The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
more on Negril breakwater - not enough $$ - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: more on Negril breakwater - not enough $$ (/showthread.php?tid=100480)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

more on Negril breakwater - not enough $$ - JonTom - 08-06-2014

article about recent meeting on Negril breakwater project.

"‘Not enough money.
Consultants say integrated approach for Negril costly"
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/-Not-enough-money-_17291500

I likes me some shirts:
"nuh destroy jah land
wid yu breakwater plan"

RE: more on Negril breakwater - not enough $$ - Blues Pirate - 08-06-2014

So it looks like the breakwater concept is toast and beach replenishing (i.e. dredge it up and dump it on shore) is in. I'm ok with that.

RE: more on Negril breakwater - not enough $$ - JonTom - 08-07-2014

BP, I read that article to mean the concerned local Negril and the hotelier's would prefer the comprehensive plan (including replenishing), but that the NWA is saying, "yea , yea we hear you , but we don't have the $ - breakwaters full speed ahead".

RE: more on Negril breakwater - not enough $$ - Winni - 08-07-2014

Yes, BP, smaller version of the original plan but with no sand replacement.

I'd like them to try the sand version first and go from there....

RE: more on Negril breakwater - not enough $$ - JonTom - 08-15-2014

letter to Gleaner today, claiming JA Inf. Services published biased article in favor or breakwater project, cherry-picking 2 sources to paint it in a favorable light.

"JIS Off Base On Negril Project"
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140815/letters/letters5.html

One gets the feeling this is a done deal. Run wid it.

RE: more on Negril breakwater - not enough $$ - JonTom - 08-23-2014

I doubt politricks will add in any beneficial way to this debate, but fwiw, a short article:

"Opposition Wants Gov’t To Reconsider Negril Break Water Project"
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=55001

RE: more on Negril breakwater - not enough $$ - rastagirl777 - 08-23-2014

"So it looks like the breakwater concept is toast and beach replenishing (i.e. dredge it up and dump it on shore) is in. I'm ok with that. "

THANK GOD (part of me knew though this was never going to happen...just cause of the way things roll in Jamaica....)

Dredging and replenishing? Not thrilled with that idea, but better than the other one, I'll agree with that. The best idea and the least expensive idea would of course be to put a moratorium on any development on Long Bay and replant the damn beach. Why is that such a hard concept to swallow? Oy!!!

RE: more on Negril breakwater - not enough $$ - JonTom - 12-21-2014

Article on the approval of breakwaters and some Negril Hoteliers fight against it.

"War brews in Negril"

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/War-brews-in-Negril_18130382
I missed the news that the Natural Resources Conservation Authority had given approval for construction of the breakwaters.

The one good thing about slow pace of things in JA is, if it actually goes ahead, it surely will take longer than whatever estimate (12 to 15 months).

Well, as they point out, traffic could be a mess, so I guess the long time frame is not good from that perspective.

RE: more on Negril breakwater - not enough $$ - Blues Pirate - 12-21-2014

So if it is not the Negril hoteliers who were initially concerned about the so called beach erosion and started this exercise in finding a solution which they now find unsatisfactory, who did?

RE: more on Negril breakwater - not enough $$ - kylake - 12-22-2014

I don't support the breakwater but:

If you were going to do a breakwater why would you even think of trucking in the rock. You would barge in the rock and distribute from the barge with a clam shell crane. One barge could haul more than 20 trucks!

"Meanwhile, Arthurs argued that motor vehicular traffic will grind to a snail's pace, resulting in severe back-up of traffic in the town, when the over 20 trucks are transporting the large boulders to be placed in the sea."