The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 41 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Jitterbug "the reason you don't see many expats visible in the west end...gated homes - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Jitterbug "the reason you don't see many expats visible in the west end...gated homes (/showthread.php?tid=100375)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Jitterbug "the reason you don't see many expats visible in the west end...gated homes - rastagirl777 - 07-05-2014

I am choosing to start a new thread to respond to this because I did not think it fair to hijack LBB's thread any further with such pettiness.

I debated how I was going to address this ignorant comment AGAIN. **sigh** It seems that your "experience" in MY neighborhood amounts to a couple of meals at a local restaurant (how did you like the gates they lived behind, hmmm? Or maybe their "expat" neighbor across the street??? Oh, right! That's no expat... that's the home of Mrs. Tate, one of the original Negril families....!) and then creeping around in the bush and poking your nose in a private yard just to say...what? To make gross assumptions about the people that live there full time - hard working business people??? Whose homes you know NOTHING about beyond the gate you lurked at? How disrespectful - shame on you and the others that were with you that day.

Fact is folks, if you actually SPEND TIME in my West End neighborhood you'll find a tight knit community of Jamaicans and expats in homes both modest and as oppulent as you'll find in Jamaica - shop keepers and mechanics and gardeners along with retirees, business owners and vacationers just like myself. Our yards might have gates and fences...but our HEARTS do not. Go ahead, take a walk up Hylton Ave., or down West End Road south of the patty shop. Sit for a spell and have a beer with me and my neighbors on a cool December night, shooting the shit until its time to go home. We take all comers. ALL COMERS (hey Gerry, why not make a stop at the Bun Bun shop before you go over to Bantons?)

I guess what I'm getting at is that I personally am tired of having to "defend" the way I spend my time on my VACATION. I work too hard and too long hours to get to a point of spending a few months in a HUMBLE rented home to visit with my the friends I've loved for 2 decades. And I think anyone who needs to denegrate the way one chooses to live their lives in general has to be pretty darn miserable with theirs, or why bother? Does it creep me out that middle aged tourists run around with underage hookers and snort bad cocaine until the cows come home? You bet. But hey - if that's what THEIR good time is about far be it from me to do anything but to roll my eyes and thank the good lord for my own good life.

I "get it" For some reason Jitterbug you think you are "more Jamaica than I". That's fine; I don't live in your world so who am I to argue. From where I'm sitting right now, I'm very happy with "my" Jamaica, my time there and my friends. I hope this can be put to rest finally - I think we're more on the same page than we're not but even still....its about respect. Lets give that a try or we might all as well go back "over there".

PEACE OUT!

RE: Jitterbug "the reason you don't see many expats visible in the west end...gat... - wendy - 07-05-2014

thank you for starting another thread....carry on Smile

RE: Jitterbug "the reason you don't see many expats visible in the west end...gat... - jitterbug - 07-05-2014

get over yourself . . .

RE: Jitterbug "the reason you don't see many expats visible in the west end...gat... - booger - 07-05-2014

Both of you need a happy pill, just saying......

RE: Jitterbug "the reason you don't see many expats visible in the west end...gat... - Westenders - 07-06-2014

I think I agree with what suzengrace said on another thread, that all our experiences in Jamaica add spice to the variety of life.

I enjoy reading everyone's experiences of Negril and the rest of the island, as some places I haven't been, and some I have but experienced in a different way.

You guys that have all been going for 20-30 years I love reading your experiences through the years,

I don't think it matters where you stay, hay we now stay mostly in a hotel. You try telling my hubby he is not Jamaican cos of that lol..
RG , loved your point about gates around the house not your heart.

I loved jitters point in another thread about no current and water getting old. Gave me a chuckle that as I agree completely, and for me good indoor plumbing when in Jamaica is my bottom line. I won't stay long in country anymore either, I get bored very quickly. I prefer to be by the sea.

And honestly I never realised that there was this huge boardie community in JA either, which now intrigues me. When we are over there later this year, I shall certainly see some things with different eyes.

