The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Parrot Fish Ban - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Parrot Fish Ban (/showthread.php?tid=100398)

Pages: 1 2

Parrot Fish Ban - Winni - 07-09-2014

There is talk of a ban on the beloved Parrot Fish due to environmental issues.

Here is the link:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Parrotfish-ban

My suggestion: Have a Parrot season like Lobster season giving the fish time to spawn/breed.

Here in Manitoba we have a limit on how much Pickeral (our fav) we can catch and there is also a weight/length limit as well. Too big? Goes back as those are the breeders...

Whatcha think?

RE: Parrot Fish Ban - JonTom - 07-09-2014

Winni - thanks for the link.

A seasonal ban is an interesting idea - sort of half way compromise. I wonder if parrotfish (or any fish) have seasonal breeding?
Whales do - (or at least some species seen on TV) but they're mammals.

One JA fisherman is quoted as stating that all fish eat coral, therefore all fish would be banned. I don't think all fish do eat coral.

“Ah pure head an belly dem waan see?” - I see a Clovis toon of 'bang belly' coming....

RE: Parrot Fish Ban - JonTom - 07-09-2014

Reading the comments on an article such as this can, at times, illustrate, if not exactly educate, what some people in JA believe.
Actually they could be living anywhere, but sometimes indicate they live in JA.

This one raised a question in my mind:
"Blaming parrot fishing as the main contributor to reef and beach decline is probably a faulty analysis.
It has been established in the past that many other factors like excessive petting by tourists, climate change, polution by sewage as well as the decline of mangrooves have been blamed. Are those factors, been properly addressed?"

What is it that tourists pet? coral? If so what exactly would be excessive petting? personally I've never petted nor witnessed same of coral. I'd think any touching/petting would be unpleasant and therefore excessive. Wink

RE: Parrot Fish Ban - Angel - 07-09-2014

Interesting article, but unfortunately telling someone not to fish won't stop them. Just like the lobster. Or they go out spear fishing and spear anything! Would like the reefs to thrive, so whatever it takes should be done. Winni thank you for this.

RE: Parrot Fish Ban - kylake - 07-09-2014

Thanks Winni for posting the article. I never realize parrot fish was a popular fish to eat in the Caribbean. I lived/worked in Florida for several years and used to snorkel and spearfish but only went for grouper and snapper. There were plenty of parrot fish but always assumed they were not for eating and so did my friends in Florida that taught me how to spear.
I have never seen on the menu or on a plate in Mexico either. So I learned something.

RE: Parrot Fish Ban - Schuttzie - 07-10-2014

Interesting article, thank you, Winni. The idea of the fish sanctuaries could be the answer, too. They seem to already have some in place that are successful.

JonTom, too funny about the people petting, haha!

RE: Parrot Fish Ban - Westenders - 07-10-2014

I can't even get my head around the fact that a fish produces sand!

I think the bottom line is that the JA government doesn't even invest in its people properly, so I can't see how they will fund fish sanctuaries.

We buy parrot fish over here in the UK, so it's not just sold to the Jamaican market.

Ultimately a lot of Jamaicans live off the land and sea at a very basic level, so I personally find it hard to see how they would value beach quality over their need to eat.

Is banning the fishing of parrot fish now a viable alternative to the breakwater project?

Fish farms are certainly something that could help, but in the uk there is a lot of snobbery and objection about farmed fish, so you can't win really.

RE: Parrot Fish Ban - Allan - 04-08-2015

My understanding has always been that parrot fish bite off dead coral with their beaklike mouths to get at the algae. Then they poop out sand. You can hear them merrily crunching while you snorkel and scuba dive. One of the problems I see in Jamaica is that poor Jamaicans get pushed off beach properties by big players as soon as that property is seen to have value for generating tourist dollars. I can see why they might not be all gung ho to support the tourist industry. In the late 1960's, fisherfolk lived on a lot of the Negril beach, and the ocean was pristine, teeming with fish and lobster.  They had crude composting toilets, and their carbon footprint was minimal. The Hills, Mom, Dad and twin sons Dafton and Dalton suddenly got a property tax bill that they had no hope of paying, and were forced to sell. Others did not have proper title even though they had lived on their land for a long time. Along came the businessmen to pave and overbuild, and voila, the Negril of today was born.

RE: Parrot Fish Ban - oldtimer - 04-09-2015

Last year while staying at Treehouse a spearfisher man came in everyday around 10-11AM with lobster and fish . I counted 41 undersized lobsters one day and an attorney from Chicago bought them all . I walked over to him and said they are too small .He said " so what ". The reef at Negril can't possible support the type of fishery it is seeing today . They need more sharks to keep it healthy . These guys that day after day after day kill the babies are the peodophiles of the sea !!!!! The laws have to be followed , plain and simple .Wait until the breakwater is build and then you will see stagnant fishery !!!!! The south shore of Jamaica are doing not a bad job at reeling in the "poor habits disguised as we all have to eat " bullshit . Very poor planing in the world of fishery . Look at the Asians ,they want and will pay the price for every fish in the sea REGARDLESS !!!! of the harm it causes . Parrot fish keep the reef fresh . The reef is suffering from many things BUT !!!!! Parrot fish aren't one of them .

RE: Parrot Fish Ban - rastagirl777 - 04-09-2015

Fish sanctuaries, hah!  Bloody Bay was a fish sanctuary - until they built the RIU's.  Little Bloody Bay was a fish sanctuary - then they built Little Bay Country Club.  The sea by my house was/is a fish sanctuary and its SO not enforced (between all the fishermen, spear and traps, the occasional Cat motoring through, and back in the day, jet skis flinging by).

Jamaicans eat Parrot Fish a lot.  I've tried roasted Parrot Fish, too bony for me. My friends that are born and bred and have had family in Negril for generations do indeed enjoy eating fish, especially fish they catch.

You know what will "save" the reef?  A moratorium on ALL construction, including that hideosity they are planning for Grand Lido.

Oh, and there's no snobbery about farmed fish.  Its a bad practice.  Its not good for you or any fishing industry.  And farmed fish tastes weird to boot.  Coming from a fishing community here in Northern California I can tell you farmed fish is the enemy, though farmed Salmon comes in at about 1/2 the price of wild Salmon.  If you've only ever had farmed Salmon and you get a chance to eat wild Salmon I'll tell you right now you'll never be able to enjoy another piece of farmed fish again.