The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
My Guilty Pleasure - Free or Cheap - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: My Guilty Pleasure - Free or Cheap (/showthread.php?tid=100440)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: My Guilty Pleasure - Free or Cheap - macyoder - 07-25-2014

(07-25-2014, 12:17 PM)jitterbug Wrote:  macy, that's too much work for me . . .

And for most sane, busy, or working people, which is why I started the business, Mustbetripping. My background in Banking and Fiance plus being Jamaican, this is almost a game. In 5 years our family or as a couple have cruised plus traveled to Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, Jamaica, Canada, a month in Europe, west to east coast family visits, US vacations and camping with Costa Rica next all for free, cheap or cheaper. Its easier for someone looking for a break here or there on a flight or two.

The only thing my hubby knows about our vacations is that we are going somewhere and he needs to take time off work. He could not process all this or would care to. Last night I asked do you want to go to Asia: Hong Kong, Thailand and Bali. So that's our next big trip. My next business card I will get around 75k points which I will sell of about $950 to cover one flight. Cho, I might go without him:-)

RE: My Guilty Pleasure - Free or Cheap - macyoder - 07-25-2014

My excuse is that I need to vacation now because I won't live forever. Seriously, I do it now because of my heart and possible failure. In another 10 years it will be 30 years with a replacement heart valve, kinda unheard of. I could slow down and STOP being a royal pain in the azz but that's so normal. This might be the year I grow up and take life and living more seriously, lol!

RE: My Guilty Pleasure - Free or Cheap - jitterbug - 07-25-2014

you go girl . . .

RE: My Guilty Pleasure - Free or Cheap - Schuttzie - 07-26-2014

Good for you Macy!

RE: My Guilty Pleasure - Free or Cheap - macyoder - 07-26-2014

Doing Hawaii for free cheap/cheaper. I just did this with a couple

1. Hyatt Regency Card - 2 free nights each at ANY Hyatt Regency (Grand) after spending $1000 in 3 months. You can combine theses nights as a couple so 4 nights over $500 per night.

2. Starwood card - (Sheraton or Westin properties) - 25K points each after spending $3k in 3 months. This is enough for 4 free night but they add another free night once you book 4 so 5 nights.

3. Sapphire Preferred card $45K points after spending 3K in 3 months. This is enough for over $500 towards travel so your flight.

Three cards each in one year is not a lot and won't impact your credit score as much. If you get the offer in the mail its a soft hit on your credit so zero impact.

With Amazon pay this can be accomplished in a short period of time with points left off for car rental. We were able to do back to back trips to Hawaii and passing on another trip until later. The value of this trip , around $5,000 for spending about $1,000 per month on gas, groceries, phone, insurance, and BASIC living expenses.

Find the nearest Costco or Subway , cheap and healthy.

RE: My Guilty Pleasure - Free or Cheap - Schuttzie - 08-10-2014

Macy, Just an update. I did as you suggested with Amazon payments account and it worked! Not sure if I received points yet, though. Thank you for the tip!

RE: My Guilty Pleasure - Free or Cheap - macyoder - 08-10-2014

Fantastic, as long as you checked the goods/services tab, the points will come. After Costa Rica (2015) we head back to Hawaii (2016) as a graduation gift to my daughter.

RE: My Guilty Pleasure - Free or Cheap - macyoder - 01-06-2015

Yes, leaving for Costa Rica in a few weeks.

I also earned 106,000 miles on American Airlines (Citibank cards) and 50,000 on US Airways (from Barclay) . When these two companies merge later this year this will give me 156+K miles, enough for a darn long flight for later this year.

RE: My Guilty Pleasure - Free or Cheap - CardBoardBox - 01-07-2015

It can be fun, and rewarding, to milk the system. After all, it isn't dishonest.
The American card has a yearly fee upon renewal ($75?) which should be taken into account. I do wonder what items get purchased by your husband with those gift cards.

What some people fail to consider is the 35 cents plus 3 percent the retailer has to pay to process the cc charge, which, like theft (bad example, sorry) has to be considered by the merchant when he is pricing things. Both are the cost of business, but if I have enough cash in my pocket, I try to save the vendor that 3 percent.

But I don't accept free samples if I know I will never buy the product either.

I'm bailing out of Americans Advantage program. The only seats available seem to require me to overnight for a connecting flight and sometimes requires a 3rd leg. Maybe if I had a hotel voucher at a Hyatt Regency it wouldn't as hard as the airport floor, but it wouldn't improve the time required.

As for credit scores, which can affect loan rates if buying a house, I received a letter from one CC company saying they were increasing my interest rate due to my credit score and spending habits (which were almost nill). I did a LOL because my score is 840 out of a possible 850.

RE: My Guilty Pleasure - Free or Cheap - macyoder - 01-07-2015

Back track, I have a degree in Finance and background in banking. 

I am going to address credit score the way no guy would, more than a mouthful is a waste....lol. So 840 is like a DDD and mid to high 750 is a D with other extras. Yes, be mindful if you are in the market for a house or like my husband who thinks a new credit card is windfall. I usually close the card before the fee is due so. I think about where I want to go then choose the right card to make it possible, so not a ton of cards but more than most. I have the ability and opportunity to travel with my kids while we are all young. The value of my Costa Rica trip paid for in points and travel reward is $4,500, with free airport lounge access, free checked bags, and $100 statement credit to purchases made during the flight. 

As for the merchant, there is a cost of doing business be it by credit card, checks or cash. The bank charges a fee to process cash and checks. With cash the merchant has to count it and make his way to the bank to deposit it, wasting TIME. I will accept samples to try but correct I would never accept a sample of white and bright bleaching cream but anything from the maker of Black Don't Crack.....lol.  

The rich gets tax breaks while the poor gets welfare. If you are middle class paying through the nose for everything, you can have free travel. We got a line of credit on our house but found a bank that gave a $300 Home depot gift card. I was sending money to Jamaica but found a coupon code to waive the money transfer fee. I always search for coupon code for free shipping when I purchase things on line.