The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
rare virus spreading in Caribbean - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: rare virus spreading in Caribbean (/showthread.php?tid=100269)

Pages: 1 2 3

rare virus spreading in Caribbean - Sharleen - 05-22-2014

http://news.msn.com/in-depth/painful-and-rapid-spread-of-new-virus-in-caribbean
This sounds like a creepy illness -- I haven't read anything in the Gleaner or Observer about a diagnosed case in Jamaica yet. 

RE: rare virus spreading in Caribbean - Coconut - 05-22-2014

Whew... that sounds awful. Keep my fingers crossed that it dies out fast.

RE: rare virus spreading in Caribbean - kylake - 05-22-2014

Quote:"The evidence suggests that once you get it and recover, once your immune system clears the virus you are immune for life," Nasci said.
This makes me think a vaccine could possibly be developed. Thanks for posting.

RE: rare virus spreading in Caribbean - JonTom - 05-26-2014

We were flying back through St Martin 2 days ago (where the highest concentration of the virus has been reported).

We had been on a nearby island, w/ fewer reported cases, but were very aware before we went that the virus was spreading so we were extra cautious with generous applications of deet-type sprays. Felt we did a pretty good job on that and believe-it-or-not, I only had one mosquito bite.

Sitting on the plane waiting for boarding to finish and a mosquito flies right in front of my face. Panic!!! - where are those Off Deet Wipes??? Wiped as fast as we could and didn't feel any bites, but would prefer not to see the little buggers on my plane.

So far only sypmtoms we have is depression from being away from those Caribbean waters - so, guess we'll be OK.

RE: rare virus spreading in Caribbean - kylake - 05-26-2014

Which nearby island did you stay on JonTom?

RE: rare virus spreading in Caribbean - JonTom - 05-26-2014

Hi kylake - we were on Anguilla. Thinking of posting something under "trip reports"- although it wouldn't be a trip report but has some nice beach/water pics and is obviously not JA, but I appreciated JeannieB's (and others) reports of non-JA places.

Have some laundry and other things to take care of first.

RE: rare virus spreading in Caribbean - Tanfastic - 05-26-2014

Thanks for the info Sharleen, sounds like exactly what I've been struggling with for the last 2 months, only difference is with my Valley Fever I'm having severe breathing issues as well. The bursa sacks in my joints (both knee's & ankles and right elbow) keep popping and causing really bad bursitis. Makes me nervous about our 16 day trip to Ochi/Negril in late Sept since my immunities are down, BUT nothing will stop me from going home!

RE: rare virus spreading in Caribbean - Schuttzie - 05-27-2014

Oh, my goodness that sounds really painful!  Be careful with mosquito spray, Tanfastic.

JonTom, I'd love to see and hear about your trip!

RE: rare virus spreading in Caribbean - rootswoman - 05-27-2014

Tanfastic, my God, thats sounds horrible.

My 20 year old great Nephew ended up in the hospital this spring and nearly lost his life to pneumocystis pneumonia - he has finally taken a turn for the better and after some weeks on a respirator he is unable to do anything. He will have to spend the summer in rehabilitation learning to walk and function again. They still don't know why a seemingly healthy young man's immune system failed as it did. I am not putting this into the proper words - but the Pneumonia I am referring to is the pneumonia that late stage AIDS patients often get. The doctors never discovered why he got so sick - they finally ruled out Cancer (and he is not HIV+ the poor kid is still a virgin)

The only thing they can think of at this point, is that it was a severe reaction to his anti seizure meds, as he suffers from epilepsy.

It has been a hell of a spring for our family. My sister - who is the grandmother of this boy - has been in the hospital all spring with Kidney failure - she is refusing dialysis so we had to start preparing for her death. My niece was dealing with this when her son became ill during his finals in college.

The good news is, my sister recovered from whatever was making her so sick and her kidneys are functioning much better. She is at a nursing home back east now and it looks like she will be going home instead of going into a Hospice.

I kept thinking my great nephew had one of these new viruses but they determined it wasn't viral .

RE: rare virus spreading in Caribbean - Kandm - 05-27-2014

Gosh RW that's a lot for one family to go through. Healthy thoughts and prayers being sent their way.