RE: Jitterbug "the reason you don't see many expats visible in the west end...gat... - suzengrace - 07-06-2014

RG...all got to say is there was a time(cause you've seemed to mellow out-but people dont forget harsh words) that whenever someone came on a board (TA, N.com, this board,etc)and noted a particular incident happening to them and they talked about it...if it never happened to you or one of your "peeps" that somehow it didnt exist or was fabricated or discounted...You would go on and on about living there for so many months since 83 (BTW my first time in Jam too-at t-waters and dancing all nite at red roof club )the months you spend there and and all the friends you have there that live there, yada , yada.... The know-it-all dont- question- my- authority -figure.. if it didnt happen to you then we must be at fault or we dont flex like a true local and we must be a lowly tourist because you live in real jam community amongst the locals and its never happened to you..and you would state it in an arrogant manner.

I must say i was shocked that after all your years of being so ingrained in Jam that you'd never had any bad /negative experience -esp with any local jams (and yes i mean black local jams -not white people who have lived there for many generations) You'd act shocked why it would ever happen to us and never happen to you.. I honestly was shocked why you never had a bad incident to you say...but when you say after going there 30 yrs and you are now just getting out and about from your yard..and knowing your yard and who lives there and surrounded mostly by ex-pats and local jams who have to work for or provide services to the ex-pat community..it makes more sense..(and yes i know your area -like i said my partner grew up and lived and worked there-i've spent a few years there)

No one is trying to win an award who is "more Jamaican" and who lives more authentically.. we all have our own different experiences based on where we live and how we flex in there. I know a few travelers who have had some experiences am straight up jealous of... camping in blue mts, getting invited by elders to nyabinghis, taking route taxis/buses and go allover the island and inland ..working with the farmers in st thomas, etc..

I have to admit am also envious whenever i hear stories from some of the old timers..ie old timer, sharleen and the captain about the good ole days..or when times were very different.. I;m really excited for captain and his re-building in spring garden..

I'm glad to see that you acknowledge that my yard and yours is like apple and oranges..cause it is..

But to think that a few people on this board stalked you is delusional...Your yard is no big secret..its right there on the west end road behind the gates ..people pass by it all the time on the west end road..I've actually been in it once a few years back when my partners friend was doing maintenance there..Have to admit you have a million dollar view and locale on the cliffs..so what if people want to see where you "live" when they happen to be in "your" neighborhood" .so what if they want check out your place you talk about so much...but to think people stalk "you "......or at least the people on this board who've you deluded to..your wrong.....curious about your place you rent a few months out of the year not you..,,,

RE: Jitterbug "the reason you don't see many expats visible in the west end...gat... - jitterbug - 07-06-2014

suzengrace, thank you . . . since english is not my first language, i lack the skill to put it together so eloquently . . . thanks susan.

i chuckled at the "peeping" . . . i'm 5 foot . . . would have to be climbing a ladder to peep into "fort knox" . . . still laughing . . . and yes, i was driving by with some of my "peeps" . . . still laughing . . .

edited to add: i re-read rg's comments and name calling and at the end, low and behold, there goes that word "respect" . . . after doing all that name calling at her age and then "let's have some respect" . . . ignorance at it's best!!

RE: Jitterbug "the reason you don't see many expats visible in the west end...gat... - captaind on Zion Hill - 07-06-2014

My place is easy to find and you're all invited. If you need directions call Linston at 376-3652

We have just cleared another half acre and are putting Moringa seedlings in.

Cap

RE: Jitterbug "the reason you don't see many expats visible in the west end...gat... - kylake - 07-06-2014

Quote: jitterbug wrote:
i chuckled at the "peeping" . . . i'm 5 foot
Are you sure? I guessed you were 4'11" when we met this last reach...........:-) Peeping on that ladder you carry around I guess:-)
And let me end this 'play' with the words, "One Love"

RE: Jitterbug "the reason you don't see many expats visible in the west end...gat... - kaycee - 07-06-2014

(07-06-2014, 03:56 PM)captaind Wrote:  My place is easy to find and you're all invited. If you need directions call Linston at 376-3652

We have just cleared another half acre and are putting Moringa seedlings in.

Cap

I would love to see your place upon my next reach, thanks for the invite!