The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
a question for Captain .. - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: a question for Captain .. (/showthread.php?tid=100456)

Pages: 1 2

a question for Captain .. - Oldtimer2 - 07-30-2014

1st this is only a question so I don't want people trying to read anything into this.
I like you have been going/living in Jamaica since the mid 60's . I went when I was 18years old to work after the fishing season ended here. I lived in places like Bog Walk , Linstead , Ochi , Mandeville , Kingston, etc and only went to Negril on road trips except when my family came to be with me and we rented an apartment at Hilltop in Redground . It was a disaster trying to let my kids go to school there . That is why I taught my son to hit 1st ask questions later . That made it a lot easier on them but I also saw a parent shot at the school they attended in Linstead. I saw kids beaten by kids , parents , teachers had dogs sicked on them , just crap. But you left for many years , and you are saying that you are just getting back into the swing of things. If you are not a tourist or an expat ,what do they think you are ? Maybe the fact that you have rested eyes and heart (gone for a 30 year hiatus ) makes you more willing to see the lovelyness in the countryside . Remember you are only 1 car ride short of a robbery , 1 walk away from harm but still in a relatively safe place . I have never been robbed but have had a few scraps ( I'm not the guy to push ) . I was very physical fit and nipped things right off the hop. But after working /visiting Jamaica for all those years and seeing things get worse instead of better has my cup filled to the top. Negril has the economics of any 1st world country . It has the population of a very large town wanting to look at the world for more tourists but let the unruly run the shit box town . They have people like Bobby that are paid to lie to the public through social media about the safety concerns that Negril themselves are causing . Why are they staying in a 3rd world state ? Is it culture not to change ? Why should Negril be the world capital of Rastatutes ? The more I think about what you said about Negril " there are only so many Red Stripes , so many spliffs and so much jerk chicken to eat . And night time a person should feel safe walking to these places to eat and drink without being on your "A" game or checking to see if your cab has a red plate. I'm sorry about running off here but this is why I am probably not coming back after the wedding of my son. Again I ask "what do locals think your are after being away for 30 years and returning and having the $'s to rebuild your old place ?

RE: a question for Captain .. - brihinds - 07-30-2014

Very Beautiful Cap! I return because I love and miss my Family there. I lived on Westland Mountain with my late Husband and surrounded by his Family without incident for many years. We also traveled throughout Jamaica on a regular basis (almost weekly to Kingston) with no problems.

Here in Kalamazoo which at one time was rated one of the most desirable small college towns I here gunshots outside my window all of the time. We had four college students shot here Saturday night.

I don't go out after dark here. I will in Negril because some one is always watching out for me.

RE: a question for Captain .. - macyoder - 07-30-2014

As of today, I have vowed not to return to Jamaica with my family. I am tired of turning a deaf ear to the belittling comments about my husband and his 'abilities' or lack there for. The openness of weed in presence of adults and the lack of boundaries with men. Really, not the Jamaica I was raised in, so a different take and perspective.

Yet, I want Jamaica to be a place where it's safe for them to return long after I am gone. For them I maintain certain contacts and go back looking for hope that they will be fine there. Yes, I have taken them places which are more dangerous but not many places where I know good people might stand by and do nothing if they are hurt. My true concern is not if they get hurt, that could happen anywhere at anytime. It's what happen or won't happen if they do. In my neck on the woods right not, not much. Most of my close friends and family have died or migrated, so now seen as an outsider to many. Right now it's, can I go to Jamaica with you, nope, waiting for change to come. The change where good people won't be afraid to stand up on behalf of the weak or less fortunate, and ded to the informa will be no more.

H.O.P. E - Help Our People Evolve.

RE: a question for Captain .. - Oldtimer2 - 07-31-2014

" The people in the district seem to have no problem with my return.".. That my fellow Capt. is the " smoke and mirrors " of it all. You seem to have all the heart and soul and mentoring skills needed to guide a group , but 1 shot from a Glock stops the clock !!!!! I sold my land of over 40 years 4 years ago BUT I had no one interested in it like you have . I wish/hope for you to tread safe and sound through your project that will defiantly make a difference . If you don't go to the "bad guys " they might be watching you.

RE: a question for Captain .. - Raine - 07-31-2014

As of today, I have vowed not to return to Jamaica with my family. I am tired of turning a deaf ear to the belittling comments about my husband and his 'abilities' or lack there for.

This sounds rife with envy and jealousy.....quoting my Mom here

RE: a question for Captain .. - Schuttzie - 07-31-2014

I wish you all the best and much success in your endeavors for your family, Captain! I'm sure you are making a difference in their lives!

RE: a question for Captain .. - Angel - 07-31-2014

captainD sorry you deleted your post, know it meant well. But I do understand why. Please continue posting please. Respect!

RE: a question for Captain .. - rastagirl777 - 07-31-2014

Color me confused - I thought Cap's post was well thought out, beautifully said - honest...so why did you delete it Cap?

RE: a question for Captain .. - macyoder - 07-31-2014

OT- not so much smoke or mirror but his truth.

RE: a question for Captain .. - Van - 07-31-2014

I would guess he deleted it because he probably doesn't want or need so much of his personal business out there. It may come back to haunt him directly or indirectly.The less people know your business in Jamaica the better.