The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
news article on Colin Lynch - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: news article on Colin Lynch (/showthread.php?tid=100459)

Pages: 1 2 3

news article on Colin Lynch - Sharleen - 07-31-2014

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/West-End-residents-mourn-murder-of-businessman_17272835
NEGRIL, Westmoreland — Some residents of West End in this western Jamaica town cried openly yesterday when they learnt of Tuesday's night's brutal murder of businessman Colin Lynch, who was said to be well-loved in the community.
Lynch, 51, was shot dead at his business place about 9:00 Tuesday night. The police reported that men, who were travelling on motorcycles, entered Lynch's buisnessplace where they engaged him in a brief conversation before opening fire, hitting him. Lynch was rushed to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
Grieving residents claimed yesterday that five men who travelled on three motorcycles are responsible for the murder. The residents claimed that after the men shot Lynch they made off with his cash register.
Tears flowed freely from people gathered at the pastry shop which was operated by Lynch. They said the businessman was a very kind person, and wondered why anyone would want to kill him.
Lynch's widow, Sharon, who returned to Jamaica yesterday after getting news of her husband's murder, told the Jamaica Observer that an attempt was made on his life on two previous occasions.
"Him dead fi true! Colin dead, me love Colin. Jesus Christ! Look how Colin good to people and them kill him. A the best man in West End," the weeping woman said.
Others described the businessman as very quiet.
"He was not outspoken. He only lived from shop to the house. Before he quarrel with you he would prefer to cry," said one resident.
A man sporting a dreadlocks hairstyle, in lamenting the murder of the businessman, said he had encouraged Lynch to get a licensed firearm but he refused.
A family member who was listening to the conversation said Lynch would not carry a gun because he could not harm anyone.

RE: news article on Colin Lynch - oldtimer - 07-31-2014

All you "I'm ok people PLEASE TAKE NOTE !!!!!! " Your only 1 road block , 1 visit from some one to have this happen. RIP Colin !!!

RE: news article on Colin Lynch - captaind on Zion Hill - 07-31-2014

(07-31-2014, 08:37 AM)oldtimer Wrote:  All you "I'm ok people PLEASE TAKE NOTE !!!!!! " Your only 1 road block , 1 visit from some one to have this happen. RIP Colin !!!

For how many years were you one fouled prop from a watery grave?

RE: news article on Colin Lynch - rastagirl777 - 07-31-2014

OT, that comment can apply to anyone anywhere on the planet. I can walk out of my front door in 10 minutes and get shot at by some crazy. The chances of that are pretty slim...probably less slim of that happening to me in Jamaica, considering this latest tragedy happened so close to my front door.

Lots of people in my circle that do not live in Negril full time are giving pause to returning due to disgust or worry that things are so bad that its not a matter of "if" but "when". Others in my circle live there full time - they don't want to leave even if they had the choice (some do not).

I can only speak for myself - I am not altering my trip this winter by one minute. I will not buy into fear, never have - even though this is now the second friend I've lost to senseless murder in Jamaica. I long to be in my community now, grieving with them. I long to hug Sharon and Pumpkin long and tight trying to bring some comfort to a situation that will never allow that. I cannot do that now, but I will this winter.

I'll take with me on this trip a little more worry and even more precaution to protect myself and my home. But I refuse to let these punks scare me away from there or have my neighbors and my community locked away in fear.

I get what you are saying but in my mind's eye - its part hysteria based on your own personal experiences combined with this latest travesty. I understand yours and others reasons for not returning. I also understand Cap's reasons for not only returning but to building something not just for himself but for his family.

I believe in hope and prayer and I pray always that betta mus come. Other than that I am helpless in doing anything more save another letter to the police commissioner demanding better protection and a better close rate on these horrific crimes. In the US these punks, if caught, would be tried for first degree murder and would be thrown right onto death row. Not a supporter of the death penalty - just sayin'.

RE: news article on Colin Lynch - Westenders - 07-31-2014

This is the second killing in a week that we know of, both very similar.
Mother in law phoned a few days ago to say their family friend, who also had his own shop was shot in the head and died the next day.
This was in country, half an hour from negril, hasn't even made the news, which is even sadder.
A respectable older community man shot dead, and not even newsworthy!!

There is just no leadership or real consequences for gun crime in Jamaica IMO, innocent people are being killed at the hands of thugs and the police. I know of five people shot dead by the police in the last 18 months, as well as a friend caught in the crossfire of the police shooting a thug a few months ago at a friggin children's football match. Leg full of copper shot for him and man shot dead by police in front of a Field of traumatised kids.

