The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Just back from Negril - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: Trip Report Archive (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Thread: Just back from Negril (/showthread.php?tid=100392)

Pages: 1 2 3

Just back from Negril - Kiknback - 07-08-2014

Back again from another wonderful trip.

Not a whole lot to put in a trip report. I had decided four years ago that I wanted to take a few weeks off during the World Cup. Not "Go to the World Cup." Just take some time off to hang at a bar to watch the games.

There was a $32 per night White Sands groupon deal, and 150J rum and tings at Red Dragon. At home, it would be $6 rum and cokes, and a pretty expensive taxi ride home that would inevitably be needed after watching two or three games at the bar. Using my math, we couldn't afford NOT to go to Jamaica!

So yeah, not a whole lot to report. Wake up. Stumble to the beach for a few hours. Decent game on, I'd hang out at the bar. Wife sometimes joined me, sometimes just chilled at the beach or got a massage.

We had left part of the trip unbooked, and the plan was to hit Treasure Beach. (Thanks again for tips!) In the end, we were lazy and stayed in Negril. Everything I kept hearing about Treasure Beach mentioned how quiet it it. Well, in late June, it's pretty quiet in Negril. Not sure we were ready for quiet beach in quiet season. One day, though, we will spend some time there.

With the unbooked days, we figured we had to be a little adventurous. Never stayed in a castle before. The tower rooms at blue cave castle were $50, so we decided to check it out. It was really damn cool. A great room. Nice bed, nice shower, all that. And in a freakin castle! How cool is that? The penthouse was booked, but I doubt we would have stayed there anyways. We've checked it it out before - the absolute coolest room in Negril, at least that I've seen - but way too many steps for us clumsy drinkers. The lower tower was cool though.

We checked out the cliffs and explored the neighborhood. Always nice to be close to C&D/Jenny's, my favorite restaurant in Negril. But really, kinda quiet. We figured No Limit would have a decent crowd for the games - ehh, not really. We actually went there earlier in the trip. Germany was playing Ghana, and and I had really been meaning to check out the German Bar - this would be the perfect time! Well, they were closed. I think it might have been a "Saturday" thing, I didn't think they were closed for the season, but who knows. Anyway, we were in a taxi, so I said just go ahead and take us to No Limit. We get there, a few people watching, but not the most excited crowd ever. And, more disappointingly, the name lies! I ordered our standard, a Red Stripe for my wife, and an Appleton & Ting for me. My wife got her beer, but me, nothing. The only bartender there was underage - he could serve beer, but not liquor! I had discovered their Limits! Liars! No big deal, of course. Paid for the beer, and we walked across the street to Pee Wees for my drink. As soon as I get my drink, it starts pouring, so we are there for a bit, just us and the bartender. Didn't think of it at the time, but "Stuck in a Rainstorm With Elvis" would make a great country song.

But as much as I liked the Castle, we definitely prefer the beach. I want to stumble to a beach chair in the morning. The cliffs are beautiful, and fun, but not the same. We end up going back and forth pretty regularly, but I want to wake up on the beach. We pretty much confirmed that pretty quick. I almost feel guilty checking out after one night because, really, I did like the place. But we were already set to go back to White Sands in a few days, so we just came back a few days earlier. We had considered trying out somewhere else new, but just wanted to unpack, more than anything. And White Sands is home.

But really, that's about it. Wake up. Head to the beach. Pretty soon head to the bar to watch the game or grab a frozen fruity drink for the beach. Dinner was often jerk chicken from a nearby barrel guy brought back to the bar. Usually in bed fairly early.

It was our first time traveling at this time of year, and it was nice. Some rainy afternoons, but they usually passed through quick. It was certainly quiet in some ways, but there were places doing a good business. White Sands, with the Groupon deal, was reasonably full for low season. The restaurant was doing a decent business, the bar had a nice crowd. I would think other places would do the same sort of deals. I walked the beach early one morning from White Sands to Cosmos. I think Country Country was the only other place I saw that didn't seem rather deserted.

