The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Article on murders in Negril - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Article on murders in Negril (/showthread.php?tid=100481)

Pages: 1 2 3

Article on murders in Negril - Sharleen - 08-07-2014

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/westernnews/Bike-riding-gunmen-on-rampage-in-Negril_17310802
SAVANNA-LA-MAR, Westmoreland — THE Westmoreland police are grappling with a recent wave of murders and robberies perpetrated by gunmen travelling on motorcycles.
But despite the similarity in the method of transportation used by the gunmen, Commander of the Westmoreland Police Division, Deputy Superintendent Errol Ranger, is not prepared to conclude that it is the same set of bikers who are responsible for the spate of murders.
“We are indeed concerned and we are continuing to work here (in Negril) where we are pursuing leads to bring the perpetrators to justice,” DSP Ranger told the Observer West. “It could be the same perpetrators because of similar modus, but investigations will determine that.”
In just eight days, motorcycles have featured in four separate killings — three of them in Negril — in the parish.
The most recent homicide involving gunmen operating motorcycles was reported on Monday night when 22-year-old Jeffery Ewen of the Red Ground section of Negril was peppered with bullets by two gunmen.
Reports are that about 8:30, Ewen — who disembarked from his motorcycle he drove home with a female companion as a pillion — was about to enter his gate when he was pounced upon by two gun-toting men, who rode up on motorcycles. Ewen ran but was chased by the men who opened fire hitting him repeatedly before jumping on the bikes to make their escape.
Ewen was pronounced dead at the Savannala- Mar Public General Hospital, while his female companion, said to be a Black American staying at a hotel in West End, Negril, escaped unhurt.
The incident occurred three nights after the second of two incidents in the West End area of the resort town where motorcycle-riding gunmen struck last week.
Last Friday night, 55-year-old Wenzil Heron, most popularly known as Dougbert, who lived in the Top Little section of Little London, Westmoreland, was attacked by gunmen in the West End betting shop where he went to collect money.
Reports are that about 8:20 am Heron, who collects money at various business establishments on behalf of his employer, was about to execute his duty at a Supreme Ventures gaming outlet in West End, when assailants pounced and took five bags loaded with an undetermined sum of money.
The wounded Heron failed in his bid to escape in his motor car, which slammed into a nearby utility pole. Heron’s attackers reportedly made their escape on motorcycles.
Three days before that, gunmen shot and killed 51-year-old Colin Lynch at his business establishment Out of Town Pastry and Bakery in West End, Negril, and took the cash register before they made off on motorcycles.
Reports from the Negril Police are that about 9:00 pm, two men travelling on a motorcycle entered Lynch's premises where they engaged him in a brief conversation before opening fire, hitting him.
Lynch was rushed to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. Meanwhile, last Sunday it was reported that about a dozen motorcyclists sprayed a bar with bullets, killing 32- year-old farmer Horace Brissett and injuring another man in the Westmoreland community of Hartford.
In the meantime, the recent method of operation employed by the gunmen has prompted DSP Ranger to intensify a drive against motorcycles operating contrary to the Road Traffic Act. The initiative has resulted in the seizure of six motorcycles between Negril and Little London last Thursday.
However, the head honcho of the Westmoreland police division admitted that motorcycles operating in breach of the Act have posed a perennial problem in the parish. “As we seize them, others appear even as we have those we seized in our position,” DSP Ranger argued.
“They (motorcycles) are legitimately sold by dealers; however, for the most part they are not licensed or insured.” Over the weekend, Winthrope Wellington, a director of the Negril Chamber of Commerce, expressed concerns over the two individuals, who were up to that time last week, killed in the West End section of Negril.
“It obviously is concerning. A safe community is one of the priorities of a business owner and a resident here in Negril. Where these crimes are concerned, I am sure that the police are making these attacks one of their top priorities,” Wellington stated.
In the meantime, DSP Ranger noted that prior to those killings in West End, a patrol was dedicated to that section of the resort town after a feud threatened to escalate between two factions, following the death of three children who lost their lives when fire razed a house in the community.
The senior cop noted that the two murders occurred while the patrol was in another section of the community. “Following the death of the three children in the West End area we had intelligence in relation to some feud which prompted us to initiate a patrol which concentrated in the area,” DSP Ranger told the Observer West.
“We have since dedicated an additional patrol of two motorcycles, specifically for that area.”

RE: Article on murders in Negril - Winni - 08-07-2014

Hey Sharleen!

I have been following all these posts and was gonna replied but noticed they seemed to have died so I didn't want to start them up again. However, now that you posted this I will put in my 2 cents.

I was in Negril when both of the Westend killings happened. In fact Colin's sister Ter is my good friend and so are her sons and daughters. We got the call the night Colin was killed and immediately the next morning we went to her yard. We sat with one of the sons as Ter wasn't there as she was at her mothers informing her that she had lost yet another son. Dennis died the year before almost to the day...