For me the change has to start with the corruption in the police and government, otherwise what stops the 'people' joining them.

RG I agree with your perspective.

RE: news article on Colin Lynch - Pineapple - 07-31-2014

Very sad situation. A man just trying to make a life for his family -- keeping a little business going in Negril.

(07-31-2014, 07:38 AM)Sharleen Wrote:  http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/West-End-residents-mourn-murder-of-businessman_17272835
Lynch was rushed to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

"rushed to the hospital"? -- yea, right. In the invisible ambulance to the non existing hospital in Negril. Is it any wonder people don't survive.

RE: news article on Colin Lynch - kylake - 07-31-2014

Quote: rastagirl777 wrote: OT, that comment can apply to anyone anywhere on the planet.

RG, you don't know me and I don't know you, don't take this an attack, but you are always on the defense (kin to Bobby?). Just kidding I know you are not and I know you have connections/family and have forgotten more about Jamaica than I will ever know.

The murder happened in a small community, I am new but I believe Negril is about 7K population. Can it happen "anywhere in on the planet".....of course it can but it doesn't normally happen with the frequency we are now seeing in the small community of Negril? In a big city you are totally correct in a small community I beg to differ with what you said about "on the planet".
I live in a community of 7K myself and it absolutely does not happen with the frequency we are now beginning to see in Negril. I am sure/hope this is not country wide but Westmorland Parish is developing a constant, frequent problem with both truly tragic crime like Colin's murder and crime both petty and more major and it has been building for several years, (myself not living there and only a tourist), just reading boards and digital newspaper.

Do not want a big tit for tat, most likely will not rebuttal if you reply, just saying my 2 cents!

RE: news article on Colin Lynch - booger - 07-31-2014

Rastagirl,
Have you inquired with Bobby to purchase his site when he retires? That would ensure a continuity in at least one thing, GerryG's banishment.

Seriously though, Negril or Jamaica for that matter is not a safe place. Life does not have the value that it does in developed society and the violent crime ratio rivals some of the shittiest places in the US. Sadly it's nearly impossible to make a compare as not all serious crime hits the news.

I'm left to wondering who's next?

RE: news article on Colin Lynch - rastagirl777 - 07-31-2014

Kylake - I am offended. Not someone I appreciate being in the same room with much less being compared to. However, I do understand the spirit in which your comments were made.

Here's the context you seem to be reacting to:

"Your only 1 road block , 1 visit from some one to have this happen."
That was the comment I was responding to. And yes, actually in 10 minutes some nut job could be at my door with an AK47. Its never happened in my bucolic little town...but it happened in my friend's bucolic little town, a little town called NEWTON CT. There was no violent crime in Newton before this - and none since.

I agree, comparing crime stats in the US or Canada to Jamaica is skewed. There is a justice system in place in the US and Canada where the best justice can be bought and justice for a family of a slain member can be realized. No one was ever held responsible for Uncle Sam's disappearance. And I don't hold out much hope that these guys will be caught and brought to justice either.

DO NOT EVER compare me to the whitewash site. I have no personal interest in any business there. I have a very personal interest in the PEOPLE there. I really resent being accused of being defensive (well, now I am I guess - AGAIN) or being attacked because I'm stating my opinion in relation to another's post/opinion. I don't buy into hysteria. I'm a born and bred New Yorker, seen LOTS in the decades I've been coming to Jamaica...and this man was a personal friend of mine and my husband and this shooting happened no more that 100 feet from my yard.

Me...personally - I think I've said it before...I'm not changing or cancelling my winter trip. Its up to each one individually to do what they feel is best for their own safety and sanity. It is a vacation kids and spending your vacation in fear is not a vacation, right? I refuse to give into fear. I refuse to let the "bad guys" do that to me or my friends.

Oh, and Booger, since you seem to always be quick with your attacks you should know that while Gerry and I don't see eye to eye too often and while I might not appreciate his comments at times, I am nothing if not for free speech. So if I ever lose my mind and operate a site such as "over there" - Gerry you are more than welcome to spew anything you want. I won't care because my husband will have smothered me with a pillow at that point at my request.

RE: news article on Colin Lynch - booger - 07-31-2014

Attack? Oh lord........

Sorry lady, but you missed the mark with pun.....

Your defensiveness is much stronger than my "Attack"