The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
JA lobster laws - closed season, grace period, proposed changes - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: JA lobster laws - closed season, grace period, proposed changes (/showthread.php?tid=100318)

JA lobster laws - closed season, grace period, proposed changes - JonTom - 06-13-2014

Here are a few (realatively) recent articles that discuss the "closed" lobster season, changes made ~2009, the 21 day "grace period" (for "frozen", or technically, previously caught, which I suppose should be frozen) and some discussion on changing them.

I think I read an article saying authorities have a difficult time proving that lobster sold during the 21 day grace period was not freshly caught, but I can't find it.

JHTA Against Extended Close Season For Lobster
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140331/lead/lead7.html

JET Backs Call For Longer Lobster Closed Season
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140114/lead/lead91.html

Now, if they could find lobster off Goat Island... then you might have some controversy Wink

RE: JA lobster laws - closed season, grace period, proposed changes - rastagirl777 - 06-13-2014

I think the 21 day grace period was intended for those who had stock they needed to get rid of - you don't really want frozen lobster hanging around for 2 months, fresh is best.

Like all laws in Jamaica, this one is not regularly enforced yet the restaurants I personally frequent all abide.  Its the poachers like the guy on the beach that regularly sells baby lobsters I avoid like the plague and encourage others to do so as well.  Its tough enough enforcing the closed season - its gotta be really tough to enforce the "grace period" to ensure that no illegal lobsters are being sold then.

I've only been in Jamaica once during the closed season and we all refrained from ordering lobster from anywhere at all, grace period or not.

RE: JA lobster laws - closed season, grace period, proposed changes - booger - 06-13-2014

I was there a couple of weeks ago and asked a couple of places on the beach if they could get me some lobster. They both said yes! I do not like lobster, I was just simply doing an experiment to see if there was any real concern on the restaurants part to abide by the law. Like a lot of other things in Jamaica, the lack of enforcement empowers these folks to carry on as usual. While I did not see any cages, it could be procured if one wanted some. 

RE: JA lobster laws - closed season, grace period, proposed changes - rastagirl777 - 06-13-2014

Booger, it would be great if you would name names.  Something that can be done as a visitor is to name places that will procucre illegal lobster for you, publicize it and encourage others not to patronize that place even when lobster season is on.  Money talks.
"Cages" or lobster pots as they are commonly called won't be seen during closed season - too easy to get busted.  Poachers will go out and spear lobster as per request.

RE: JA lobster laws - closed season, grace period, proposed changes - gerryg123 - 06-13-2014

There were cages at Booby Cay in May.

Well!  There ya go - not that I've been to Booby Cay since the 80's but word is out now not to partake of their lobster at any time.

RE: JA lobster laws - closed season, grace period, proposed changes - Oldtimer2 - 06-13-2014

As a lobster fisherman for over 50 years I can tell you for sure LOBSTERS ARE NOT RABBITS !!!! they need about 7 years to reach the size of keepers whether here in Nova Scotia OR !!!! the crayfish in Jamaica . I have seen lobsters with spawn on then in Negril and people still buy them . It's unfortunate but you can buy lobsters ANYTIME !!!! in Negril. I also say NAME THE NAMES !!!!!!! The only big lobsters now come from the Pedro Banks off the south shore. DON'T BUY LOBSTERS !!!!! in the closed season EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they were just caught !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you get any .

RE: JA lobster laws - closed season, grace period, proposed changes - Westenders - 06-13-2014

Hi

we went over to booby cay in May last year and there was lobster on offer too. It was late afternoon so don't know how many people had been over already. 

RE: JA lobster laws - closed season, grace period, proposed changes - booger - 06-13-2014

I'm not going to name names. I asked two places and both said yes, so I'm sure the odds while not perfect are pretty good. I'm just adding some reality to the so called lobster season. They were small places that were not attached to a hotel and I happened to have a keep it real conversation with one of the places as I frequent it often every trip.