winni, Ter has been so heavy on my mind during this whole horrible ordeal. It hits too close to home after the loss of her husband and what happened at Xtabi. How much grief should one good Negril family have to endure?

Many of the comments in the news article has long time West End residents stating that things like this never happen in Negril. Thanks for bringing the incident with Maestro to light. I constantly worry about Leon' s Sister and his Nephew's on the West End, especially Christopher and Byron.

RE: Article on murders in Negril - Tim - 08-08-2014

I have been staying on the sidelines while on our tour of europe but now we are home and I need to chime in.
Things are really going to shit in Negril and area right now, the people I really feel for are the small business owners, along with their families. How can anyone feel safe there, knowing you could be the next victim? These people are just trying to earn a living to raise and support their families and the "police" seem to have no effect on all the criminals running amok.
Most everyone here has friends and aquaintances in Jamaica, and we feel for them obviously, but the vast majority here also do not live there, trying their best to feed their families with the tiny incomes they are able to earn.
I don't care if you go to Jamaica for a day, a week, a month, whatever; the days comes when we pack up our shit, say bye to our friends and fly home. I am 47 years old and live in a city of 40,000 people. I don't know anyone, I mean ANYONE, that has ever been shot. The only person I know that has been a victim of a knife wound from a criminal is my wife, and that occurred where else, in Negril. For every visitor to Negril that is a victim of crime that we read about on these forums, how many do we not hear about??
My wife does not read these forums, she still talks about our next trip to Negril - if she knew of all these shootings I highly doubt she would want to go back. How can I risk the safety of her knowing how rampant the shootings are occuring there right now? How many days till we read about the tourist that got shot over his pocket money? Then blame the victim because he didn't know the "runnings".
Thankfully we have other places on our agenda for the next 2 winters, I have very little desire to see or hear about another murder while on vacation. Thats not why we go.
I have no doubt things in Jamaica are only going to get worse, the government just doesn't care.

RE: Article on murders in Negril - macyoder - 08-08-2014

Much might not change in Jamaica. People are going because if the bad thing did not happen to them or someone they know, it wasn't important or worse must be your fault. I have heard it too many times, it must be the company you keep why your were hurt, disrespected even killed. The crap is in the country as well, just how lucky you get or what dross you attract. I will continue with my plans for Kingston and Blue Mountains. Port Antonio had a good vibe, more so than my home town. I am suppose to be Ok with this because I was born there. This is not the Jamaica of the 60s and 70's I know.

It's also important to be vigilant as if you were home. Unless at home you never drink (some do) or smoke, not me. Ok, go on vacation to escape but remember to watch your back and what's coming at you from the side. If things go wrong, it could be your fault for attracting dross.

Hope and pray for the best for those going through it.

Tim - I get what your saying and everyone has their own decision to make.

You should look at OT's paradise which is Honduras and what the reply was to that post. If Jamaica covers up crime/death ie Rick's Cafe what makes anyone think that other countries that are based on tourist dollars are not doing the same? They most definately do.

Until I feel differently, I will not walk away from Jamaica. Saying I won't go somewhere because I may be the next victom just doesnt compute with me. But everyone operates from their own past and experiences...

RE: Article on murders in Negril - Westenders - 08-08-2014

(08-08-2014, 01:23 PM)Winni Wrote:  Tim - I get what your saying and everyone has their own decision to make.

You should look at OT's paradise which is Honduras and what the reply was to that post. If Jamaica covers up crime/death ie Rick's Cafe what makes anyone think that other countries that are based on tourist dollars are not doing the same? They most definately do.

Until I feel differently, I will not walk away from Jamaica. Saying I won't go somewhere because I may be the next victom just doesnt compute with me. But everyone operates from their own past and experiences...

I hear you winni, I wouldn't, couldn't walk away either.
Everyone needs to make their own decisions. For me it's just looking at the potential for risk at this point right here and right now. There is a lot going on up there at the moment, and I don't think I want to be in that vibe right now.

ATI and dreams have always drawn people from everywhere, that's why there is such a police presence and a road block on the beach road. But they are there to police the event and just like most canny criminals, what better time to strike when the police are caught up with and eyes turned elsewhere !
Not excusing, just saying

These murders have become high profile, largely because of Colin's good reputation with tourists. The police are seriously trying to catch these thugs. We just can't see it.

Westie

If I was planning to go this month (booked already) I might still go but it would certainly be with mixed feelings... If I hadn't booked it yet, I would probably wait till things calmed down for sure.

The whole thing just sux....

RE: Article on murders in Negril - JamaGinger - 08-09-2014

Tim...I think one of the things that upsets me the most about all of this is that the hard-working, honest Jamaicans are going to be the ones targeted by these thugs first, because they have something. I have come to know so many Jamaicans who fit this description.

I walked the beach on our trip last month and was looking for a Jamaican who I have enjoyed over a few trips who has a business on the beach. He was such a sweet, humble guy who was good to everyone. He was the leader of a band of hard-working people who gathered at a specific abandoned lot on the beach every day. You could tell by being around this group that they all looked up to him. I know I did. Just upon meeting him, you liked him.

As I walked this part of the beach during my trip, I asked after him to one of the guys who is part of the group. He told me he had died earlier this year, because he was hit by a vehicle on the beach road. The driver of said vehicle was outrunning the police.

I am growing tired of hearing about good people being killed because of the criminal element. This news pretty much put a pall over my vacation. The government needs to act and take care of this situation, before it gets completely out of control.