I loved that, even during low season, they had two days with cool, free (with tip) afternoon live music. Drifters, which had a really nice jam session on Fridays from 2-6. And FiWi Bar, next to Bourbon Beach (the old De Buss?) had live music from the Hiyah Grade Band playing Sundays from 12-4. Good food there too, although it seemed to me I was charged the "tourist price" for lunch. Only $10, and I agreed beforehand, so all good, but I am fairly certain that any local would have paid 500J for the curry chicken with rice and peas. It was delicious, and exactly what I'd been craving, but less likely to go eat there again due to the pricing - that just bugs me. But I love the band and had a great time there twice. I love live reggae, but really can't stay up for the late night shows. Boat Bar is closed for the season, but last year they started doing live music on Wednesday afternoons in addition to Fridays. If I can get free live reggae three afternoons a week in Negril, I will be very, very happy.

Aside from that, our usual places. Love hanging out with my two favorite women in Negril, Colette, who runs Colette's Bar in Red Ground, and Connie/Dawn at C&D/Jenny's. Just hard not to have fun around either of them. And of course Tony and Paul at White Sands.

We watched all of the USA games at Red Dragon. Always a fun crowd. We did our best to root on our team. Before we left, my wife bought a cute American Flag dress for a 4th of July party we were going to as soon as we got back home. Pack it! I told her! And all of her other "country" shirts! She has shirts from Agrentina, Greece, and Costa Rica, and looks sexy in all of them. "The flag dress is pretty obnoxious". Bring it anyway! The day of the USA game, she tries it on. Yeah. It's definitely a statement. Don't get me wrong, she looks awesome in it. At a 4th of July party in America. Not necessarily at the FiWi bar, where we planned to check out the band before the game. I put the dress in my pocket, just in case, and she went with plan B, a much more understated (but still cute) shirt. We check out the band for a bit, and then head to Red Dragon for the game. Things start out ugly. USA playing bad, and gave up a first half goal to Portugal. We needed a boost. The dress had to be put on. She went into the bathroom, changed, and turned everything around! Two straight goals for the US! The dress works! Unfortunately a last second goal ties it up, and that ends the luck of the dress. Probably a good thing, as it really was a bit much for Red Ground. But a good time, and a decent run for the USA.

As always, a great time in Negril. It really has become home. We will be back in November, and it can't come soon enough.

And the more I see, the more idiotic this beach restoration idea is. We were just there in February, and since then, there are places with a good 20 feet more of beach than just a few months ago! It's hard to even picture the surf pounding up against Treehouse now that so much beach is back. I think we found the best beach restoration project. It's called "Leave it the F alone".

RE: Just back from Negril - Blues Pirate - 07-08-2014

(07-08-2014, 11:40 AM)Kiknback Wrote:  I think we found the best beach restoration project. It's called "Leave it the F alone".

Ain't that the truth!

RE: Just back from Negril - rootswoman - 07-08-2014

Sounds like a really nice trip.
And yes - the beach - it comes and goes and goes and comes doesn't it?

Do you have any pictures??? wink wink

RE: Just back from Negril - Kiknback - 07-08-2014

I have a few. I'll try to post some in the next few days. Have to shrink them before I post. And Chronixx is playing here tomorrow (woohoo! Can't wait!), so it will probably be at least Thursday before I get to that. But working on it Wink

RE: Just back from Negril - booger - 07-08-2014

Great review Paul. And have to agree that Connie is a great cook, reminds me of my meals at my Aunt's farm in Nebraska. If you want flavor do yourself a favor and go visit Connie at Jenny's/ C&D bar. Not only great flavor but a great host.

RE: Just back from Negril - oldtimer - 07-09-2014

What a nice report !!!!! GOOD JOB !!!!

RE: Just back from Negril - kylake - 07-09-2014

Thanks Kiknback for a very nice report

RE: Just back from Negril - jitterbug - 07-09-2014

kiknback, thank you!!! sounds like you guys just roll with whatever comes along . . . good way to be in negril!

RE: Just back from Negril - Schuttzie - 07-10-2014

Thank you for your report, Kiknback! Sounds like you got some good deals through groupon. I agree with Jitters about just going with the flow. You have to do that where ever you travel, for sure. Can't wait for pictures!

RE: Just back from Negril - Trelawnyterry - 07-10-2014

Kiknback, How was the Chronixx show last night ?