Shortly after the yard visit we went up to Hylton to visit Sissy and she just couldn't believe Colin was gone. After our visit we stopped at Out of Town as Ter was now there with her daughters. She was in absolute disbelieve that this happened. Everyone said the same thing that he was being watched. Lately Colin had been closing earlier due to the recent past threat and they think he just got comfortable again as it had been a couple of months. No one could understand why him and I was told that nothing was stolen...

If anyone thinks that these things happen and the Jamaicans are not angry and upset, think again. My take from sitting there with the immediate family was they were very angry that it took 45 mins for the cops to show up. And that 2- 4 cars (not clear on the number) all drove straight up the West end road with none going up from Orange Hill/Redground... Nice way to let the killers escape...

I left this past Sunday, with ATI in full swing down on the beach and I have to wonder why there was next to no police presence in the Westend during this time... It's not rocket science.. crime is going to escalate when you have the population increase with out of town visitors and residence heading down to the beach area.

It is a double edged sword however with the statement, because it seems to me that when the police are in the Westend they are more concerned with harrassing the residents instead of checking the strangers...

My poor Ja...

RE: Article on murders in Negril - JonTom - 08-07-2014

thanks for the article.
"...said to be a Black American staying..."
Good thing they informed concerned readers of that.

RE: Article on murders in Negril - Angel - 08-07-2014

The police need to get off their asses and do their job! Get rid of the corrupt ones...... well may not be many left then. Would not be surprised if it was police doing these shootings or know who it is. Get your blinders off and find out who the hell is doing this. The deceased people are some ones loved ones. This does not need to be ignored it needs to be STOPPED!

RE: Article on murders in Negril - JamaGinger - 08-07-2014

This is all so, so disturbing. I don't even know what to think anymore. I have spent innumerable happy days in Jamaica, but this recent turn of events makes me seriously consider not returning. We have a trip booked for the end of the year. We would lose about $700, if we don't go. But, if this sort of thing continues, we will be canceling it.

RE: Article on murders in Negril - JamaGinger - 08-07-2014

And, what does this part mean...gangs?

"after a feud threatened to escalate between two factions".

Factions of what?

RE: Article on murders in Negril - brihinds - 08-08-2014

Again, my heart breaks for the Lynch Family and all of Negril.
And yes, there is always more to the story than meets the eye of the tourist. Especially when robbery does not appear to be a motive.

RE: Article on murders in Negril - suzengrace - 08-08-2014

a dozen bikers came to a country bar and sprayed bullets...wonderful....i often try to get out of negril and go to the country bars...obviously had i been there -or anyone else..good chance you'd be dead.. so , once again..i guess the AI's our right..dont go outside the confines of the gates its not safe.. sure isnt, as the american girl on the back of the bike of her Jam friend who was gunned down now knows...,...

seriously...unless the police step up there game ..no thanks, i'm side ling negril and going back to port antonio or treasure beach..crime there too but not to this extent..and yes, keep blaming ati week and the low season summer months..i dont give a s____ what you call or blame it on...this is pretty bad and do i want to go and spend my time with this hanging over my head....i guess if you never leave your yard,,,,but that;s not me........you others who have places there and friends /families and our determined to go back no matter what ...god be with you.....

not to mention i heard some crime in green island too,,,,,close neighbor to negril..

like i said ...the pot going to have to overflow and get real ugly before drastic measures come in and take over..and i hope that a poor tourist isnt going to be the sacrificial lamb for this to happen...or a ex=pat/foreigner living there...

RE: Article on murders in Negril - Schuttzie - 08-08-2014

Winni, Thank you for coming in and explaining your first hand experience. My sincere condolences to you and your dear friend's family. Prayers being sent.

I haven't been to Negril for a very long time but all of these events would really deter me and make think twice about going.

RE: Article on murders in Negril - Westenders - 08-08-2014

Winni, your account makes it feel even more personal. i hope your okay.
I agree with your point about Jamaicans feeling angry and worried about what is happening there. i think some are assuming that this is not the case.
Can you imagine how frightening it must be to hear a group of bikes coming now, which before was just an everyday occurence.

I have no trust in the police, way too corrupt, but the right people need to be brought to justice and locked up. Shooting them is too easy.
The West End is self policing, and that worries me as well.
Everyone has a good word and story about Colin, this will not be something that the community are lowing.

Suzengrace, im like you, we go to a lot of country and off beat places, normally i feel very safe.
I think i mentioned before, i witnessed someone shot dead on a motorbike two years ago, with a pillion on the back.(fortunately not shot as well) Traumatised me for ages. ive no desire to be in the wrong place at the wrong time again.
I think this may get worse before it gets better.

I have decided that we should not go as planned next month, im going to talk to hubby later on. I think things are way to heated at the moment and as he is from the West End i definitely dont want him/us getting caught up in anything.
Normally we could just think about staying in Hanover, but this has happened to two good men there recently as well, but not covered in the media.
Feels really sad to reach this decision, but im no hero, i need to stay safe for my kids.

We are going at the end of the year, so hoping things will be resolved by then. But i wish that mostly for the community than so i can visit freely.