The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 41 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: Trip Report Archive (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Thread: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril (/showthread.php?tid=100266)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - gerryg123 - 09-28-2014

I guess one of the funnest things of all about vacationing in Negril is just cruising around on the scoooter, up and down the hill and across Beach Road.

I so enjoy all the sights and sounds, and just about every time out I see someone I know and give a little wave. And I always snicker at the desperate "ehh!"s from the local girls as I speed by.

If you're a single guy, it's hard to go more than a mile or two without hearing that.

It's even more fun if you find a riding partner. I cherish the moments I can convince another tourist to rent a scooter alongside me. These past two reaches, I had Tattoo Charlie, John Midiri (both) and Mike Kelly aka Beachballer (second).

I didn't see Beachballer as much as I had hoped, nor Marko. Those two were doing their own thing most of the time -- the LOVE the ladies -- and though we often touched base, we did not hang much.

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - gerryg123 - 10-02-2014

On the previous reach, I had met a local named Tony who rented scooters at a good price including the one Midiri was using. I kept in touch between trips and asked if I could get one for $10 a day for 12 days -- about half market price, but considering he was an independent and it was low season, I thought he might do it, and sure enough he agreed.

As the trip got closer, I continued to keep in touch and asked several times if we were all good, and he said ya mon. A few days before, I called and asked if he needed anything from the USA -- big mistake, Jamaicans are NEVER shy about asking for stuff -- and he asked for t-shirts. Since I was getting a good deal, I took good care of him and bought him four new Hanes t-shirts, nice ones, in the wrapper.

That cost me an extra 12 bucks or so, plus I told him I would tip him if everything worked out. When I got to Negril, he took the shirts but also asked for an extra 20 dollars, saying he had agreed to give me the bike for too cheap. I shrugged and gave him an extra 20, making it 140 for 12 days, plus the shirts.

Then, after a few days, I checked in and said thanks for the deal and that I was enjoying the scooter. Big mistake again, he said he wanted 20 more dollars again, but this time I said bite me, I will tip you at the end.

Then, the bike started messing up and kept stalling. He wanted to pick it up from me, but since I didn't even know where he would be taking it plus I had paid in full in advance, I said no, I will just deal with it.

Oh by the way, in the meantime, I made arrangements for Midiri to rent Seastar Garrett's scooter, so Garrett would not be left in the cold. I wanted to be loyal to Garrett, but I also wanted to save 120 dollars over 12 days.

Then, as the trip was winding down, Tony says the deal was for 11 days, not 12 -- a blatent lie -- and so we argued about that, too. I thought I had a good point when I said: "Then why, if the original deal was $10 a day, did I pay a total of 120 dollars at the beginning? Do the math, dude."

Overall, the whole thing was a bad experience, though technically I did get the best deal in my long Negril history of renting Scooters. But god I had to work for it.

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - gerryg123 - 10-06-2014

Both Ahh Bees and German Bar were temporarily closed at the same time, a tough break because both are among my favorite restaurants; Ahh Bees has incredible spicy burgers and convenient location near Seastar, and German Bar has awesome prices (five dollars for a medium pizza, ten for a large) and great-tasting entrees.

The reasons, in my opinion, were not good enough. Aubie was purportedly on vacation, but he was actually in the states because of a death in the family, he later told me. The owners of the German bar had gone foreign, too. My beef in both situations is why not, in the whole town of Negril, did they not trust anyone to run the business while gone? Are the workers in both establishments that untrustworthy?

Frankly, I'm often disapponted with the work ethic of local business owners, particularly the smaller bars and restaurants. I don't know how many times I've drove past Banton's or Sexy Rexy's or Ras Rody's during business hours and wanted to stop in but no one was manning the store.

That's weak. There is no excuse to just bail like that.

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - jitterbug - 10-06-2014

wow gerry, after all your tripping in negril, you seem to have no understanding of how businesses are run . . . you are not in the u.s. . . . i'm sure if the owners felt that it was worth to keep their businesses open, they would have!!! . . . it's a tough go, especially in the off season . . . have a little compassion for those owners!!!

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - captaind on Zion Hill - 10-07-2014

Linston stopped driving for the summer and we worked on Zion Hill. Even running his regular route there's not much as a lot of the hotel workers are on rotating layoff. Only one-one airport trip.

I spent several winters in Cape May and Ocean City New Jersey which are large tourist/vacation venues. During the winter the population drops by 90% and the town is deserted.

Just the nature of business.

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - oldtimer - 10-07-2014

I almost have to agree with GerryG123 on this . Where I worked and where they (locals ) made the same $'s as we did (Canadian workers ) they still wouldn't come to work. NO WORK ETHIC as far as I can see . Or is it "culture " again. I'm damn well sick of that excuse .

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - gerryg123 - 10-07-2014

Fair enough, Captain D. But also, I see a lot of this happening during prime time like in April and during Christmas season.

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - Westenders - 10-09-2014

Gerry, I kinda of get where you are coming from too. There is a level of distrust in employees in some businesses.
Hence the writing every sale down, which is not just stock control, and being watched like a hawk like staff are for example in Hilo and the Chinese stores.

But yes some of the closures in negril is seasonal in those businesses relying heavily on tourists.

The mother in law has a shop in lucea, where she watches like a hawk and is there 24/7. Custom is largely local so luckily no seasonal trade dips.

So I don't think you were way off base with your thoughts. Jmo.

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - gerryg123 - 10-26-2014

I guess I will always love Negril, warts and all. I adore beach destinations whenver I have enough spare time to travel, and I have no interest in anywhere but Negril. Alas, it will be that way forever.

I also love the friendships and relationships I've made there. The tiny enclave has just won my heart.

I will be back. See you pon the Rock everyone.

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - dlee - 12-07-2014

Gerry I'm so glad ton find you and your report here! I wondered where everyone was!